British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   school (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/school-324538/)

leby Sep 6th 2005 8:30 pm

school

hi i am 14 a live in england and i am moving to perth in february 2006.i have just started year 10.

1.do ya do coursework in perth ?
2.can you please tell me what the equivalent of a GCSE is ?.
3.can anybody suggest any nice schools 4 me around the mullaloo area ?.
4.is there alot 2 do in the mullaloo area ?.

thanks joe age 14 :)

the Macs Sep 6th 2005 8:39 pm

Re: school

Hi Joe

Where are you migrating to? The only reason I ask is that myself and my husband (and 10 year old daughter) are looking at migrating to Perth - my friends migrated today (to Hilarys), and we have been looking at schools near Duncraig, but depending on the job situation may be nearer Fremantle.
Were there any particular websites that your parents found of use that they could pass on?? Obviously you would be eligible for High school rather than Primary (as my daughter would be) but any other info your parents could provide would be appreciated....

Thanks

Heidi
(unfortunately aged 34!)

leby Sep 6th 2005 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by the Macs
Hi Joe

Where are you migrating to? The only reason I ask is that myself and my husband (and 10 year old daughter) are looking at migrating to Perth - my friends migrated today (to Hilarys), and we have been looking at schools near Duncraig, but depending on the job situation may be nearer Fremantle.
Were there any particular websites that your parents found of use that they could pass on?? Obviously you would be eligible for High school rather than Primary (as my daughter would be) but any other info your parents could provide would be appreciated....

Thanks

Heidi
(unfortunately aged 34!)

hi heidi joe ere.
we are also migrating to perth mullaloo as i have 2 uncles who live there.
i also have a sistor aged 12 and a brother aged 7.a website my mum looks on is called poms in perth. when are u migrating to perth???we live in the oldham are where do u live??

speak 2 ya soon joe :)

the Macs Sep 6th 2005 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by leby
hi heidi joe ere.
we are also migrating to perth mullaloo as i have 2 uncles who live there.
i also have a sistor aged 12 and a brother aged 7.a website my mum looks on is called poms in perth. when are u migrating to perth???we live in the oldham are where do u live??

speak 2 ya soon joe :)

Hi Joe

I live in Kent

Haven't yet made a final decision to migrate, need to go over and look at the place (as my friends are biased). If it's a goer, need to get my our visa's sorted as a skilled migration (I know it's easier than it sounds!)
I have heard of the website you mentioned, and will check it out..Thanks for the info, if your parents can suggest anything else that may help us, would be fab if you could let me know..

Cheers

Heidi

renth Sep 7th 2005 1:50 am

Originally Posted by leby
hi i am 14 a live in england and i am moving to perth in february 2006.i have just started year 10.

1.do ya do coursework in perth ?
2.can you please tell me what the equivalent of a GCSE is ?.
3.can anybody suggest any nice schools 4 me around the mullaloo area ?.
4.is there alot 2 do in the mullaloo area ?.

thanks joe age 14 :)

Mullaloo's got a great beach and good surf life saving club which you could join & Mum and dad can use the cheap bar (and you can too when you're older).

lynnbrooks Oct 8th 2005 6:57 am

bumping this thread so that our lovely expats in wa could give us some thoughts on the schools
Lynn

lindseyden Oct 8th 2005 8:00 am

Hi Joe

We didn't move to Mullaloo when we did eventually come here but I did do a lot of research for that area before we left. The schools here are very strict on their catchment areas, so if you are going to a state school you will more than likely have to go to the school that covers the area to which you move. If you go to a private school you can be more choosy. My son was just starting year 10 in the UK when we moved here and did 3 weeks in yr 10 here but was then moved on to year 11. Year 11 and 12 are the years where you study for exams it's sort of a cross between years 10,11 and sixth form in the UK. If you leave school at 15 you only leave with a leavers certificate which really is not much more than a confirmation of having attended school. So it really is advisable to go into years 11 & 12, there is a certain amount of course work but you'll be used to that with all the work you'll be doing in yr 10 now.

Mullaloo is a very nice area with great beaches.

Good luck
Lindsey

lynnbrooks Oct 8th 2005 9:43 pm

[QUOTE=lindseyden]Hi Joe

We didn't move to Mullaloo when we did eventually come here but I did do a lot of research for that area before we left. The schools here are very strict on their catchment areas, so if you are going to a state school you will more than likely have to go to the school that covers the area to which you move. If you go to a private school you can be more choosy. My son was just starting year 10 in the UK when we moved here and did 3 weeks in yr 10 here but was then moved on to year 11. Year 11 and 12 are the years where you study for exams it's sort of a cross between years 10,11 and sixth form in the UK. If you leave school at 15 you only leave with a leavers certificate which really is not much more than a confirmation of having attended school. So it really is advisable to go into years 11 & 12, there is a certain amount of course work but you'll be used to that with all the work you'll be doing in yr 10 now.

Thanx for that,do you have any info on state primary,secondry and high that are good or to avoid,in the northern burbs of perth?
Lynn

sharon_gareth Oct 10th 2005 2:19 am

Hi Lynn

We are in Woodvale (about 5Km inland than Mullaloo) and although I have no kids yet I know the schools are good. In fact next door (also from the UK) have choose to send their eldest daughter to Woodvale rather than a Private school. You will need to be in the catchment area though to send your children there as its a popular school.

I have put together some info on the education over here and you will dind links to other useful sites too. http://www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-i...education.html

Good luck

Sharon
www.immigrateperth.com

lindseyden Oct 13th 2005 10:58 pm

Sorry Lynn

We ended up moving south down to Mandurah so I can't help you.

Lindsey