Save our School

Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:06 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Save our School

Originally Posted by northernbird
It may be popular with the families whose kids attend the school but have you seen the Year 9 NAPLAN results! I have no experience of the school but those results would be enough reason for me NOT to send my kids there.
What a ridiculous comment. Many schools don't have good results doesn't mean they won't fail in later on when the real stuff begins.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
She also said that the kids would go to Duncraig SHS or Belridge SHS instead - but there's a world of difference between those two.
Absolutely. I reckon for some families the opportunity to go to Duncraig will be very welcome, however if they reside in the new Belridge catchment area it will be enough to make them move house.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Weebie
What a ridiculous comment. Many schools don't have good results doesn't mean they won't fail in later on when the real stuff begins.
You may not like the comment but the school's poor academic results may partly explain why numbers have been steadily dropping whilst the waiting lists at private schools continue to grow. It would seem that the efforts of the Expert Review Group process that the school went through in 2008 did nothing to halt the decline.
According to the school website the school site "will be maintained for other public education purposes." Perhaps it could be used to house the proposed single gender Catholic schools which have been put on hold due to problems with rezoning.
In answer to Helen, the school announcement also says that a relocation allowance of $350 will be paid to cover the costs of moving to another public secondary school.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:43 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Catholic schools in the Northern subs aren't private schools.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
This is a school that recieved funding from the federal government to build two new buildings last year, hence 12 months ago it was considered as a viable school. The state government wish to rezone the land so they can sell it as housing and rake in the profit without a care for the students and families who have invested their time into the school
On the radio, Liz Constable said that they hadn't yet decided what they were going to do with the land . They have demolished high schools at Swanbourne, Hollywood, Scarborough and Craigie and replaced them with housing. I heard that they have amalgamated 2 Mandurah high schools. City Beach hasn't been turned into housing, but only because it's got some sort of protective convenant that says it must be used for educational purposes and it's leased to the International School. Now it's Padbury's turn. Funny that this only happens along the coast.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoveactually
You may not like the comment but the school's poor academic results may partly explain why numbers have been steadily dropping whilst the waiting lists at private schools continue to grow. It would seem that the efforts of the Expert Review Group process that the school went through in 2008 did nothing to halt the decline.
According to the school website the school site "will be maintained for other public education purposes." Perhaps it could be used to house the proposed single gender Catholic schools which have been put on hold due to problems with rezoning.
In answer to Helen, the school announcement also says that a relocation allowance of $350 will be paid to cover the costs of moving to another public secondary school.
That's good, hoveactually, that parents get some money back.

Can you tell us more about this Expert Review Group process? I haven't heard of that before.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HelenTD
That's good, hoveactually, that parents get some money back.

Can you tell us more about this Expert Review Group process? I haven't heard of that before.
This leaflet from DET explains the role of the Expert Review Group http://www.det.wa.edu.au/policies/de...set_id=6322236
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hoveactually
This leaflet from DET explains the role of the Expert Review Group http://www.det.wa.edu.au/policies/de...set_id=6322236
Fascinating! Thanks for that, I never knew that there is accountability in WA state schools. I must pass it on to other parents, they will be astounded and amazed.

Last edited by HelenTD; Oct 30th 2010 at 4:34 am.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Chef69 - I've sent you a pm with info on your situation.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you to All who have responded. Yes some of you have done your homework. The school is not to be knocked down or the land sold. It is going to remain as an ancillary education facility. The parents are to receive $350 relocation costs, which will help.We will know more about the subject choices after the meeting on Monday. Principles from all three schools will be there. But, yes maybe the naplan results where not as good as they should have been. But I would prefer my child to be in a school like that, where every teacher knows the name and most importantly the personality of each and every child that attends there, That the pupils want to please their teachers. That the pupils feel if you critise one child you critize them all.Thankfully I have an A grader child and the teachers have been giving her extension work and she is the one mentioned on the school website about being fifth in mathletics. ( yes a proud mother).But on a personal note, she is still treated like every other child there. They don't make her stand out. All my daughters friends love and I mean love their school and are so happy to be there. I worry that when they enter a much mush bigger school they will become lost amongst all the other students. They will have to start trying to fit in,learn the ropes again,learn new rules. When all they should be worrying about is their exams. So from the start of their yr 11 they will automatically be at a major disadvantage to the existing students of the school they will now be attending.The Dep Education did not think of that. They also did not take into consideration the normal turf wars between school to school. That is something else these kids will have to face. Also so few of padbury students want to go to Belridge, so how will Duncraig accommodate all these kids.Why could the Dep Education not have done things the way they did when Ocean Reef was flooded. Move all Teachers and Students to say belridge. Continue teaching as Padbury and then slowly over the coming years ween it into one school. That way all the kids would be together and keep their teachers. . Sorry just needed a rant as still trying to calm down a very distraught child.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the vernacular different in Perth? Where I live, in common parlance, private almost always means all non government schools whether they are catholic systemic, non systemic, protestant, muslim or run a by a mad millionare or whatever?

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 30th 2010 at 11:58 am.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold

All Catholic Schools in Northern Perth Suburbs are private schools. All religious denominational schools are Private. Public schools are not allowed to promote religion of any faith. They are only allowed to promote good moral values.Before anybody gets on my case about religion. As far as I am concerned everybody is entitled to their own personal views and beliefs. Each and everyone to their own.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chef69
All Catholic Schools in Northern Perth Suburbs are private schools. All religious denominational schools are Private. Public schools are not allowed to promote religion of any faith. They are only allowed to promote good moral values.Before anybody gets on my case about religion. As far as I am concerned everybody is entitled to their own personal views and beliefs. Each and everyone to their own.
I can see what you're saying about the sense of loyalty and
belonging but I agree with nb. People have voted with their
feet at padbury-together with alikely ageing population in the suburb.
I lived in the suburb for two years and would not have sent
my child there.
Also friends of ours had their daughter there. She was bullied
so badly and her learning disrupted so much that she left the school.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I agree there is bullying in every school. I have a friend who's child was in Ocean reef was beaten and the police where called. Another in St Stephens again bullied so badly left the school. Another in Belridge left the school. The list would go on and on.At the end of the day every school has some bad rep and some good rep. The school has to suit your child , their personality.It is down to every child to make the decision to work or not to work. Teachers can only do so much. But with regards to Padbury I personally know of three children who where enroled into other schools in the area and they would not attend. They then enroled in Padbury and Thanks to the one on one attention, afforded due to a small school and the Principles commitment to those kids. They have only missed two or three days each year and that was down to illness.The Principle is fantastic and has only been there about four yrs or so. He has turned things around so much that these kids are proud to say they come from Padbury SHS. They wear that crest with pride.In this day and age that is rare and the school and staff should be commended for instilling this into their students. Again as I say, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine is apparent. Padbury SHS has been a Godsend for my child.