Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Saving Files From Computer?

Saving Files From Computer?

Old Jul 30th 2005, 9:40 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saving Files From Computer?

hope some one can help me my stuff is being packed on thursday and i want to save info from my computer.having never done this before do i need a dvd burner to save all the info to or can i save it bit by bit to cd`s(the important bits)? any info gratefully recieved!!!
Old Jul 30th 2005, 9:47 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Saving Files From Computer?

Hi, have you got a CD burner? If so just save what you want to a CD. If you haven't got one just go to one of the stores and buy a USB storage device and save to that, cheaper than a CD burner! What size is all the info you require to save? This will influence which size of USB storage device you need to buy.

If you have any other questions just PM me.

Cheers

Rich
Old Jul 30th 2005, 9:52 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Hi, have you got a CD burner? If so just save what you want to a CD. If you haven't got one just go to one of the stores and buy a USB storage device and save to that, cheaper than a CD burner! What size is all the info you require to save? This will influence which size of USB storage device you need to buy.

If you have any other questions just PM me.

Cheers

Rich
hi rich thanks for reply!
basically most of the files are small i.e word documents etc which i can burn to cd.the biggest prob i have is 10 gig of music!my mate suggested buying an ipod seems a bit extreme
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

u could buy an HDD and usb2 / IDE connection cable and do it that way. Its not as tricky as it might sound.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wengerboy
hi rich thanks for reply!
basically most of the files are small i.e word documents etc which i can burn to cd.the biggest prob i have is 10 gig of music!my mate suggested buying an ipod seems a bit extreme
We bought an external hard drive 80gb from ebay for about £70(brand new). There are loads advertised and are also really small for taking in hand luggage. We have all our music on the laptop now and backup on the external harddrive.

They are really quick to set up.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

you can buy a 100gig storage device for £90 which would plug into your USB.
Good idea for backing up important stuff anyway.

Dave
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:14 am
Up The Arse!!

Originally Posted by sonictigger
We bought an external hard drive 80gb from ebay for about £70(brand new). There are loads advertised and are also really small for taking in hand luggage. We have all our music on the laptop now and backup on the external harddrive.

They are really quick to set up.
that`s sounds like what i`m after! are they easy to use?
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

that`s sounds like what i`m after! are they easy to use?
So easy, we have bought a second one for the Father in law, who lost everything when he backed up his PC onto his c:/drive!!!!! He's in his 60's and he manged to set it up. All comes with USB and screen shot's for loading. In total takes about 5-10 mins to set up - just explorer set up and formatting the drive for either Windows or Mac.

I'll try to find the link and send you the company's name.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:23 am
Up The Arse!!

So easy, we have bought a second one for the Father in law, who lost everything when he backed up his PC onto his c:/drive!!!!! He's in his 60's and he manged to set it up. All comes with USB and screen shot's for loading. In total takes about 5-10 mins to set up - just explorer set up and formatting the drive for either Windows or Mac.

I'll try to find the link and send you the company's name.
cool!! karma sent to all!!!!
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

cool!! karma sent to all!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...221585883&rd=1

This is the sort of thing I am talking about. Not the same company I bought from, but looks the same. The size is the best thing about it.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:40 am
Up The Arse!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...221585883&rd=1

This is the sort of thing I am talking about. Not the same company I bought from, but looks the same. The size is the best thing about it.
thankyou very much! they look cool too!!
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

NO NO NO NO dont need to buy any of that if you have a CD burner already even for your music. Burn the music onto CDs in data format, will only take a few Cds and cost maybe a few dollars at most.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
NO NO NO NO dont need to buy any of that if you have a CD burner already even for your music. Burn the music onto CDs in data format, will only take a few Cds and cost maybe a few dollars at most.
We just wanted something all in one place, for backing up the whole PC when we travelled to Oz, or just as security backup. Agree if it's just for music files, word docs then just normal CD's will do.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

simply plug into USB port and drag and drop all your stuff onto it, couldn't be easier !!!

Dave
Old Jul 31st 2005, 8:55 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

For the small word doc files then CD Burner would be fine, if you have a half decent size music collection then it will take forever to burn to CD-Rs.

I had about 500 cd's to back up before I left and it filled 8 DVDs.

As a rough guide a CD R will hold 650-700Mb, a DVD-R holds 4.7Gb (1Gb = 1000Mb) so work out how many CD-Rs you would need.

The USB drives are brilliant, they should be plug and play, ie plug em in, XP will notice something new, find the drivers for it, then as mentioned above just open Windows Explorer and drag and drop.

Great thing with a removeable drive is that it will work on any pc so you can plug it in wherever you are and access the stuff.

There are all sorts out there from £40-50 upwards, starting at 10GB going up to 160Gb +

Loads to choose from and reviews by users on http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...=8&submit.y=17

Have fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.