Reload this Page >

Saying goodbye to pets

Saying goodbye to pets

Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:15 am
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saying goodbye to pets

Hi everyone,

One of the hardest things for the big move on 25th July to Tasmania has been saying goodbye to pets.

Our daughter sobbed her heart out on Sat morning, it was so gut wrenching, we had 2 cats and we know we cant take them to Tassie and once there we are getting her a dog and in a couple of years a horse. She loves animals so she will have a ball.

She knew it was happening but at the last minute she said she couldn't go with her dad to take them as it would be to much for her. They have gone to a great home, hubby;'s sisters, she loves cats and hers have just died of old age, but boy was it harder than I ever imagined

God help us when her rabbit goes to her friends house, she is only 11 though bless her.

The next day though she was fine, so fingers crossed the rabbit episode wont be that bad, needed strong drink to get through cats going, will need a bottle for rabbit

:scared:

Christine
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:23 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saying goodbye to pets

Originally posted by Chris Bailey
Hi everyone,

One of the hardest things for the big move on 25th July to Tasmania has been saying goodbye to pets.

Our daughter sobbed her heart out on Sat morning, it was so gut wrenching, we had 2 cats and we know we cant take them to Tassie and once there we are getting her a dog and in a couple of years a horse. She loves animals so she will have a ball.

She knew it was happening but at the last minute she said she couldn't go with her dad to take them as it would be to much for her. They have gone to a great home, hubby;'s sisters, she loves cats and hers have just died of old age, but boy was it harder than I ever imagined

God help us when her rabbit goes to her friends house, she is only 11 though bless her.

The next day though she was fine, so fingers crossed the rabbit episode wont be that bad, needed strong drink to get through cats going, will need a bottle for rabbit

Christine
Christine,

You poor thing. I really do feel for you. Just look at it this way, your cats are going to your sister-in-law so they are with people you know and trust. You know they will have a good life. It'll take a while to get over it but try and draw comfort from that.

Virtual bottle flying its way to you when it's the rabbits turn!!

D D

PS good luck for 25th July!!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Christine
Chris

Know where you are coming from. We are not going until Nov/Dec 2005 but have already decided not to take 13 year old cat (Will be nearly 15 then). My girls are only 11 and 9 so have had her longer than them. Cannot put her through the move. Also have two rabbits. It is going to be a nightmare. In a way I hope that Fluff (cat) dies before we go. At least long term we won't always be thinking what if.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:38 pm
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saying goodbye to pets

Hi, Thanks for the replies, at least I don't feel like im the only one out there who isn't taking the cats/rabbits

Our rabbit is 5 years old now a dwarf lop eared, Elana has had hiim since he was born and as for the 2 cats, one of them she saw actually being born, and since then both cats have slept on her bed most nights.

But as we keep saying to her, its a new life out there and im sure she will get more animals, plus, when she does come over for holidays at least she can still see the cats and rabbit (if he is still alive...) and the nice thing is my sister in law doesn't have children and wont be having any as she is almost 40 now, so to her they are her children anyway, so they will probably be treated even nicer than they were here, its not much of a consolation to her, but at least it makes her happier knowing that.

Good luck to everyone with their animals, it is a sad business but in the end I think it will turn out okay. Children are more resiliant it is us adults that suffer.......

Thanks for the virtual bottle, might need it soon.....

Cheers Christine
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:59 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Christine
Know exactly where you are coming from here ! I bawled my eyes out when our cats were collected ... and that was to take them to the airport for their flight to Perth so they could be here with us. (am I a sad git or what?)

Cant imagine how difficult it must be to give them up for good
Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I know where you are coming from. About 2 weeks ago we had to say goodbye to our 2 dogs in preparation for the move, it was horrible.

We took them for their last walk in the woods and then my son and I bawled our eyes out! Next morning, hubbie took they to their new home in the Cotswolds on a farm with loads of sheep and stuff to chase.

Our son aged 10 was a little upset and misses them but we explained why were not taking them and he seems to have understood. He too, decided not to go with them to their new home. I try and talk positively about it all and this seems to have done the trick with him and he isn't half as bad a I thought he was going to be.

Its a tough decision to make but we did it because we loved them and we felt it was best for them, we came second.

Mandy
Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:02 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scrawni
I know where you are coming from. About 2 weeks ago we had to say goodbye to our 2 dogs in preparation for the move, it was horrible.

We took them for their last walk in the woods and then my son and I bawled our eyes out! Next morning, hubbie took they to their new home in the Cotswolds on a farm with loads of sheep and stuff to chase.

Our son aged 10 was a little upset and misses them but we explained why were not taking them and he seems to have understood. He too, decided not to go with them to their new home. I try and talk positively about it all and this seems to have done the trick with him and he isn't half as bad a I thought he was going to be.

Its a tough decision to make but we did it because we loved them and we felt it was best for them, we came second.

Mandy
Hard decision, I left my cat, my real mate......she scratched the everyone but me! So I know after two years here the family do not miss her but I do still.
I made the right decision to leave her, 12 years old and an outdoor cat, but it still hurts.....think hard about bringing a cat, she/he should be an indoor pet! As for rabbits ...no chance in QLS!

Cheers
Old Jun 14th 2004, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Me too,

Left 2 cats with the people who were buying the house, and 3 horses.
Miss them all.

Whisky
Old Jun 14th 2004, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

We left our cat with just the best person ever to look after him in the UK. He was 10. We thought he'd never survive without us but a few years down the track he's leading the life of riley. We've had photos, regular updates and have been back to see him. He'd never have lived to this ripe old age with us!! Miss him but he's given so much pleasure to his his new owner.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

We re-homed our 3 year old dobermann last weekend even though we are not planning on a permanent move until next June.

Its been quite hard, I miss her presence in the house. I expect her to be wagging her tail when I open the door.

However, she's gone to a wonderful family, who adore her and we can visit whenever we want.

Its a hard decision to make, to take them or not. I think we've made the right one.

Jo
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:20 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Not so hard for me as it is for some. Foxy (my dog) moved in with my dad and his dog in January, in preparation for the move. I get to see her when I want and I know she is in a very good home. Still hard though when I get up, come in from work etc and she is not there. I know when we go she will only be 6, but she has never been apart from myself, mum, dad or their pets as up until recently we all lived in the same street. In just a few months of living just with us she has aged terribly. I just couldn't do it to her, I love her too much for that. I know she is very happy and spoilt with my dad. I really do feel for anyone who has to leave their pets behind especially when there are children involved. Good luck to all of you.
Sarah
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

locky40 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're still trying to make the decision as to whether to take our 2 cats with us to New Zealand, they're both outdoor cats and I'm wondering whether they would be better off being re-homed here before we go, keep changing my mind from one day to the next, it's really hard.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know just how gut wrenching it is for our children to leave pets behind. We left quite a few pets behind and one of the cats (my daughters very own cat) didnt come home on the morning we left and my daughter cried her eyes out on the way to the airport because she didnt get to say goodbye. I felt so bad.....Luckily the neighbour took him for us and we get photos of him on the emails.
We only bought over one dog and one cat in all and that cost an arm and a leg....but lessens the heartbreak for my daughter.

booboo
Old Jun 15th 2004, 5:52 am
rudo1ph

I have to ask the question.......why do so many people leave their animals behind? There was NO WAY I could have left my two cats behind. We ended up first taking them to Singapore where they adapted well to being indoor cats rather than outdoor cats.........and now we live in Sydney and they are outdoor cats again. Cost a fortune to transport them twice, but they are my moggies and I love them - it would have felt like I was leaving one of my children behind.

Maybe I'm mis-reading some of the posts, but why do people think they suddenly have to become indoor cats if they come to Australia?

Rudi

Old Jun 15th 2004, 6:46 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rudo1ph
I have to ask the question.......why do so many people leave their animals behind? There was NO WAY I could have left my two cats behind. We ended up first taking them to Singapore where they adapted well to being indoor cats rather than outdoor cats.........and now we live in Sydney and they are outdoor cats again. Cost a fortune to transport them twice, but they are my moggies and I love them - it would have felt like I was leaving one of my children behind.

Maybe I'm mis-reading some of the posts, but why do people think they suddenly have to become indoor cats if they come to Australia?

Rudi
Check on your council area rules - some councils stipulate that cats have to be in from sundown to sun up. Rehoming was a better option for us, a good friend took my cat and she is very happy, happier than I believe she would have been moving her.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.