Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School age confusion ?????

School age confusion ?????

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light
Default School age confusion ?????

hi,
can anyone advise me what school year my daughter will be in in australia?
i've just been looking on another forum & someone posted the year they turn a certain age and then the corresponding school year they will enter into as below:
year you turn 13 grade 8
year you turn 14 grade 9
year you turn 15 grade 10
year you turn 16 grade 11
year you turn 17 grade 12

my daughter turned 12 november 2007, which means she tuns 13 this year.
does that mean when we move over in a few months time she will be going straight into year 8?
i am a little confused as she has only just started year 7 over here?
does this mean she will miss a whole year of school?

my son makes more sense, he turned 9 august last year, so means he will turn 10 this year, putting him in year 5, which he is in in the UK.

i hope you understand as i have waffled slightly
would be really grateful if someone could fill me in

many thanks
lisa
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:02 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School age confusion ?????

Originally Posted by lolylew
hi,
i've just been looking on another forum & someone posted the year they turn a certain age and then the corresponding school year they will enter into as below:
year you turn 13 grade 8
year you turn 14 grade 9

does that mean when we move over in a few months time she will be going straight into year 8?

my son makes more sense, he turned 9 august last year, so means he will turn 10 this year, putting him in year 5, which he is in in the UK.

many thanks
lisa
Year 8 is the first year of senior school here. I had 1 child that went from just starting year 8 in the uk to doing the final term of year 9 in Perth. My 2 little ones who had started yrs 2 and 4 in UK and went into the final term of pre-primary and year 2.
They are all fine and are with their age appropriate peer groups which I personally feel is the most important factor
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
year you turn 13 grade 8
year you turn 14 grade 9

many thanks
lisa
It really depends on when during the school year they have their birthday - and that varies from state to state but a child who is 12 in November 2007 will be in year 7 during 2008. In Qld, SA and WA, year 7 will be in a primary school and in all other states that will be the first year of high school.

Your son, having an August birthday (after the cut off), if you arrive this year, will go into year 4.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sme
Year 8 is the first year of senior school here. I had 1 child that went from just starting year 8 in the uk to doing the final term of year 9 in Perth. My 2 little ones who had started yrs 2 and 4 in UK and went into the final term of pre-primary and year 2.
They are all fine and are with their age appropriate peer groups which I personally feel is the most important factor
saw this thread and thought i would ask about my son, he is 5 next week and in reception year in school (first year infants) we will be going to australia in july this year, will he be old enough for school????? what year will he be in?
thanks in advance
steve
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steveandtina
saw this thread and thought i would ask about my son, he is 5 next week and in reception year in school (first year infants) we will be going to australia in july this year, will he be old enough for school????? what year will he be in?
thanks in advance
steve
If you were coming to WA i believe your 5 year old would be in pre-primary which is full days.

My daughter is a June birthday and just started Kindy. Her peers are from 3.5 to 4.5.

So to attend Kindy this year you have to turn 4 by the end of June 09 (the year in which they start school) and to attend pre-primary you would have to turn 5 by June 09 to start pre-primary. This is WA only though.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveandtina
thanks in advance
steve
Yes he will be eligible for full time school no matter where in Aus you settle. It will be called different things in different states but as long as he has turned 5 by 30 April then he will be fine for anywhere. Here in ACT it will be kindergarten.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

hi,
year you turn 13 grade 8
year you turn 14 grade 9

many thanks
lisa
Hi Lisa,

On one of the government websites there is a plce where you can put in their date of birth and it tells you what year they go into. My son started year 2 in the UK last Septmeber but didn't start year 2 in Oz till this February. They are basically 5 months behind. The school year cut off date is 1st July to 30th June. This means that if you are born in July or August and would normally have been say in year 2 you will only be in year 1 here. I hope that makes sense. I will try and find this website and send it to you.

Sarah
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
year you turn 13 grade 8
year you turn 14 grade 9

many thanks
lisa

Its confusing cause nearly every state is different ( fun if you ever move from state to state ) .

Thing to remember in some states - qld and it looks like WA kids finish high school the year they turn 17, younger than UK then. Which is why she is appearing to jump ahead, they do one year less of school. However eg in qld this has now changed so what school ages appply to your 13 year old wont apply to your 5 year old. No idea if perths changing too. All fun if we went to Victoria or the UK the kids would now have to do another year of school.

Dont worry about your kids being behind, most UK kids seem well advanced education wise, in fact many are suddenly gifted on arrival.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its confusing cause nearly every state is different ( fun if you ever move from state to state ) .

Thing to remember in some states - qld and it looks like WA kids finish high school the year they turn 17, younger than UK then. Which is why she is appearing to jump ahead, they do one year less of school. However eg in qld this has now changed so what school ages appply to your 13 year old wont apply to your 5 year old. No idea if perths changing too. All fun if we went to Victoria or the UK the kids would now have to do another year of school.

Dont worry about your kids being behind, most UK kids seem well advanced education wise, in fact many are suddenly gifted on arrival.
I think the thing about WA is that they have raised the compulsory school leaving age to the end of the year that the kid turns 17, which is effectively the end of year 11. For NSW and ACT it is still 15 (or 14 years and 9 months if they stretch the point).
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I think the thing about WA is that they have raised the compulsory school leaving age to the end of the year that the kid turns 17, which is effectively the end of year 11. For NSW and ACT it is still 15 (or 14 years and 9 months if they stretch the point).
Qld was a great place for getting them through school quickly, our dec 93 one would finish grade 12 (final school year uni entrance) at 16 and 11 months. System changed last year to introduce prep and a later starting age date, however the old system still applies to the older ones but you can hold them back if you feel they would be too young to be doing what will be their uni entrance scores at 16

All too confusing there should be one system australia wide IMO.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hi Lisa,

I have found this school age calculator. It works for my kids ages.

Sarah

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/ece/calculator.html
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mad.chef
Hi Lisa,

I have found this school age calculator. It works for my kids ages.

Sarah

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/ece/calculator.html
That's for WA, you need to be aware that other states have different cut off dates for entry so it is not wise to rely on this one, nor on the table in the OP which can be wildly wrong if the child has a birthday outside the cut off date.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Candy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the rough

For NSW I was given this chart (not that it helps you in other states!)

born between Kindy Year 3 Year 5 Year 7 Year 11
1 May 1988 & 30 April 1989 1994 1997 1999 2001 2005
1 May 1989 & 30 April 1990 1995 1998 2000 2002 2006
1 May 1990 & 30 April 1991 1996 1999 2001 2003 2007
1 May 1991 & 30 April 1992 1997 2000 2002 2004 2008
1 May 1992 & 30 April 1993 1998 2001 2003 2005 2009
1 May 1993 & 30 April 1994 1999 2002 2004 2006 2010
1 May 1994 & 30 April 1995 2000 2003 2005 2007 2011
1 May 1995 & 30 April 1996 2001 2004 2006 2008 2012
1 May 1996 & 30 April 1997 2002 2005 2007 2009 2013
1 May 1997 & 30 April 1998 2003 2006 2008 2010 2014
1 May 1998 & 30 April 1999 2004 2007 2009 2011 2015
1 May 1999 & 30 April 2000 2005 2008 2010 2012 2016
1 May 2000 & 30 April 2001 2006 2009 2011 2013 2017
1 May 2001 & 30 April 2002 2007 2010 2012 2014 2018
1 May 2002 & 30 April 2003 2008 2011 2013 2015 2019
1 May 2003 & 30 April 2004 2009 2012 2014 2016 2020
1 May 2004 & 30 April 2005 2010 2013 2015 2017 2021
1 May 2005 & 30 April 2006 2011 2014 2016 2018 2022

The formatting is a bit out but I think it should be ok to follow
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Aquamarine will become famous soon enoughAquamarine will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Candy Groove
For NSW I was given this chart (not that it helps you in other states!)

born between Kindy Year 3 Year 5 Year 7 Year 11
1 May 1988 & 30 April 1989 1994 1997 1999 2001 2005
1 May 1989 & 30 April 1990 1995 1998 2000 2002 2006
1 May 1990 & 30 April 1991 1996 1999 2001 2003 2007
1 May 1991 & 30 April 1992 1997 2000 2002 2004 2008
1 May 1992 & 30 April 1993 1998 2001 2003 2005 2009
1 May 1993 & 30 April 1994 1999 2002 2004 2006 2010
1 May 1994 & 30 April 1995 2000 2003 2005 2007 2011
1 May 1995 & 30 April 1996 2001 2004 2006 2008 2012
1 May 1996 & 30 April 1997 2002 2005 2007 2009 2013
1 May 1997 & 30 April 1998 2003 2006 2008 2010 2014
1 May 1998 & 30 April 1999 2004 2007 2009 2011 2015
1 May 1999 & 30 April 2000 2005 2008 2010 2012 2016
1 May 2000 & 30 April 2001 2006 2009 2011 2013 2017
1 May 2001 & 30 April 2002 2007 2010 2012 2014 2018
1 May 2002 & 30 April 2003 2008 2011 2013 2015 2019
1 May 2003 & 30 April 2004 2009 2012 2014 2016 2020
1 May 2004 & 30 April 2005 2010 2013 2015 2017 2021
1 May 2005 & 30 April 2006 2011 2014 2016 2018 2022

The formatting is a bit out but I think it should be ok to follow
Thanks so much for this - has finally put my mind at rest that I know what I will be doing with my 14 year old in NSW if we get out this year (well, at least in terms of his school year - the rest is all trial and error - think I'm in the middle of a re-make of "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers" with him this week )
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

My youngest is only going to be 5 in July 2008, but is in Kindergarten class in Sydney. I think it very much depends on state. In NSW the cut off is actually 31st July. My oldest is an October Birthday, born 1993 and is basically 5 months behind what he would be in the UK. However, a friend of mine in Perth, WA, has a daughter 6 days younger who is a year ahesd, as there the intake is according to calendar year of birth.
I think the original poster is heading for WA, and that the information they were first given is correct for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.