Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scared about travelling on my own

Scared about travelling on my own

Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Thomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really nice
Default Scared about travelling on my own

Hello, I'm 25.

I've already got my visa and plan to go Melbourne at some point in October this year. I have yet to book flight.

Any tips or anyone else going at the same time?
Old Jun 30th 2016, 9:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared about travelling on my own

Originally Posted by Thomas C
Hello, I'm 25.

I've already got my visa and plan to go Melbourne at some point in October this year. I have yet to book flight.

You're young and unencumbered. You're going to meet loads of people in no time. Get yourself involved in everything you can from the start and you'll be fine.
Old Jul 1st 2016, 2:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Scared about travelling on my own

Hello, I'm 25.

A friend of mine did a big trip like yours and ended up marrying the girl he was sitting next to on the plane! Still married 20 years later!

If you travel by yourself you will meet loads of people.

BB
Old Jul 1st 2016, 4:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey there and welcome to BE.

My husband is originally from the West Midlands. Wolverhampton

Scary but exciting all at the same time.

You're so going to have a fab time. Fair play to you.
Old Jul 1st 2016, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is an excellent place to be to start your adventure. Join meetup.com. They have a few Melbourne groups. Especially one called Newbies in Melbourne - designed just for people like yourself. There are also some good facebook groups for Victoria and Melbourne you could join too. You'll have a blast!
Old Jul 1st 2016, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'd be scared too! When I travelled on my own back in 1970, I met and married the Australian who had been my husband for the past 43 years! You could get stuck!!!

(That's a joke by the way - I often travel alone, nothing to be scared about! Have a great time!)
Old Jul 1st 2016, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I'm 25.

Don't be scared, be excited. Bloody hell, imagine what it was like for those of us that came over on our own the 80s! No internet, social networks were bbqs and we had Lettergrams instead of Instagram
Old Jul 1st 2016, 7:26 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Don't be scared, be excited. Bloody hell, imagine what it was like for those of us that came over on our own the 80s! No internet, social networks were bbqs and we had Lettergrams instead of Instagram
"In my day....." Good point though!

I agree OP, you'll only be as alone as you want to be. My 20 year old nephew went to Oz on a work/holiday visa, travelled around the country with various people he met along the way, had an absolute ball.

Met a lovely French au pair, they're now living in Paris together, trying to work out a way to get back to Australia.

Just relax, you're going to have the best time and meet far more people than you realize
Old Jul 1st 2016, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Thomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really niceThomas C is just really nice

Thanks guys.

I will have a look at those meet up groups.