Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Saw a pretty disturbing thing today

Saw a pretty disturbing thing today

Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I totally agree with you that people most certainly do not have the right to inflict their issues onto others and make their life a misery. That is wrong and should never be acceptable, and yes, i have been pissed off and annoyed by people who behave badly, and i have also been guilty in the past of dismissing them as assholes and not worthy of help.
The reason my mind has changed, is having to deal with some of these broken lives in a rehab unit i worked at in Auckland. Whilst i agree that there are a percentage of people who just don't care, there are also very many who have had the most unthinkable lives!!
Rape victims, child abuse, neglect and so it goes on and on...what do we do???...just shut the door on them, bury them under the carpet and pretend they arent there??...afterall, thats basically all they have been used to most of their lives.... should we tell them to pull themselves together, and get the good old British stiff uper lip??..laughable i feel, after all this time!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Yeah but isnt it a waste of lives all very sad its such a shame
Joanne
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:05 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst i agree that there are a percentage of people who just don't care, there are also very many who have had the most unthinkable lives!!

Rape victims, child abuse, neglect and so it goes on and on...what do we do???...just shut the door on them, bury them under the carpet and pretend they arent there??...afterall, thats basically all they have been used to most of their lives.... should we tell them to pull themselves together, and get the good old British stiff uper lip??..laughable i feel, after all this time!
exactly PP. most drug addicts dont choose addiction for the sake of something to do on an afternoon. the reasons that lead to addiction are many and varied and to simply say that because they take drugs they are wrong completely ignores and as PP says brushes the reasons under the carpet. i see a very non-tolernat attitude to addiction here. lets the help the poor bastards out of the shit holes they are in rather than simply push them down further.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
no you dont have to like it i accept that. i would also point out who are you to tell them that what they are doing is wrong. do they tell you you are wrong for something you do. how would that make you feel. its their life let them get on with it. if it is such a problem to you why not try and help them to get of drugs rather than castigate them for something that doesnt fit in with your own morality.
The law says it is wrong.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:06 pm
What's he asking?

the law also says that you can only travel at a certain speed on a road. i bet you've never broken that one have you.
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
I totally agree with you that people most certainly do not have the right to inflict their issues onto others and make their life a misery. That is wrong and should never be acceptable, and yes, i have been pissed off and annoyed by people who behave badly, and i have also been guilty in the past of dismissing them as assholes and not worthy of help.
The reason my mind has changed, is having to deal with some of these broken lives in a rehab unit i worked at in Auckland. Whilst i agree that there are a percentage of people who just don't care, there are also very many who have had the most unthinkable lives!!
I agree with you PP. Those who are willing to be helped should get that help and I'd be happy to offer it. But there are those who just don't want it or, even worse, have no intention of helping themselves but take, take, take from others kind enough to offer.
Forum Regular

the law also says that you can only travel at a certain speed on a road. i bet you've never broken that one have you.
I believe in the law and obey it. You?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:08 pm
What's he asking?

Originally posted by Modigliana
I believe in the law and obey it. You?
you didnt answer my question. have you ever broken a speed limit?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry fuzzeyness what else can my family do for the girls then??? They have got them out of debt , been stolen from , after years and years of trying to help them , putting them in clinics , moving areas , getting themselves my family into debt and then the parents ending up divorcing , im not sure what else we can do here to help them as you say !!!!! Love , money , listening , counciling have all been tried
Joanne
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:10 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

i would also point out who are you to tell them that what they are doing is wrong. do they tell you you are wrong for something you do. how would that make you feel. its their life let them get on with it. .
It is wrong if it affects others.

It's just like people who smoke say: why do you care, I'm not causing any harm to anyone than myself.
Well:
1: I breathe in the smoke of other people too, which is unhealthy
2: Smokers have a greater risk of getting sick/long cancer: and who pays for the hospital treatment, us!

And I do understand that people can get into problems, and it's hard to get out (I'm sure if I started smoking or doing drugs, I'd be addicted in no time), but there are also others who just think that it's only themselves they are hurting.

Anyway, I can't say that much about it all, as I have nearly no experience with this kind of thing...luckily.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:11 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jopaulss
Sorry fuzzeyness what else can my family do for the girls then??? They have got them out of debt , been stolen from , after years and years of trying to help them , putting them in clinics , moving areas , getting themselves my family into debt and then the parents ending up divorcing , im not sure what else we can do here to help them as you say !!!!! Love , money , listening , counciling have all been tried
Joanne
Exactly my point - some people just won't be helped. What you do with these people is beyond me.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jesus how can you compare a speeding fine with drug addiction cant follow this one!!!
Joanne
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Modigliana
The law says it is wrong.

Yes..you are totally right Modigliana.. it is illegal and in a perfect world they shouldnt be doing it.

What are your suggestions for dealing with it?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

you didnt answer my question. have you ever broken a speed limit?
Aspects of drug taking are against the law, speeding is against the law. The law is there. You either obey it or fight to change it, or break it, your choice. Whether I have broken the law is irrelevant.

If you think drug laws are wrong, then say so.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by podgypossum
Yes..you are totally right Modigliana.. it is illegal and in a perfect world they shouldnt be doing it.

What are your suggestions for dealing with it?
The mechanisms for dealing with it are in place. I leave the law-making to those better qualified than me. If you cannot place your trust in the law and order system then we are all screwed, and it will not be just from drugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.