Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School after visitor visa expires.

School after visitor visa expires.

Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:05 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute
Default School after visitor visa expires.

We are due to arrive in Australia on 9th March, and my wife and children have 12 months visitor visas while their spouse visa is being processed. On the visa, it states that my son, 7, is only allowed to study for 3 months during that time.

How do we continue to educate our son after the three months if the spouse visa for my wife and children hasn't been processed? Is there a way of extending the length of time? Will the school just kick him out at the end of the 3 months?

It's obviously a concern to us as we don't want him settled in one school, which he then has to leave, and we then cannot get him back into the same school with friendly faces.

Thanks, as always.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:09 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School after visitor visa expires.

Originally Posted by gregster10217
We are due to arrive in Australia on 9th March, and my wife and children have 12 months visitor visas while their spouse visa is being processed. On the visa, it states that my son, 7, is only allowed to study for 3 months during that time.

How do we continue to educate our son after the three months if the spouse visa for my wife and children hasn't been processed? Is there a way of extending the length of time? Will the school just kick him out at the end of the 3 months?

It's obviously a concern to us as we don't want him settled in one school, which he then has to leave, and we then cannot get him back into the same school with friendly faces.

Thanks, as always.
I'm not sure you can - could you not get citizenship for him rather than the visa Gregster?
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have thought it's an occupational hazard of doing things the way you have.

You could always stay in the UK until the permanent visas have been issued and then your son wouldn't be missing any school.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:24 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'm not sure you can - could you not get citizenship for him rather than the visa Gregster?
I really don't know what the situation is regarding citizenship is for the children. I looked into it when my son was born, and at that time was under the impression that I had to have lived in Australia for a total period of 2 years for him, and subsequently, my daughter to qualify for citizenship? Is this the case or has something changed allowing them to become citizens sooner?

And no, it's not feasible for my wife and children to stay in the UK.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:28 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't know what the situation is regarding citizenship is for the children. I looked into it when my son was born, and at that time was under the impression that I had to have lived in Australia for a total period of 2 years for him, and subsequently, my daughter to qualify for citizenship? Is this the case or has something changed allowing them to become citizens sooner?

And no, it's not feasible for my wife and children to stay in the UK.
According to the website - if you are Australian by descent you need to have spent 2 years in Australia at any time - have a look - http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...born_overseas/
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, as always.
You need to talk to the educational authority where you will be living. They may discretion to allow your child to attend school as you are waiting for permanent visas, but it will probably be something you'd have to pay for at temporary resident costs.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Leave the wife and kids in UK until their permanent visas arrive. Tourist visas aren't meant for people to live, work and go to school. You can go and get things set up for their arrival.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:16 am
Living the dream in WA

Thanks for the advice, but it's important for us to make this move as a family, and I couldn't get a later start with work. Could you leave your kids for 6+ months? Well I couldn't and we want to experience the move together.

Will speak with the school once we arrive.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Why would the dicks issue your spouse and kids with a 12 month visa based on a pending visas without letting them attend school.

Bureaucrats not communicating again.

If I were you I'd say f888 it. Just keep them at the school.

How long are visa applications taking these days?
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Why would the dicks issue your spouse and kids with a 12 month visa based on a pending visas without letting them attend school.

Bureaucrats not communicating again.

If I were you I'd say f888 it. Just keep them at the school.

How long are visa applications taking these days?
Because the visa they are on at present is a tourist visa. Once the PR visa is issued they can attend school no problem.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, but it's important for us to make this move as a family, and I couldn't get a later start with work. Could you leave your kids for 6+ months? Well I couldn't and we want to experience the move together.

Well then try some forwarding planning and thinking. Apply for the proper visa, get it and only then plan your move, you know like most normal people.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Because the visa they are on at present is a tourist visa. Once the PR visa is issued they can attend school no problem.
Yeah I know. Having been in a similar situation (a forced work move at short notice) I had the choice of leaving Mrs Beoz behind until the visa was ready or bringing her with. We opted for leaving her behind so she could continue to work but it was no fun and very stressful. All the furniture was on the boat and she had to live in an empty house, sleeping on an airbed for 2 months. We even thought about ditching the Aussie citizenship and applying for a 457 to speed up the process. In my not so humble opinion the whole spousal visa thing is a basket case.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well then try some forwarding planning and thinking. Apply for the proper visa, get it and only then plan your move, you know like most normal people.
Some occupations are only really open to employer sponsorship which OP has, and doesn't need visa as Oz citizen. However, he does need spouse visa which has been applied for, but start date cannot be delayed, so they have tourist visas for spouse and children until PR issued so all can move together. DIBP don't have an issue with that - OP is only querying schooling.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Could I have left my OH for 6 months with the kids? If it were the sensible option then sure I could! Only 6 months, that's a blip in a long lifetime. Sometime you have to be pragmatic rather than emotional and running the risk of being refused schooling over the period set down would be one of those pragmatic decisions in my book. Just as well we're all different I guess.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 7:39 am
Living the dream in WA

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Some occupations are only really open to employer sponsorship which OP has, and doesn't need visa as Oz citizen. However, he does need spouse visa which has been applied for, but start date cannot be delayed, so they have tourist visas for spouse and children until PR issued so all can move together. DIBP don't have an issue with that - OP is only querying schooling.
Thanks old sparkles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.