Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scholarship\Grant for a Permanent resident of OZ

Scholarship\Grant for a Permanent resident of OZ

Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:49 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scholarship\Grant for a Permanent resident of OZ

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As a PR holder? Didn't know that. Thought they would only be available to Citizens.
I got a Scholarship and a Bursasy on a student visa - most are open to anyone (unless they specify they're not of course) but plenty are available to non-PR and PR as well as citizens. Some are only available to non-citizens from other countries - but they usually want the non-citizen to return 'home' after study to 'share' what they've learnt.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

ahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tking
Right,

1. What do you want to study? (Subject, level - are you wanting to do a degree BA, BSc, BAppSci? or post-grad?)

2. Where do you want to study? Sydney, Brisbane etc...

3. Do you have a good academic background? Top marks from school etc.

4. What country are you from originally? Sometimes scholarships are offered to people from particular backgounds - country, religion, parents occupations....

If you can at least answer questions 1 and 2 you should look at the University websites as many are advertising scholarships at the moment - eg. Griffith Uni in Brisbane is offering 400 scholarships and is advertising on the radio at the moment.

Good luck.
Hi tking,

here are the answers to your question.

1. It would be study for a degree like BSC or BE.

2. most probably it would be in either Sydney or Melbourne or where ever I can get the scholarship from.

3. I am not sure how much is considered to be good academic background in Australia, I have scored 75% in 12th standarad and 86% in 10 standard which is a first class and distinction in India.

4. I am an Indian Muslim. does that help to get any scholarship?

Thank you all for your time and patience to answer my questions!!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:20 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

So your next port of call is to identify exactly the subject you wish to study - engineering, science (general) chemistry etc.

Then find all the Uni's that offer that subject in Melbourne and Sydney. Go to their websites and look up scholarships.

Also, go back to the JASON website I gave you and do a search for those subjects and also search for 'Indian' 'Muslim/Islamic' scholarships. You may get lucky!

You'll have to do a lot of work to find a scholarship and then hope your academic qualifications are good enough to beat all the competition.

Good luck.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahmedwaseem2000
Hi tking,
3. I am not sure how much is considered to be good academic background in Australia, I have scored 75% in 12th standarad and 86% in 10 standard which is a first class and distinction in India.
Thank you all for your time and patience to answer my questions!!
It would help if your score can be equated to top 1% of students, preferably top 0.5%. If not, I doubt you will get a scholarship.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
It would help if your score can be equated to top 1% of students, preferably top 0.5%. If not, I doubt you will get a scholarship.
That's what I was thinking. 75 and 86% are not really scholarship marks here from what I've seen and heard. My daughter wanted to study biology at uni and was told she would need to be top 1% of her school to have any chance. Marks in the 97-99% range.