Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scarborough Beach (Perth) Redevelopment

Scarborough Beach (Perth) Redevelopment

Old Jun 8th 2006, 7:43 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scarborough Beach (Perth) Redevelopment

Anyone know what is actually going to happen in Scarborough? Everything I seem to find on the net seems to be 2 or 3 years out of date and only talk about proposals and ideas and consultation periods.....
I thought it was all now a done deal, but I cant find anything to detail what the plan is.
steve
Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:29 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Scarborough Beach (Perth) Redevelopment

Steve, my cousin is one of the main honchos of planning in WA. I shall ask for info and get back to you!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 2:00 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
Steve, my cousin is one of the main honchos of planning in WA. I shall ask for info and get back to you!
Straight to the top, I like it
We got a coffee up there last weekend and sat on the beach for a while (it was like the middle of summer without any people around, what a stunning coastline we live on )
They've started digging up a lot of the car park area and re-routing the road that runs through them and around the front, just wondered if this was the start of anything major? Please Please Please dont come back and tell me its going to turn into highrise hell.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 3:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Straight to the top, I like it
We got a coffee up there last weekend and sat on the beach for a while (it was like the middle of summer without any people around, what a stunning coastline we live on )
They've started digging up a lot of the car park area and re-routing the road that runs through them and around the front, just wondered if this was the start of anything major? Please Please Please dont come back and tell me its going to turn into highrise hell.
We were down there the other day & saw all the works that you mentioned. I read somewhere that any development is not going to be over 8 stories, so not too high. To be honest I think Scarborough could do with a bit of redevelopment, it is a bit seedy. This goes for the rest of Perth's coastline. It's getting tha balance between what is desirable & what is not. Any news on the development plans for the Cottesloe Hotel? It would be a real pity if they ruined it with too much redevelopment.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 3:19 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

The West Beach Lagoon complex is supposed to be demolished, we did some work for a company who had previously housed their new arreivals there but decided to stop as it was so in need of refurbishment (had been since 1975) the reason the management gave them was that it was being demolished this year,but hey that could be 2010

Lynn
Old Jun 9th 2006, 3:32 am
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We were down there the other day & saw all the works that you mentioned. I read somewhere that any development is not going to be over 8 stories, so not too high. To be honest I think Scarborough could do with a bit of redevelopment, it is a bit seedy. This goes for the rest of Perth's coastline. It's getting tha balance between what is desirable & what is not. Any news on the development plans for the Cottesloe Hotel? It would be a real pity if they ruined it with too much redevelopment.
I agree its definitely in need of a make over in Scarborough, it would be better if they could somehow sink the carparking and develop over the top of them to bring the shops and restaurants nearer the ocean etc. 8 stories wont be to bad i suppose, I guess it will depend on the volume they allow to be built and across what area. It will be a real shame if they end up allowing it to get like some of the areas on the Gold Coast.
Havent heard what happening down at Cott, seems to be headline news for weeks and then all dissapears until a decision gets made and then its front page again...
Old Jun 9th 2006, 4:06 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know what is actually going to happen in Scarborough? Everything I seem to find on the net seems to be 2 or 3 years out of date and only talk about proposals and ideas and consultation periods.....
I thought it was all now a done deal, but I cant find anything to detail what the plan is.
steve
Does'nt this link in with the thread on nuclear power station site's?
Old Jun 9th 2006, 4:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It will be a real shame if they end up allowing it to get like some of the areas on the Gold Coast.
Yep, the Gold Coast & SE Queensland in general is an indication of NOT how to do redevelopment. The people who planned the Gold Coast should have been shot. Still rather over there in Deliverance land than over here in civilisation.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:17 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm glad to hear something's happening!
Don't live around there anymore, so haven't been for ages, but never liked it much. Not my preferred beach either(if we ever go), lots of 'youngsters', and I think it's a bit more rough. I loved City Beach and Floreat Beach(ehh, been to each one, once!).

Perth needs a good beach with cafe's, shops etc close to the beach, it'll be good. (ok, so there's Hillary's, but that's not a surf beach, and a lot further north). Trigg's nice, I must get round to having dinner at that cafe, I've heard lots of good things about it!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:43 am
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by Simone
Oh, I'm glad to hear something's happening!
Don't live around there anymore, so haven't been for ages, but never liked it much. Not my preferred beach either(if we ever go), lots of 'youngsters', and I think it's a bit more rough. I loved City Beach and Floreat Beach(ehh, been to each one, once!).

Perth needs a good beach with cafe's, shops etc close to the beach, it'll be good. (ok, so there's Hillary's, but that's not a surf beach, and a lot further north). Trigg's nice, I must get round to having dinner at that cafe, I've heard lots of good things about it!
Trigg Island Cafe, yep can recommend that one, especially if you get there early this time of year for sunset (there have been some superb ones over the past couple of weeks) I dont think its on the menu anymore but go for the Ribs and Calamari (they will do it if you ask) but dont go for an entree, its huge!