British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Scarborough/Doubleview/Woodlands Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/scarborough-doubleview-woodlands-perth-670731/)

waynerach Jun 2nd 2010 8:36 am

Scarborough/Doubleview/Woodlands Perth

Hi, I am just wondering whether these places and surrounding are a good choice for a family of 4 - with 2 young children. We are looking to come over to perth this year. My husband is a gas fitter/plumber and i will also be going to work once the children are settled. Are there plenty of activities to do there for a family also what are the schools and cost of living like here.

HelenTD Jun 2nd 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Scarborough/Doubleview/Woodlands Perth

Hi, yes, these suburbs are good for a family. They are much closer to the CBD, so less commuting time, and have more transport options. Nearest major shopping centre Innaloo, plus Karrinyup very close too. There are also several primary schools nearby and these suburbs are in the catchment area for a good high school (the highest performing state high school last year).

All 3 suburbs are in the City of Stirling, the local council. They have been very aggressive about increasing residential densities, so these areas are very much a mix of housing, which gives you plenty of choice, often at a reasonable price, as supply is high and if you get here before Spring, when the rental market picks up ready for the beach season, plenty of choice.

There are individual detached houses (one house on the block/piece of land), a detached house with another, probably newer, one behind, with their driveway going alongside your house. There are also townhouses, usually 2-3 storey, 3-4 on a block, villas, single storey, 4-12ish on a block, and there are unit developments (but you wouldn't want those with a family). This is particularly the case with Scarborough. The more properties there are on a block, the higher the density, the more noise and traffic and the lower the amount of outside space = not good for a family. There are parks around, though, so you can take the kids there for a good run around. However, you do have to choose your property carefully, otherwise you might end up a drive away from a park, rather than a walk.

Scarborough: large suburb, with several different characteristics, on the coast. Some pockets really nice, others to avoid. Scarborough has a mix of permanent residents, tourists and backpackers, a large number of renters (42%). Two large parks, Abbett Park and Butlers Reserve, and small parks dotted around. Scarborough planned for massive re-development, with 8-storey buildings near main intersection. Lot of building going on generally.

Doubleview: just to the east of Scarborough and a smaller suburb, again a mix of housing, generally OK. Can't think of a large park at the moment.

Woodlands: south of Doubleview, generally more sheltered, leafy. Houses mainly on larger blocks, less sub-division. Great park at Jackadder Lake.

Also look at Karrinyup, a very family-friendly suburb and next to Scarborough and Doubleview (stay south of Karrinyup Road for access to Churchlands SHS).

Schools: last time I checked, Doubleview was very hard to get into, unless you lived in the catchment, otherwise state primary schools tend to have a relaxed attitude towards enrolment: Scarborough, Newborough, Woodlands, Deanmore (school being totally replaced right now). Catholic schools St Dominic's, St John's, Holy Rosary, more a suburb or two away. I have heard various reviews from parents at these schools, it's a very personal choice and you would need to do your homework. Woodlands and Deanmore probably the best of the bunch, check their NAPLAN scores at the My Schools website.

For general cost of living in Perth, have a look for other recent threads. There are also threads on plumbing that you should check out. For those of us already living in Perth, it does feel an expensive place to live, and the "monopoly money" goes flying through your hands.