Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

saving thousands in tax????????

saving thousands in tax????????

Old Mar 7th 2004, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

tricky nick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default saving thousands in tax????????

We were told if you sell your house, in the UK, before entering Australia, you don't pay tax on the amount.
If you sell your house in the UK after entering Australia you pay tax on the amount as it is classed as earnings.
Do the tax implications apply after your visa has been granted or after validation?

We would be grateful for any advice regarding taxes.

Cheers
Old Mar 7th 2004, 2:06 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: saving thousands in tax????????

Originally posted by tricky nick
We were told if you sell your house, in the UK, before entering Australia, you don't pay tax on the amount.
If you sell your house in the UK after entering Australia you pay tax on the amount as it is classed as earnings.
Do the tax implications apply after your visa has been granted or after validation?

We would be grateful for any advice regarding taxes.

Cheers
==========================================

This is a valid point Tn. Thanks

I don't know the answer to yr question though I'm afraid

What I do know is I rang bank to deposit lge sum of money from BS to Bank. Was asked pretty searching questions [was done covertley /underhandedly!]. Now I know why

Either that or they thought I was big drug dealer/bank robber etc:scared: .....LOL

I will consider this point;do more homework;this may highlight to anyone else who wants to transfer lge amount of dosh to Oz may need to do same Thanx.

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Mar 7th 2004, 2:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
==========================================
Either that or they thought I was big drug dealer/bank robber etc.

I will consider this point;do more homework.

Phoenixuk2oz
PUK,
Do not turn to a life of crime. You sound such a lovely person so I would hate for you to get in trouble
Old Mar 7th 2004, 2:24 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Bix
PUK,
Do not turn to a life of crime. You sound such a lovely person so I would hate for you to get in trouble
Me's always gettin into trouble Bix

Me & you both

For instance........we're hijaking this thread with our naughty antics again mate :scared:

Now stick to the question and stop following me round

Or is me following you

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Mar 7th 2004, 2:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Me's always gettin into trouble Bix

Me & you both

For instance........we're hijaking this thread with our naughty antics again mate :scared:

Now stick to the question and stop following me round

Or is me following you

Phoenixuk2oz
But we are keeping it at the top so someone who knows the answer can find it easy and leave an educated reply
Old Mar 7th 2004, 2:31 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Bix
But we are keeping it at the top so someone who knows the answer can find it easy and leave an educated reply
Good answer [right answer]

Puk2oz

Old Mar 7th 2004, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

gazza321 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that you have got 6 months after your Entry to Australia to sell your house and transfer any money before you have to pay any oz tax.

Cheers

Gazza
Old Mar 7th 2004, 4:18 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gazza321
I think that you have got 6 months after your Entry to Australia to sell your house and transfer any money before you have to pay any oz tax.

Cheers

Gazza
Yep, that what I was told at the embassy in Berlin when I asked very similar question.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't see that selling your house will be earnings. Potentially a capital gain, based on the value at the time you became an Aus tax resident, and on currency flucuations, but thats all.

Hyopethically, you have a house with equity worth 100K at 2.4 dollars to the pound.

Value = 240KAUD

If after a few months you sell and the value is 105K at 2.5 dollars to the pound:

Value = 262.5KAUD

Increase = 262.5 - 240 = 22.5KAUD which would be liable for capital gains.

Tax only applies when you become a tax resident. This is definitely not at visa grant. Allen Collet has loads of stuff on this at the GoMatilda website.

This is my understanding of the situation, I'm not a tax expert by any strech of the imagination. I will be interested in the six month rule if true, as I have a company to close down and want to take the assets as a capital disbursement permissable under the UK tax situation.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 11:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by PaulDClark
I can't see that selling your house will be earnings. Potentially a capital gain, based on the value at the time you became an Aus tax resident, and on currency flucuations, but thats all.

Hyopethically, you have a house with equity worth 100K at 2.4 dollars to the pound.

Value = 240KAUD

If after a few months you sell and the value is 105K at 2.5 dollars to the pound:

Value = 262.5KAUD

Increase = 262.5 - 240 = 22.5KAUD which would be liable for capital gains.

Tax only applies when you become a tax resident. This is definitely not at visa grant. Allen Collet has loads of stuff on this at the GoMatilda website.

This is my understanding of the situation, I'm not a tax expert by any strech of the imagination. I will be interested in the six month rule if true, as I have a company to close down and want to take the assets as a capital disbursement permissable under the UK tax situation.
Spot on, Paul.
It's only the gain that is taxable.

I did hear about one person who got a friendly estate agent to do a letter saying what his property was worth at the time of his moving. And they inflated it !! tut tut.
So when he sold, he didnt make a profit on any gain since the date of moving.

Old Mar 8th 2004, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I agree with the others it's only the gain that might be liable for tax, NOT the whole value of the house.

Also I'm not sure that they will ask you for documentary proof of the value, because on the tax return you just have to state the total capital gains for that year, and they don't ask for a breakdown.

The only time they would ask for a breakdown is if they think you are lying and audit you. Then a letter from a friendly estate agent won't do you any good at all as they will ask for a registered valuation to be done.

Also something I saw somewhere said that if you only rent in Oz you can claim your residence in UK as still your main place of residence and free of CGT untill you buy here and then you have to choose which you want to keep as your main residence for tax purposes. NOT too sure about this but I know I read it somewhere but don't have a link.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]

Also something I saw somewhere said that if you only rent in Oz you can claim your residence in UK as still your main place of residence and free of CGT untill you buy here and then you have to choose which you want to keep as your main residence for tax purposes. NOT too sure about this but I know I read it somewhere but don't have a link.

It would be nice if this could be confirmed
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by PaulDClark
It would be nice if this could be confirmed
This is from ATO

It explains where the 6 months rule comes into effect, now to find confirmation about the bit about keeping the UK property as manin residence !!

If you acquire a new home before you dispose of your old one, both dwellings are treated as your main residence for up to six months if:

the old dwelling was your main residence for a continuous period of at least three months in the 12 months before you disposed of it
you did not use it to produce assessable income in any part of that 12 months when it was not your main residence, and
the new dwelling becomes your main residence.
If you dispose of the old dwelling within six months of acquiring the new one, both dwellings are exempt for the whole period between when you acquire the new one and dispose of the old one.

Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:03 am
ABCDiamond

I found something about it, I think, but it looks complicated, so I have just copied the bottom line of the arcticle......

phone the Personal Tax Infoline on 13 28 61 (from inside OZ only)

Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I found something about it, I think, but it looks complicated, so I have just copied the bottom line of the arcticle......

phone the Personal Tax Infoline on 13 28 61 (from inside OZ only)

From my (as an accountant) understanding of the tax situation what you have written above is exactly right. I also do not see any problem with keeping a UK residence as your main home and outside capital gains tax as long as you do not rent it out and if you buy an Oz home then you have to elect which one is your main residence.

The tax position in Oz is very similar to the UK.

And yes, you are taxed on the gain ie sales value less cost. But if it is your home there is no tax (as said above). The bit about only being taxed on the gain from when you entered Oz is not relevant unless the property is rented and if that is the case the rest of the gain is going to be taxable in the UK - so you will get taxed on the whole of the gain somewhere in the world.:lecture:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.