Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Is Gold Coast beauty student Schapelle Corby.......
Guilty
12.50%
Innocent
66.67%
Don't really care - but sick to death of hearing about it !
20.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Schapelle Corby

Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schapelle Corby

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I think she is innocent. You would have to be incredibly stupid to try and take that amount of drugs to another country. Also value of cannabis is higher in OZ than In Indonesia, which means commonsense would be that people would try to take it out of Bali, not bring it in.

Lesson to be learn't here: Put Pack your cases yourself AND ensure you have padlocks on all luggage and the keys on your body. Don't think they will be sen as a security threat somehow.

I was under the impression, that one is required to leave suitcases unlocked these days. It's that or risk having ones locks smashed by customs at any stage. That is certainly the case with America, I thought it was a worldwide requirement.

If the dope was meant to be taken off in sydney and she Didn't know anything about it, then of course she is innocent. A innocent mule.

Personally though, I'd say 65 pct innocent. Something not right about this case.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
It looks like those terrorists who did the Bali Bombing and murdered 88 Aussies and 35 Poms and around 60 other people will not get the death penalty and probably end up being relaised after doing a few years. However an Aussie who is most likely innocent of smuggling some grass faces the death penalty. If she was guilty and it was heroin a drug that actually kills people then l might agree.
She won't get executed. She'll serve a couple of years & then be released to sell her story to the highest bidder. I reckon she's guilty.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:56 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon from an Indonesian Legal point of view she is 100% guilty of importing 4Kg of pot. It was in her luggage, therefore guilty.
The question of whether or not she put it in there or knew it was there will affect the sentence but not the verdict. Liken it to driving at 100 kph in a 60 kph zone but your speedo says 60 kph. You would still be prosecuted for driving at 100 kph even though it's not your fault.
Is she really a drug smuggler? No idea. We only see/hear in the press what we are meant to. It's all about politics and this govt would like to be seen to be doing good things for an Aussie citizen, they could surely do with some good PR.

Andrew
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:03 am
ABCDiamond

The question I keep thinking is: Why would she take drugs TO Indonesia ?

The street value in Australia has to be at least 10 times the value it would be in Indonesia.

That's the bit that makes no sense, and creates the impression in most peoples mind of her being innocent.

Why would she take it to Indonesia, when everyone else try to bring it the other way ? Apparently it's even grown there quite openly:
Banda Aceh, Indonesia - Of all the tales of miraculous survival in December's tsunami disaster, one in particular has the people of Indonesia's Aceh province reaching for their cooking pots.

Although vast swathes of land were destroyed in the devastation, one crop mostly survived, thanks to the fact that it was grown in the hills, high above the flat coastal areas.

And although marijuana is illegal in Indonesia, its use is widespread in Aceh where it is traditionally added to curry and even coffee, as well as being smoked.

Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:11 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Baksheesh or Fuego!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

She is innocent...and the media best keep it active or other wise she will be forgotten....another lost in the pile of gunk that goes on in the world.

The media need to keep it out there to show Aussies the risks associated with traveling to these places. This has been going on for a long time..is not new. Our young aussies need to be careful ...she is not the first in this situation and won't be the last...
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:22 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz

Even if she is related to drug dealers she's innocent till proven guilty.

Not under Indonesian law, unfortunately..
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:23 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I was about to hit "Innocent", but it would certainly be plausible that she was intentionally carrying drugs to Sydney, where for some reason a baggage handler or other did not remove the package, it then following her on to Indonesia. This overcomes the "why smuggle to a cheaper priced country" argument. I'll reserve my vote for now.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:24 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
Schapelle Corby

There is no option for:

"Don't have enough evidence/info. one way or the other to make a judgement"

but I'd choose that if it were there
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:51 am
Badge

Send in the SAS and get her out I reckon. Bali has stuffed up, all Australians have to do is boycott Bali - I mean who will want to go if they know they could be stitched up. Tourism would be damaged.

If it was my wife I would personally be jumping on the Bali Justice Minister's case and getting on everyone's case big time, the politician don't do enough.

I can't understand the death sentence, she may well be innocent, as long as there is any doubt she can't be convicted.

Badge

Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:58 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
Send in the SAS and get her out I reckon. Bali has stuffed up, all Australians have to do is boycott Bali - I mean who will want to go if they know they could be stitched up. Tourism would be damaged.

If it was my wife I would personally be jumping on the Bali Justice Minister's case and getting on everyone's case big time, noone seems to do enough.

I can't understand the death sentence, she may well be innocent, as long as there is any doubt she can't be convicted.

Badge
Who is stitching who up? Certainly not the Indonesions stitching up Australians. According to some investigations by Hack on JJJ the Australian Federal Police knew about these interstate drug operations run by baggage handlers yet they did nothing. It is Australians stitching up australians. Who do you boycott then? Qantas Brisbane to Sydney flights?

You have also pointed out the what IMO is the biggest problem with the death penalty. Justice systems in the most stable of democracies are fallible and the use of the death penalty will always kill the innocent as well as the guilty.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:00 pm
Badge

Well any traveller arriving in Bali with drugs planted.

Badge

Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:02 pm
ABCDiamond

If it was my wife I would personally be jumping on the Bali Justice Minister's case and getting on everyone's case big time, the politician don't do enough.

Badge
There is one flaw with that. One convicted person appealed against his life sentence, and got the death penalty instead. It doesn't pay to upset the Indonesians.

I agree with not going to Bali. With the possibility of that type of thing happening, there is no way I would travel there now.

Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Innocent i would say.but i think the brother might have had something too do with it.But as others say who would be so stupid too take drugs into a country where they arn't worth as much.
No way would they get through customs here in OZ.I so the people who checked her bags should be fired.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:12 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Well any traveller arriving in Bali with drugs planted.

Badge
It appears that the drugs may have been planted at Brisbane, not on arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.