Wikiposts

Saying Goodbye

Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all
Unhappy Saying Goodbye

Yesterday I did the thing I had been most dreading and said goodbye to my parents.

My mum and dad split up years ago so I first stayed with my mum for a night and went out for a nice meal and saying goodbye to my mum and my sister and brother was easier than I had expected- the hardest thing was knowing my mum was putting on a brave face and than the minute we left she would be crying.

Then we went to see my dad. The original plan had been to spend 2 nights at my dads and go out for a couple of lovely meals with all the family- I had imagined it to be a wonderful couple of days but life got in the way and on Monday my dad was admitted to hospital !!!- He is a diabetic and has problems with his feet and infection and they think he might lose his toe. Anyway of course this changed everything so instead of the lovely evenings planned- I had to spend the last time with my dad in a hospital. We went to see him twice and the last time was yesterday afternoon. We sat and chatted for a couple of hours and actually I thought I was going to be OK but when it came time to go, Dad walked us to the end of the ward and he looked so vulnerable in his nightshirt and I just fell to pieces. I did try so hard not to cry because I didnt want to upset him but I just couln't help it- In the end i gave him a big hug and then I just had to walk away because I knew i just wouldnt be able to stop crying. I guess its harder because his illness means he won't be able to fly to see us and yet the last thing he said was that he would see me in Tasmania real soon , and yet I know that just won't happen.
I dont want to depress everyone- it was just harder than I imagined and today I just feel really flat.
The important thing to remember though is that I survived this and so did my family- no one died, life carried on and in a couple of days when the pain has lessened, no doubt i will be laughing and looking forward to my new life.

Nat
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:53 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all
Default Re: Saying Goodbye

Oh Nat

you made me tearful about your Dad, keep your chin up and get on with last minute preparations, the pain will lessen

Good Luck
Carole

Originally Posted by natty
Yesterday I did the thing I had been most dreading and said goodbye to my parents.

My mum and dad split up years ago so I first stayed with my mum for a night and went out for a nice meal and saying goodbye to my mum and my sister and brother was easier than I had expected- the hardest thing was knowing my mum was putting on a brave face and than the minute we left she would be crying.

Then we went to see my dad. The original plan had been to spend 2 nights at my dads and go out for a couple of lovely meals with all the family- I had imagined it to be a wonderful couple of days but life got in the way and on Monday my dad was admitted to hospital !!!- He is a diabetic and has problems with his feet and infection and they think he might lose his toe. Anyway of course this changed everything so instead of the lovely evenings planned- I had to spend the last time with my dad in a hospital. We went to see him twice and the last time was yesterday afternoon. We sat and chatted for a couple of hours and actually I thought I was going to be OK but when it came time to go, Dad walked us to the end of the ward and he looked so vulnerable in his nightshirt and I just fell to pieces. I did try so hard not to cry because I didnt want to upset him but I just couln't help it- In the end i gave him a big hug and then I just had to walk away because I knew i just wouldnt be able to stop crying. I guess its harder because his illness means he won't be able to fly to see us and yet the last thing he said was that he would see me in Tasmania real soon , and yet I know that just won't happen.
I dont want to depress everyone- it was just harder than I imagined and today I just feel really flat.
The important thing to remember though is that I survived this and so did my family- no one died, life carried on and in a couple of days when the pain has lessened, no doubt i will be laughing and looking forward to my new life.

Nat
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:55 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Nat
Oh mate you must be feeling awful at the moment - try and keep your chin up and I will send some karma (It won`t let me send you any just now - have to spread myself about a bit first) Hope it all goes ok for you

Last edited by gobbyjock; Apr 27th 2005 at 11:12 pm. Reason: missed out up
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

This is the hardest part of the process.......it nearly killed me doing the goodbyes with my family. Hopefully your dad's health will improve, and he may surprise you by making that trip to Tas.

All the very best
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:58 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Nat
Oh Nat

What can I say theres no words, its the thing I'm dreading most.

Chin up girl your right you survived this and this time next week you will be in Tas, you have a new life to look forward to and its going to be great.

Kay xx

P.s are you going straight to Tas or stopping somewhere on the way?
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:03 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Nat
Nat,

I think above everything else, saying goodbye to loved ones is going to be the hardest thing of all about emigrating. I don't mind admitting that I got abit teary reading your post, but as you say you get on with it and as time goes on, it gets easier. Wise words, and ones I'll no doubt need to remember myself at some point.

Nicky
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

Hi Nat,
God I feel for you. Your post really set me off blubbering.
I'm not looking forward to saying Goodbye at all. My Dad will be the worst as my mum died in October, so he hasn't got used to being without her yet!
God knows how I'll cope! Also the whole family is coming to the airport to see us off!! Not sure this is a good idea but they are all insisting!!
Anyway Karma on it's way to you.
Have a good trip Take Care
Marie
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:20 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that Nat x

Best laid plans eh,dont loose hope, your dad may still make that trip one day so look forward.

Goodluck & Best wishes to your dad x x

Donna.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:29 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil&momo
Hi Nat,
God I feel for you. Your post really set me off blubbering.
I'm not looking forward to saying Goodbye at all. My Dad will be the worst as my mum died in October, so he hasn't got used to being without her yet!
God knows how I'll cope! Also the whole family is coming to the airport to see us off!! Not sure this is a good idea but they are all insisting!!
Anyway Karma on it's way to you.
Have a good trip Take Care
Marie

I was just about to say one bit of advice is not to say goodbye on the day you are flying..I cried all the way to the airport and then ended up with a stonking headache for the flight.

Spalens wife
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:02 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
I was just about to say one bit of advice is not to say goodbye on the day you are flying..I cried all the way to the airport and then ended up with a stonking headache for the flight.

Spalens wife
I think that's really good advice. At least limit your good-byes on the day to one or two people only, not the whole family. In fact, I have banned people from seeing me off at the airport before now: some think I'm just being odd or difficult, but in fact it's because I find the whole airport farewell thing just about unbearable. Sometimes, though, it's harder (in the short term) for the people being left behind than for the people travelling - the travellers have all sorts of things to think about and to do, whereas the non-travellers go home to their own thoughts and the heartache of missing someone.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Hi Nat
Sending you some karma!!! IMO you have just jumped the hardest hurdle, 6 weeks since i had to say goodbye to all my family...like every1else has said keep your chin up and it does get easier!!
Very good advice there spalen as it took my eyes and head 2 days to recover lol

Best wishes for you and your dad

Claire
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

LancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the rough

Hi Nat,

Hope your dad gets better soon, just sending you some karma as this made me fill up. I recently went back home and the whole time I was home my Nana was in hospital which makes it all a bit harder to say goodbye. But it did make her more determined to get well and make the trip out here. It does get easier and the world really is a smaller place these days.

Karen
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Mitchells is an unknown quantity at this point

Nat, I too have to admit that I had to blink back the tears reading your post.

I really feel for you, but on the bright side your Dad will be OK and at least you've got your goodbyes out of the way I've got 9 months to worry about saying goodbye :scared:

Hopefully your Dad will beable to make the trip and as some one said earlier the world is alot smaller place these days.

Hope everything else goes OK and I will try to send you some of that Karma stuff.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Hello Nat

Have just managed to pull myself together, black bleary eyed! I hope your dad recovers soon and you never know he might make that journey to you one day.

As I have got older I have become more sensitive and emotional. Used to be hard as a brick but not anymore !

I am absolutely dreading the goodbyes, I know it sounds terrible but I am almost tempted to slope off quietly.

Theresa

PS Have sent you some karma.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:40 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nat

I really feel for you, and also know what you are going th. A couple of months my mum (who is also a diabetic) found out she was losing her sight in her right eye. I was so horrified :scared:
Anyway she had to go for some photos on her eyes on Tuesday and I went with her as I am off work this week. OMG she is now losing it in the left eye now as well.
The doc says he doesnt know how long it will take but she is to take good care of herself!!
I am ridden with guilt at the mo cos I am in the process of going to Aus and leaving my mum behind and knowing that she will be lind and might not be able to see us in the future kills me.

Try to think positive and I'm sure your Dad will be okay.
When you do you out and where to??
Take Care
Ang

p.s. sent you some karma

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.