Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The scary truth about Aussie houses...

The scary truth about Aussie houses...

Old May 16th 2004, 12:18 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default The scary truth about Aussie houses...

...is that they *don't* have airing cupboards!! Be warned!

Woe is me... Now we'll have to cancel our plans to move over here . (Mind you, as I write this, MarkMyWords is hunched over his top of the range CAD system, busy designing one for me. Bless...)

Although the Aussies invented rotary clothes dryers, it does rain here sometimes, and not all garments can be tumble dried. So, pray, how do the Aussie home-makers manage?

Anya.

Old May 16th 2004, 12:22 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

My mother used clothes racks. Mind you, we had a typical Brisbane high-set house and could hang them on the racks under the house in the garage.
Old May 16th 2004, 12:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by The Bloke
Or - as some people do - leave the clothes out till it stops raining, they dry eventually!
There is a lot of truth in that

Old May 16th 2004, 12:58 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by The Bloke
Hang the stuff on clothes racks all over the house, which you then fall over frequently....which I guess is why most Aussie homes have a laundry room. Or - as some people do - leave the clothes out till it stops raining, they dry eventually!
But if I did that, I'd have the RASPCCJ (Royal Australian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cashmere Jumpers) after me...

YIKES!!

Anya.
Old May 16th 2004, 1:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, guys, that wasn't a pearl of wisdom from The Bloke, it was me.... he logged himself on and walked away!!! grrrrr

so here it is again...

"Hang the stuff on clothes racks all over the house, which you then fall over frequently....which I guess is why most Aussie homes have a laundry room. Or - as some people do - leave the clothes out till it stops raining, they dry eventually!"

Confused, I am?!!!
Old May 17th 2004, 2:20 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: The scary truth about Aussie houses...

Originally posted by anya4oz
...is that they *don't* have airing cupboards!! Be warned!

Woe is me... Now we'll have to cancel our plans to move over here . (Mind you, as I write this, MarkMyWords is hunched over his top of the range CAD system, busy designing one for me. Bless...)

Although the Aussies invented rotary clothes dryers, it does rain here sometimes, and not all garments can be tumble dried. So, pray, how do the Aussie home-makers manage?

Anya.

Don't really need tumble dryers in Brisbane.. but when it does rain, a lot of people have lines in the garages. Clothes tend to dry overnight in the garage. My own washing line is a retractable one positioned under the eaves.... out of sight, out of view ( I hate ugly washing lines plonked in the garden.. " oh so common" ).. so the clothes don't get wet in the rain. Have a large laundry room but no lines in there.. I don't want to mess up the paintwork on ceiling with condensation. ... eek!

Don't have an airing cupboard, because unlike the UK .. my "heater/boiler" tank is outside the house... bad downfall of not having an airing cupboard.. you tend to ( if you're anything like me.. and hate ironing) have an overflowing basket full of clothes needing to be ironed. Unlike the UK where you can chuck them in the airing cupboard.. and forget all about the ironing.. out sight out of mind.

one thing I can't get hubby to do is the ironing, no matter how much I try ! so muggin's here ends up doing it all... if I'm away for weeks at a time, and he's left on his own to cope, he has a system .. he puts his trousers and T-shirts under the mattress to be ironed flat!! shirts he puts on a coathanger when wet to dry.. he never touches an iron ..lol .Mind you, he also hasn't worked out .. not to wash fluffy things with my best $$$ "moleskin" trousers in the washing machine!! argh!!!!!!! .. I always hand wash my delicate items ... I swear he does it on purpose.. just so he'll be banned from the laundry duties.. must try that myself to get out of things I hate doing .. I'll try it on the lawnmower next time I've been sentanced to wade through the long grass.... ohh I didn't know I was not supposed to put sugar in the tank.lol

Last edited by Ceri; May 17th 2004 at 3:20 am.
Old May 17th 2004, 4:23 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Anya, if you didnt live in Melb, you wouldnt need an airing cupboard!

Ceri, does your hubby want to attend the Dagboy School of Ironing where you learn how to iron & how to do it naked as well - 2 reasons it will please you
Old May 17th 2004, 5:26 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

Ceri, does your hubby want to attend the Dagboy School of Ironing where you learn how to iron & how to do it naked as well - 2 reasons it will please you
you've given me an idea for a new business venture.... is it legal? There must be thousand upon thousands of women who would be happy to pay for this service.
Old May 17th 2004, 5:34 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally posted by Ceri
you've given me an idea for a new business venture.... is it legal? There must be thousand upon thousands of women who would be happy to pay for this service.
So along as you don't force them to use starch for that extra stiffness
Old May 17th 2004, 5:43 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

I must be a freak... I like ironing. Turning a wrinkled bit of cloth into a smooth expanse appeals to my tidy mind somehow. I keep on threatening to give up IT and run a private ironing service instead. Not sure about the naked bit though! Oo-er missus.

Mark
Old May 17th 2004, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We never had an airing cupboard in any of our houses in England, must be you Northerners that have them
How did you fit a load of washing in there anyhow?? For me it was essential to have tumble drier and if that broke it would be clothes all over the radiators for days.

You don't really need one here as Ceri says clothes dry really quickly. Especially as most items are pretty thin.
Old May 17th 2004, 6:45 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

You think thousands of women would be happy to see Dagboy iron naked? Or would be happy to send their husband to his Ironing School? LOL

Mark, nope, not a freak, Dagboy enjoys it too, not sure how much is enjoyment in the nakedness & how much is enjoyment of the ironing bit though :scared:
Old May 17th 2004, 7:20 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, what's all this talk of airing cupboards??? Anyone got a pic?
Though I guess it's a pantry/cupboard sort of thing where you can fit ALL your laundry???

Here in Holland people often hang it in the attic. Or in the staircase. And in the summer on lines outside or a 'hills hoist'.

We just have a rack in the spare room, and in the summer it can go on the balcony.(not attic or garden)

A study in the Netherlands a while ago said: 1 out of 5 men iron naked. (my theory is they come out of the shower and have to iron there clothes before putting on)

Old May 17th 2004, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

debsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone
Yes, what's all this talk of airing cupboards??? Anyone got a pic?
Though I guess it's a pantry/cupboard sort of thing where you can fit ALL your laundry???

Here in Holland people often hang it in the attic. Or in the staircase. And in the summer on lines outside or a 'hills hoist'.

We just have a rack in the spare room, and in the summer it can go on the balcony.(not attic or garden)

A study in the Netherlands a while ago said: 1 out of 5 men iron naked. (my theory is they come out of the shower and have to iron there clothes before putting on)

sad but here ya go
Attached Thumbnails The scary truth about Aussie houses...-airingcup.jpeg  
Old May 17th 2004, 7:48 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by debsvirgo
sad but here ya go
Ahhh, thankyou!!!

So, you lay everthing in there..
Now, the airing part: does air blow through it?

We definetly don't have these things in Holland, even though it is a similar climate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.