Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Saturday in the office again

Saturday in the office again

Old Oct 15th 2002, 2:15 pm
plucka

Default Re: Saturday in the office again

Originally posted by Herman:
So here I am again. Yet another Saturday slaving away for free in the office trying to meet the demands of 'screw em for all they're worth' clients.
I worked about 2 saturdays in 5 years in the UK. This is my fifth in a row in Sydney despite my best efforts at resisting the pressure clients are determined to put on us.
If anyone was to ask me 'should i come to Sydney', in my present frame of mind I would say 'no, the sun may shine but you'll only see it from an office window!'.
PS. the office here is half full on this delightful Saturday and none of us get paid a cent for this!!!!! What the hell am I doing here.......
Boy am I sick of the whinging on this forum. If you don't like working Saturdays then do something about it and change jobs or get some balls and stand up to your boss, whats the worse that can happen- you get fired and find another job. If your on the net posting to forums your obviously not too busy are you.

I can't stand people who constantly whine about thier situtation but will do nothing to change it instead they blame everything and everyone around them and are too gutless or lazy to get off thier arse and do anything. Get a grip man and either do something or stop whining.

Old Oct 15th 2002, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Plucka

Whilst i am quietly chuckling away at most of what you write it is starting to get a bit heated (not one to shy away from a good row, some of the personal insults are a little harsh!)

From your postings i guess you are an Ozzie going back after a spell in UK. Can you tell us why you love Oz so much and are returning, even after sampling the 'good life' that PB thinks we all have in this country.

Boy am I sick of the whinging on this forum. If you don't like working Saturdays then do something about it and change jobs or get some balls and stand up to your boss, whats the worse that can happen- you get fired and find another job. If your on the net posting to forums your obviously not too busy are you.

I can't stand people who constantly whine about thier situtation but will do nothing to change it instead they blame everything and everyone around them and are too gutless or lazy to get off thier arse and do anything. Get a grip man and either do something or stop whining. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Old Oct 16th 2002, 10:41 am
plucka

Originally posted by Grub:
Dear Plucka

Whilst i am quietly chuckling away at most of what you write it is starting to get a bit heated (not one to shy away from a good row, some of the personal insults are a little harsh!)

From your postings i guess you are an Ozzie going back after a spell in UK. Can you tell us why you love Oz so much and are returning, even after sampling the 'good life' that PB thinks we all have in this country.

G'day Grub,
Not really getting heated on my side anyway. Just a pet hate of mine- listening to people who can do nothing but whinge but dont do anything to change it.

I'm going back to Aus after 4 years in London simply because I believe it offers a far better lifestyle. I'm not going to slag off the UK and bitch about how bad it is here and act like the likes of PB, dotty and co, that is just rather sad. I've actually had a great time here with the travelling and all and made some nice money but I just couldn't live here long-term. London has it's plus points like travel and job opportunites but apart from that I find Aus is better is almost evey other regard. For me it's all about having room to move around, a relaxed lifestyle, a climate where I can enjoy going outdoors all-year round, being able to afford a decent house, breathing clean air, not spend half my day in traffic, walk around clean streets, have some of the worlds best beaches at more door-step, and live in a modern friendly city, oh and of course be near my friends and family, enjoy better food, public services, and a see a much better lifestyle for my future children. The choice is plainly simple for me.

I can't stand people who constantly whine about thier situtation but will do nothing to change it instead they blame everything and everyone around them and are too gutless or lazy to get off thier arse and do anything. Get a grip man and either do something or stop whining.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Old Oct 16th 2002, 11:19 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Who actually said I was whinging and 'doing nothing about it'. Good god, do you want my life story to support every point I make? My posting was somewhat whingey, I'll give you that and was designed to compliment other 'warnings' I have posted about the expectations of Australian employers so that others do not come here with the misguided impression that Australia automatically resolves those UK work/life balance issues. Many have argued that on my salary I should expect to work weekends, I disagree and think 7.30am to 7.30pm with 10 minutes for lunch is enough for anyone. I believe that this weekend work attitude so prevailent in my firm in Sydney is entirely wrong, especially as those getting paid the real money are nowhere to be seen on Saturday and Sunday.
Anyway, dont want to get into childish arguments with you, too many on this forum. Just for your information my wife and I are returning to the South West of England in April to live close to my family and old friends and to start a family of our own. The amount of money we have saved whilst living in Australia and being paid my London salary now means that we are able to achieve a decent standard of living without taking on a HUGE mortgage (thats right in the UK, and yes I know all about house prices...).
Oh, and I am seeking 'small town' lower paid work in the UK, with the aim of being able to spend more time with my family. I suggest you relax, take a deep breath and stop imposing your own 'pet hates' when you do not have the facts at your disposal.
Old Oct 16th 2002, 11:31 am
Chris

"pommie bastard" wrote in message
news:444065.1034669192@britishexpats-
.com
    > My God you're a whinger... and a bludger too it seems.
    > Chris
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://briti-
    > > shexpats.com/http://britishexpats.com

> >
    > Yawn thats the best you can do , wanting a fair days pay for a days work
    > is bludging

Your problem is that you're head is still in the UK, still converting your
dollars into pounds... absolutely useless unless you're taking all your cash
back to the UK.

Chris

Old Oct 16th 2002, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Herman - a few thoughts

I can see why you're in corporate finance. Don't you think that it is unreasonable to compare corporate finance in Oz now (worldwide business 'downturn') to when you were still doing it in the UK in boom times? You and I both know that plenty of people in the corp fin. sector have been retrenched in London and the guys there have trouble saying no to clients too.

Secondly - you were earning pounds whilst working in Oz. As I said earlier this coupled with an already high salary should require you to work your butt off. For a few years hard work you are now able to escape the rat race - are you really in a situation to complain?

DPR
Old Oct 16th 2002, 1:33 pm
plucka

Originally posted by Herman:
Who actually said I was whinging and 'doing nothing about it'. Good god, do you want my life story to support every point I make? My posting was somewhat whingey, I'll give you that and was designed to compliment other 'warnings' I have posted about the expectations of Australian employers so that others do not come here with the misguided impression that Australia automatically resolves those UK work/life balance issues. Many have argued that on my salary I should expect to work weekends, I disagree and think 7.30am to 7.30pm with 10 minutes for lunch is enough for anyone. I believe that this weekend work attitude so prevailent in my firm in Sydney is entirely wrong, especially as those getting paid the real money are nowhere to be seen on Saturday and Sunday.
Anyway, dont want to get into childish arguments with you, too many on this forum. Just for your information my wife and I are returning to the South West of England in April to live close to my family and old friends and to start a family of our own. The amount of money we have saved whilst living in Australia and being paid my London salary now means that we are able to achieve a decent standard of living without taking on a HUGE mortgage (thats right in the UK, and yes I know all about house prices...).
Oh, and I am seeking 'small town' lower paid work in the UK, with the aim of being able to spend more time with my family. I suggest you relax, take a deep breath and stop imposing your own 'pet hates' when you do not have the facts at your disposal.

So you were whinging for whinging's sake then? What makes you think you are posting important information? Do you think the policies of your company represent all Australian jobs? Of course not, I've worked a lot longer than you in the Australia and I very very rarely had to work weekends and when I did I got paid overtime. Like the previous post says you should really appreciate that the world economy is in a rut and conditions cannot be compared to a few years ago. I would also echo the feeling of most people on this thread that being you have hardly much to complain about when earning the money you suposedly do. Get of your high horse and have some humilty. No-one likes a whinger.

Old Oct 16th 2002, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Enough??????
Old Oct 16th 2002, 11:26 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by plucka:
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

So you were whinging for whinging's sake then? What makes you think you are posting important information? Do you think the policies of your company represent all Australian jobs? Of course not, I've worked a lot longer than you in the Australia and I very very rarely had to work weekends and when I did I got paid overtime. Like the previous post says you should really appreciate that the world economy is in a rut and conditions cannot be compared to a few years ago. I would also echo the feeling of most people on this thread that being you have hardly much to complain about when earning the money you suposedly do. Get of your high horse and have some humilty. No-one likes a whinger.

The Aussies can whinge a far bit and about most things not only about Poms, but I have found out that people who use the word whinge are those who are doing themselfs but from a different angle .
Old Oct 16th 2002, 11:59 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Chris:
"pommie bastard" wrote in message

Your problem is that you're head is still in the UK, still converting your
dollars into pounds... absolutely useless unless you're taking all your cash
back to the UK.

Chris
Not at all it if I did that I would feel hell of a lot worse off , I only think in amount earned to what I spend here.
After 9 years we will be taking a lot less back than what we came with but its swings and roundabouts given 12 months we will be better off . Befor you pull me up I know what we will both earn and cost of things in UK the internet is a great tool for finding out things plus my son keeps me informed as well as ex work mates.