Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this scam call?

Is this scam call?

Old Jul 12th 2017, 9:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this scam call?

Originally Posted by KenA
Hi

I just received a call from a private number claiming they are from centrelink

they asked me to provide my personal information.

I did not give them any info, so the guy suggested that i should call this number 1800194053

I googled this number bout could not find it anywhere linked to centrelink

How can I know if that is a scam or genuine call?

Thanks
One other thing to bear in mind - were you expecting a call from Centrelink? Do you have any dealings with Centrelink that would mean they need to call you?
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I wouldn't stress about it Ken. If they call again, just say you're not comfortable with providing personal info over the phone, and ask them to send a letter instead. If they were genuine, that would be no problem. Don't stay on the line, don't engage in any further conversation or tell them anything else at all, just tell them they need to send a letter and that's it.

I'll just leave you with this - if they were who they said they were, they wouldn't need to ask you for personal information as they'd already have the lot.
Thanks

I will do that for sure, but I think (if they were geniune, the question about my info is just to confirm they are talking to the right person) so they want to match with the info they have,
they asked about my full name and date of birth.

I wont give my info to anyone calls me. so I rejected to provide info.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One other thing to bear in mind - were you expecting a call from Centrelink? Do you have any dealings with Centrelink that would mean they need to call you?
Although this call was not expected and the reason they provided (Employment Review) .
I was getting payment 4 moths ago, and it is end of fininacial year.
so yes there is business with Centrelink
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm still sceptical Ozzie (although certainly not saying you're not right), scammers are very sophisticated these days!

Yes, someone from Centrelink shouldn't be calling you out of the blue, with no advance warning via mail, and then asking you to provide personal details that they already have. I would not tell these people a thing over the phone, whoever they are. It'd be "send me a letter".

BTW if it is really Centrelink, they're contracting their own advice about what to do if you're worried. How surprising, yes?!
This. Never give personal info over the phone when you haven't instigated the call. I had a long winded argument with one of our insurance companies who called regarding a claim. He rang me and asked me to confirm my details. I basically told him to bog off. He must have been new because he was surprised. Once I told him I had no proof he was who he said he was and if he told me some info regarding the claim, I may confirm who I was, he agreed it was a stupid system.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

CAH58 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a call once from a lady saying she was calling on behalf of Aus Gov asking how we find Australian Banks. She asked who we bank with (gave her a false one just in case) asked how long we had been with them, did we have any complaints, would we recommend them to anyone else. She asked for NO details at all other than who we banked with. Seemed legit, but I was wary anyway, hence why I gave her wrong bank. :-) Weeks later, we get a call from another lady, saying she was from our bank (the false one) and that we had been overcharged and they would like to refund it back, and asked me to confirm our bank details. You could have heard a pin drop when I told her we did not bank with xxxxx and never have. She soon put the phone down! LOL Damn scammers!
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAH58
I had a call once from a lady saying she was calling on behalf of Aus Gov asking how we find Australian Banks. She asked who we bank with (gave her a false one just in case) asked how long we had been with them, did we have any complaints, would we recommend them to anyone else. She asked for NO details at all other than who we banked with. Seemed legit, but I was wary anyway, hence why I gave her wrong bank. :-) Weeks later, we get a call from another lady, saying she was from our bank (the false one) and that we had been overcharged and they would like to refund it back, and asked me to confirm our bank details. You could have heard a pin drop when I told her we did not bank with xxxxx and never have. She soon put the phone down! LOL Damn scammers!
Lucky you were on your toes! The a'holes are devising ever more sophisticated and elaborate schemes to cheat people, I'd love to give each and every one of them a bloody good slap. And me a pacifist!
Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:08 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAH58
The number of "this is just a survey, I'm not selling" is ridiculous. I gave a different name to one of these, and sure enough over the next few weeks I got calls asking to talk to "Dr X". Gave each one the rough end.

We really need a more proactive squashing of this. You should be able to dial a code after receiving a dodgy call. More than three such codes in short succession and the number should immediately be investigated and cut.

You can tell how useless is the current system in that you can type the number into google and find web pages with 40 complaints about the number on it, stretching back months. Nobody is jumping on them, finding the guilty, and jailing them.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't answer the phone to any number that isn't in my contacts.

If it's someone who's genuinely trying to get in touch with me they'll leave a message.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 4:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I just don't answer the phone to any number that isn't in my contacts.

If it's someone who's genuinely trying to get in touch with me they'll leave a message.
Well, last year I did a project for the health department where I had to contact close to 4000 people by phone. Because I didn't want 4000 people having my number when I worked from home it was blocked. Considering that the phone calls were about medical information I was not allowed to leave messages because of privacy issues. So in your case if you didn't answer 3 calls you would likely have been sent a curt letter saying answer your phone or your procedures will be cancelled.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 7:21 am
Just Joined

CAH58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GarryP
The number of "this is just a survey, I'm not selling" is ridiculous. I gave a different name to one of these, and sure enough over the next few weeks I got calls asking to talk to "Dr X". Gave each one the rough end.

We really need a more proactive squashing of this. You should be able to dial a code after receiving a dodgy call. More than three such codes in short succession and the number should immediately be investigated and cut.

You can tell how useless is the current system in that you can type the number into google and find web pages with 40 complaints about the number on it, stretching back months. Nobody is jumping on them, finding the guilty, and jailing them.
That's exactly right Garry, so many times I googled a number and found lists of complaints against that number. My husband was daft enough at times to give his name and DOB until I told him to NEVER give his details to a complete stranger on the phone UNLESS it is a company he has rang himself.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenA
Although this call was not expected and the reason they provided (Employment Review) .
I was getting payment 4 moths ago, and it is end of fininacial year.
so yes there is business with Centrelink
If you were receiving payments, log in to your my.gov account and there will be letters from Centrelink in your inbox with all tax info statements etc. If there's nothing in the inbox, it was probably a scam.