Wikiposts

Savings account

Old Sep 7th 2003, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Savings account

hi guys,
hope that someone answers this politely as i know there have been lots of threads on HSBC accounts!
my query is: hubby and i both bank separately (no joint accounts yet!) with Lloyds TSB, because he does alot of cash work would it be sensible to open up a joint HSBC account in the UK to put 'savings' in, then if and when we are given our visas we will have a tidy little sum to transfer to HSBC in Oz, is this the easiest way to do it, as you know we are only at the TRA stage so there is a chance that we will not be granted a pr visa (hope not though), if that was the case then we could use the money for a much needed holiday etc.
Any advice would be appreciated
thanks rach
Old Sep 7th 2003, 4:54 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Savings account

Originally posted by nosuchluck
hi guys,
hope that someone answers this politely as i know there have been lots of threads on HSBC accounts!
my query is: hubby and i both bank separately (no joint accounts yet!) with Lloyds TSB, because he does alot of cash work would it be sensible to open up a joint HSBC account in the UK to put 'savings' in, then if and when we are given our visas we will have a tidy little sum to transfer to HSBC in Oz, is this the easiest way to do it, as you know we are only at the TRA stage so there is a chance that we will not be granted a pr visa (hope not though), if that was the case then we could use the money for a much needed holiday etc.
Any advice would be appreciated
thanks rach

Rach

I bank with Lloydstsb here in the UK and we have opened up an account in Oz with HSBC. When we are ready to change money into dollars through Lloyds they will give us a commercial rate with it being such a large amount tel: 08453000101

They will then transfer the amount to an Oz bank account so in our case the HSBC account we set up.

We set the account up with the HSBC through international banking in London. Do a search for the phone number.

Then got a letter of introduction from Lloyds for me and Natwest for Hubby made an appointment with local HSBC went in with Bankers draft for $2000, passports, drivers license and CC each with filled out forms.

Bank certified photocopies of ID and posted to London. We got a letter within 10 days with bank account details and contact in Melbourne.

It took about 2 - 3 weeks to get all pin numbers, ATM card and cheque books through

Really easy.

Hope this helps

Jo
Old Sep 7th 2003, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

To save all the hassle of letters from bank etc. etc. Open an account when you get here. Just walk into HSBC with passport in hand and it will be sorted no hassle no having to mess with getting $2000 etc.

Might be an idea to open a UK account for your joint savings then use that to transfer dosh when you get to Oz.