school ages

Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

helenwilson will become famous soon enough
Default school ages

Getting very confused about the school ages in Australia.

Hoping to migrate August 2008.

Eldest son dob 20/09/1991 - he will have just finished his gcses here and be coming up for 17 - my research tells me kids in australia would be going to uni at this age! If we were staying here he would want to carry on and do his a levels and then go to uni. Where would he fit into the school system in Australia?

next son dob 28/12/94 - will he be the youngest or eldest in his year in Australia. He'll be coming up to 14

youngest daughter dob 21/07/2002 - confused altogether about what year she will be go into. She'll be 6

any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school ages

Originally Posted by helenwilson

Eldest son dob 20/09/1991 - he will have just finished his gcses here and be coming up for 17 - my research tells me kids in australia would be going to uni at this age! If we were staying here he would want to carry on and do his a levels and then go to uni. Where would he fit into the school system in Australia?

next son dob 28/12/94 - will he be the youngest or eldest in his year in Australia. He'll be coming up to 14

youngest daughter dob 21/07/2002 - confused altogether about what year she will be go into. She'll be 6

Which state are you heading to?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

In NSW your eldest would be half way through year 11 in August 2008. This would actually not be a very good time for him to start as kids start the HSC (Higher School Certificate) programme at the begining of year 11 and sit the exam at the end of year 12. Six months in he might find himself stuck with options that he may not want purely because that's where the spaces are; also there are attendance and coursework requirement that he'll have missed, though of course there must be a way to accommodate overseas students. Have a look at www.tale.edu.au which is really useful. The whole school age thing is much more flexible here so he might be better off going back a year - touble is if he goes into the last half of year 10 the rest of his year will be getting ready for their SC exams (School Certificate).

My eldest's birthday is 8/93 and he has just started half way through year 8 where he is one of the oldest (in the UK he was the youngest in year 9 - this is much better for him). Looks like your son will be in exactly the same situation this time next year.

Your daughter could be half way through kindy at the moment if you had wanted (kids can start school in January if they are already 5 or if they turn 5 before 31st July. However, if their birthdays are between January and July they don't have to start until the following January), so basically you could start her either half way through the kindy year if you wanted, or half way through year 1 - it would be up to you (though the school may have a preference depending on spaces).

Hope that helps. If you're not coming to NSW it's irrelevant.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Which state are you heading to?
hopefully going to Perth
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that your eldest would currently be in year 12 leaving at the end of this year. I can't help with options after that.

Assuming you arrive in August 2008 your middle child would be in year 9 on arrival (probably one of youngest) and your youngest would be in pre-primary and one of the older children as the cut off dates changedin 1996.97 here in WA
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:46 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My understanding is that your eldest would currently be in year 12 leaving at the end of this year. I can't help with options after that. TEE or TAFE or an apprentiship or a job

Assuming you arrive in August 2008 your middle child would be in year 9 on arrival (probably one of youngest) I concur and your youngest would be in pre-primary and one of the older children as the cut off dates changedin 1996.97 here in WA and again - I concur

My comments are in red above
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

saville is just really nicesaville is just really nicesaville is just really nicesaville is just really nicesaville is just really nicesaville is just really nicesaville is just really nicesaville is just really nicesaville is just really nicesaville is just really nice
Question Re: school ages

Hi i also have a dilemna, we want to move to adelaide next year as soon as visa comes Feb to May, but my 15 year old son is due to sit his gcse although looking at his school report he's not ready. Do we stay to let him do exams or move and let him do exams out there, as i was hoping they may put him back a year to prepare him more. also do they recognise gcse out there. Thanks for any info
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saville
Hi i also have a dilemna, we want to move to adelaide next year as soon as visa comes Feb to May, but my 15 year old son is due to sit his gcse although looking at his school report he's not ready. Do we stay to let him do exams or move and let him do exams out there, as i was hoping they may put him back a year to prepare him more. also do they recognise gcse out there. Thanks for any info
My lad was born in Nov 92 and will be going into year 10 in January, so if yours is already 15 he would be in year 10 now and going into year 11 next year.

Here's a link explaining what happens in SA for years 10 and upwards: http://www.sacsa.sa.edu.au/index_fsrc.asp?t=CB

If your son is supposed to be sitting his exams around the time that your visa comes then I think I would let him sit them anyway as it will only be a few months difference, they could always send the results to a relatives house or you could ask them to send them to you here.

If it's the year after then I would just come out here and get him into the Australian system.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

I am a secondary teacher in NSW, have no idea about Perth. Contact the local public system, they will set you straight. Or a variety of schools from the public, christian, private and catholic sector, then compare responses.

Bottom line in nsw, for your 1991 kiddy, I think he needs to start year 11 to do his preliminary studies. Many kids in my sons year (DOB 13.03.91) are 15, 16 and 17 and a few are 18. It is a confusing system and there is no simple answer. My kids are 2 years in age apart, were 2 academic years apart in uk but are now 1 academic yr apart here. I am very sad to have my baby heading off to uni at 17. This also causes slight social isolation due to getting into pubs etc. My biggest baby finishes soon (DOB 12.03.89) and is very mature and OVER school. (her words and mine, also the teachers!) I think this is because she has come from London and very mature.
Good luck
Tara
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:35 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My lad was born in Nov 92 and will be going into year 10 in January, so if yours is already 15 he would be in year 10 now and going into year 11 next year.

Here's a link explaining what happens in SA for years 10 and upwards: http://www.sacsa.sa.edu.au/index_fsrc.asp?t=CB

If your son is supposed to be sitting his exams around the time that your visa comes then I think I would let him sit them anyway as it will only be a few months difference, they could always send the results to a relatives house or you could ask them to send them to you here.

If it's the year after then I would just come out here and get him into the Australian system.
But in WA '92 born children are currently in yr 10 and will be going in to yr 11 Feb 2008.
I know this as my daughter is one of them !
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sme
But in WA '92 born children are currently in yr 10 and will be going in to yr 11 Feb 2008.
I know this as my daughter is one of them !

I know, crazy isn't it

But they were asking about Adelaide, which is why I answered
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by saville
do they recognise gcse out there.
YES FOR SURE. MY DAUGHTER GOT GOOD RESULTS AND THIS HELPED HER HEAPS, there are so many British here in education too, so most places understand, where I teach the Brits and Irish nearly outnumber the ozzie teachers.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the responses, still confused but it does sound as if he will be able to go back to school and carry on to uni. I feel so guilty for messing their education around. Just hope it will all be worth it. anyone got any success stories for teenagers who have gone to Perth and loved it?
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks for the responses, still confused but it does sound as if he will be able to go back to school and carry on to uni. I feel so guilty for messing their education around. Just hope it will all be worth it. anyone got any success stories for teenagers who have gone to Perth and loved it?
If he wants to learn he will be fine, my experience in NSW is that the kids are so young for their age. There are normal kids, dysfunctional kids, sheltered and street wise kids everywhere. They all find their niche. However, it has been a rocky road for us. So happy and then so sad BUT no intentions to return. Regrets maybe, guilt definately, ultimately our kids love it here most of the time and have no intention of being a teen in London. Thankfully!. We have been here 20 months now and love it, despite the sad times (being without family etc).
It is a great place, if I could turn back time, and could have scored the points for the visa, I would have done it a decade ago.