Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School Ages for my P2 son

School Ages for my P2 son

Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:28 pm
togooff&things

Smile School Ages for my P2 son

My wee boy will be 7 at start of June 2005. Currently he has just begun primary 2. Someone I was taking to reckons if we go to Oz around Christmas time as aimed, he will enter school in Oz in Primary 1 again. Is this correct? If so then, I don't have to worry about us going mid term if needs be as he will not miss anything he hasn't already done (in theory, anyhow!) Anyone shed a ray of light?

Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: School Ages for my P2 son

Originally Posted by togooff&things
My wee boy will be 7 at start of June 2005. Currently he has just begun primary 2. Someone I was taking to reckons if we go to Oz around Christmas time as aimed, he will enter school in Oz in Primary 1 again. Is this correct? If so then, I don't have to worry about us going mid term if needs be as he will not miss anything he hasn't already done (in theory, anyhow!) Anyone shed a ray of light?

Have a look at this page of info from a school that we are thinking of in Perth.

http://www.shps.edwa.net.au/school/start.htm

It may give you a better idea.

Sam
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Hi

My daughter is same age and I get the impression that she too will start in year 1, I don't think it will a problem for her as school seems to be just an extension of her social life but if they take school very seriously boredom may be a problem having to repeat most things.

Lindsey
Old Aug 19th 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lindseyden
Hi

My daughter is same age and I get the impression that she too will start in year 1, I don't think it will a problem for her as school seems to be just an extension of her social life but if they take school very seriously boredom may be a problem having to repeat most things.

Lindsey

Hi

My son is the same age to, & starts back in year 2 in sept, if it's correct & they do go in yr 1 in oz, can anyone explain to me why they do this!!!!
I have read somewhere that you can speak to the teachers regarding this & they will assess the situation, & they may even put them into what year they would of been in the UK.

Paula
Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:19 pm
togooff&things

Well, it seems from that above link that he will indeed go back a year. Well I guess it's better that way round than missing a year and being bottom of the class. Still I see what you mean about boredom!

Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

The reason this is done is because they don't start full time education until they are 6, which personally I think is far better than sending them to school when they are only 4 and should be having fun and learning life skills from their parents.

As I said before I'm not at all worried about Maisie starting again in year 1 but I can understand why others would be.

Lindsey
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:17 pm
togooff&things

The reason this is done is because they don't start full time education until they are 6, which personally I think is far better than sending them to school when they are only 4 and should be having fun and learning life skills from their parents.

As I said before I'm not at all worried about Maisie starting again in year 1 but I can understand why others would be.

Lindsey
Cool - that must mean that parents don't have to work before children are 6 then....right? (I wish!)

Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unfortunately not but there are, apparently, lots of good (and bad) childcare facilities for pre school children, so no excuse, back to work the week after giving birth for you my dear!!

Lindsey
Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Last of the Summer Wine country...Soon to be Melbourne
Flossybean is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm actually quite relieved to hear that my son might be going in at year 1 again, he's about to start year 2 in September, but is struggling a bit I
have been told that he just wasn't ready to start school when he did at four, so going back a bit might help him to catch up.

Flossybean
Old Aug 19th 2004, 10:07 pm
togooff&things

Unfortunately not but there are, apparently, lots of good (and bad) childcare facilities for pre school children, so no excuse, back to work the week after giving birth for you my dear!!

Lindsey
LOL! OH Bugger!

Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:07 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Different states have different start ages and different dates in the year for cutoff - it's all very confusing. As a general rule you can expect your child to go back a year compared to the UK. Whilst they will then repeat stuff they know already I would strongly recommend considering the negative impact of gettign your child put up a year. A 7 yr old in an 8 yr olds class may mean no big difference but a (future) 13 in a 14 yr old class may do.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flossybean
I'm actually quite relieved to hear that my son might be going in at year 1 again, he's about to start year 2 in September, but is struggling a bit I
have been told that he just wasn't ready to start school when he did at four, so going back a bit might help him to catch up.

Flossybean
Hi ya Flossy....in Melbourne, the first year they go to primary is known as Prep(preparitry year - i believe its short for) and then they go into grades 1-6...they start school at 5, which is when both my niece and nephew did...My nephew, as his birthday is Jan, started right when he turned 5...my neice turned 5 in Oct...so she started the following Jan....

Hope this helps a little

Hels
Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

As a comparison, my daughter turned 7 at the end of May 2003, and she was in year 2 at the time.
Because we had just moved up from Sydney, the principal did say they may re-consider which level to put her in, after a few weeks, as she was so much ahead in English.
However they kept her in that level, as she was behind in Maths.
Different State have different curicculums (better get her to check my spellng of that when she gets home )

Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:47 pm
togooff&things

Originally Posted by jayr
Different states have different start ages and different dates in the year for cutoff - it's all very confusing. As a general rule you can expect your child to go back a year compared to the UK. Whilst they will then repeat stuff they know already I would strongly recommend considering the negative impact of gettign your child put up a year. A 7 yr old in an 8 yr olds class may mean no big difference but a (future) 13 in a 14 yr old class may do.
Fair comment!