Reload this Page >

To sat, or not to stay?

To sat, or not to stay?

Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To stay, or not to stay?

God, I am soooo confused.

I just don't know whether to go for it or not. The move to Oz that is. I would go tomorrow, but I do have my family to think of, which includes hubby and 3 young kids (7,2 and 1).

Hubby went for an interview last week, and I had the house valued at a really great price. So, I kind of thought that if he got the job and we found a nice house that it would be fates way of saying to stay here as we would be really comfortable.

We are in a 3 bed semi with a £500 per month mortgage. To go to a 4 bed detached the mortgage would go up to nearly £900 on a £200k house. But the 4 beds are sooooo small. Then I look at houses in Oz and what I could buy for that amount really makes me wanna go. It isn't all about the house size I know, but what with the weather and all I can't help but wanna go. I am happy with what I have, but I'm sure we could have a better life.

Sorry, just had to vent my frustration!!

Regards
Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: To stay, or not to stay?

Originally posted by noodle
God, I am soooo confused.

I just don't know whether to go for it or not. The move to Oz that is. I would go tomorrow, but I do have my family to think of, which includes hubby and 3 young kids (7,2 and 1).

Hubby went for an interview last week, and I had the house valued at a really great price. So, I kind of thought that if he got the job and we found a nice house that it would be fates way of saying to stay here as we would be really comfortable.

We are in a 3 bed semi with a £500 per month mortgage. To go to a 4 bed detached the mortgage would go up to nearly £900 on a £200k house. But the 4 beds are sooooo small. Then I look at houses in Oz and what I could buy for that amount really makes me wanna go. It isn't all about the house size I know, but what with the weather and all I can't help but wanna go. I am happy with what I have, but I'm sure we could have a better life.

Sorry, just had to vent my frustration!!

Regards
Hi Noodle
see my thread half empty/half full
best wishes
rach
Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Rach

Don't know what's up, but I went to your profile and all your posts and only 2 came up!!!

Hi noodle
just looked at my profile and it says i've posted 1100 posts!
anyway, never mind, all the post said was that if you/your partner/children are not 110% sure then maybe you should put it off, things will be hard enough anyway without one of you blaming the other if your'e not happy. I know its not the end of the world if things dont' work out but i honestly think that both parties have to be certain that moving to the other side of the world is what they both want.
What doubts are you having noodle?
pm me if you like
hugs
rach x
Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Hi Noodle
see my thread half empty/half full
best wishes
rach

Hi rach

Just read your post. It was all my idea, and my dream in the first place. My husband was just happy to go along with it. And then when my doubts kicked in, he was more up for it than me. It isn't just the house situation at the end of the day, it's the job situation aswell. Hubby's job is very important to him and he needs to stay in the same line of work to be at the top.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi rach

Just read your post. It was all my idea, and my dream in the first place. My husband was just happy to go along with it. And then when my doubts kicked in, he was more up for it than me. It isn't just the house situation at the end of the day, it's the job situation aswell. Hubby's job is very important to him and he needs to stay in the same line of work to be at the top.
What does your hubby do for work noodle and where were you hoping to settle?
hugs
rach x
Old Jan 24th 2004, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

What does your hubby do for work noodle and where were you hoping to settle?
hugs
rach x
He's in IT. Not your average job though. He's very well qualified. The choice was really between Sydney and Melbourne, so we decided upon Melbourne. Although, after looking today, there are jobs in Perth and Brisbane for a CCIE also. We've decided tonight to try and go for it-again. It's just the job security thing that will make us decide for sure, I guess. One minute I'm like, sod it lets go for it, the next I'm a bit scared, but never that scared. I love my children and husband to bits and I am sure we could settle anywhere. I certainly have done on it on my own, but it's abit more scarey with the kids. Yeah, it's all an experience, but one that would cost us alot and the way house prices keep going up here, we'd be lucky to afford a 2 bed if we came back!

Scared:scared:
Old Jan 24th 2004, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

He's in IT. Not your average job though. He's very well qualified. The choice was really between Sydney and Melbourne, so we decided upon Melbourne. Although, after looking today, there are jobs in Perth and Brisbane for a CCIE also. We've decided tonight to try and go for it-again. It's just the job security thing that will make us decide for sure, I guess. One minute I'm like, sod it lets go for it, the next I'm a bit scared, but never that scared. I love my children and husband to bits and I am sure we could settle anywhere. I certainly have done on it on my own, but it's abit more scarey with the kids. Yeah, it's all an experience, but one that would cost us alot and the way house prices keep going up here, we'd be lucky to afford a 2 bed if we came back!

Scared:scared:
At the end of the day mate, life is not a dress rehearsal - we get one shot at it only. Dont live a life of regrets mate
good luck with whatever you decide to do,
hugs
rach x
Old Jan 24th 2004, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

At the end of the day mate, life is not a dress rehearsal - we get one shot at it only. Dont live a life of regrets mate
good luck with whatever you decide to do,
hugs
rach x

I know mate, I've got plenty of regrets anyway, but you learn to live with 'em!! We're gonnna keep on trying for now and I'm sure we'll get there one day. I think it's all the waiting around and uncertainty that makes you doubt it all. I am at bloody home all day.....thinking......
Old Jan 24th 2004, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Noodle, you're not alone in the way you feel...promise! I feel like this so often it's getting silly now! Some weeks I'm soooooo positive that it's the best move we could make (me, hubby and two little ones) and the next few weeks I go into a complete state of panic, get so scared and convince myself we'll all stay here instead!

I've just said to my other half, 'why are we doing this? Why are we trying to make our lives better when there's nothing really that wrong with the ones we have' He reckons that if we don't at least try then we will regret it when we're old. He can be so positive about this, he's just said that we should take the gamble and o.k it may be a big one, but the rewards may be fantastic. If it all fails and it goes t**s up, o.k we'll have had a few years experience of living in Oz and it'll probably have cost us a few quid but at least we can say we DID IT.

Only you know in your heart what's right for your family, I'm sure you will get the right answer soon enough......or if you're anything like me you'll make your mind up, then unmake it, then make it....etc, etc, etc!

Good luck
Old Jan 24th 2004, 6:43 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

I know mate, I've got plenty of regrets anyway, but you learn to live with 'em!! We're gonnna keep on trying for now and I'm sure we'll get there one day. I think it's all the waiting around and uncertainty that makes you doubt it all. I am at bloody home all day.....thinking......
If it's any consolation, Noodle...

I'm sure I've posted on here elsewhere that, in my life certainly, when a big move like this becomes a reality, every single time, without fail (even this time when I'm much older & wiser ) I've veered from feeling 'Great! We're going!' to 'Oh my god, WHAT HAVE I DONE?!! There's no way....' and back again, many times each day. Very normal and perfectly OK - just your brain's way of dealing with it.

I'm in IT too, so I know only too well the roller coaster ride our job market has taken over the last few years

I can't decide for you, but I will raise my glass of cider to you as the chicken roasts gently in the oven...

Anya.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by anya4oz
If it's any consolation, Noodle...

I'm sure I've posted on here elsewhere that, in my life certainly, when a big move like this becomes a reality, every single time, without fail (even this time when I'm much older & wiser ) I've veered from feeling 'Great! We're going!' to 'Oh my god, WHAT HAVE I DONE?!! There's no way....' and back again, many times each day. Very normal and perfectly OK - just your brain's way of dealing with it.

I'm in IT too, so I know only too well the roller coaster ride our job market has taken over the last few years

I can't decide for you, but I will raise my glass of cider to you as the chicken roasts gently in the oven...

Anya.

Cheers Anya

I'll drink to you too mate as I get drunk on my wine. What are you up to in IT?
Old Jan 24th 2004, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by TraceyW
Noodle, you're not alone in the way you feel...promise! I feel like this so often it's getting silly now! Some weeks I'm soooooo positive that it's the best move we could make (me, hubby and two little ones) and the next few weeks I go into a complete state of panic, get so scared and convince myself we'll all stay here instead!

I've just said to my other half, 'why are we doing this? Why are we trying to make our lives better when there's nothing really that wrong with the ones we have' He reckons that if we don't at least try then we will regret it when we're old. He can be so positive about this, he's just said that we should take the gamble and o.k it may be a big one, but the rewards may be fantastic. If it all fails and it goes t**s up, o.k we'll have had a few years experience of living in Oz and it'll probably have cost us a few quid but at least we can say we DID IT.

Only you know in your heart what's right for your family, I'm sure you will get the right answer soon enough......or if you're anything like me you'll make your mind up, then unmake it, then make it....etc, etc, etc!

Good luck
I know Tracey, you have to face the ups and downs, and have people have told me before, you wouldn't be normal if you didn't have your doubts. It doesn't make it any better though, does it? I'm sure it's alot easier if you know what the place is like that you're planning on going to and especially if you now people there or have family for a bit of support! Where are you going?

xx
Old Jan 24th 2004, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I know Tracey, you have to face the ups and downs, and have people have told me before, you wouldn't be normal if you didn't have your doubts. It doesn't make it any better though, does it? I'm sure it's alot easier if you know what the place is like that you're planning on going to and especially if you now people there or have family for a bit of support! Where are you going?

xx
Hi Noodle, we're off to Perth in July/Aug, I've never been there but my Hubby has and says it's nice!
We know a couple of people who are there so that's a help, but then I worry that I will be a burden to them and I really don't want that, you understand?
I also now a few people who use this site, we were old friends at school and didn't know each other were going until a conversation a few weeks ago!! And to top that, we're all heading for the same location and area!!!
But from what I gather, people are so friendly out there that they go out of their way to make you welcome, especially if you have little kids. I've just been looking up all the playgroups etc in the area, that'll help for me I think.
I reckon doubts are normal (well I bloody hope they are!!) it's just so frightening and even worse when you've got kids.
Where are you headed??
Old Jan 24th 2004, 7:07 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Noodle,
Agree with everyone else. We can't decide for you but are all going through the same yes / no feelings.
If you plot a graph it's going to swing up and down throughout the process. Comes with the territory.
Even if you go and it doesn't work out will it have been a bad decision? I don't think so.
It will have been an experience you should not miss.
Good luck
Old Jan 24th 2004, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Bix
Noodle,
Agree with everyone else. We can't decide for you but are all going through the same yes / no feelings.
If you plot a graph it's going to swing up and down throughout the process. Comes with the territory.
Even if you go and it doesn't work out will it have been a bad decision? I don't think so.
It will have been an experience you should not miss.
Good luck
Too true

i thought about writing down the pros and cons, but you can't really do that about a place you've never been too. Oh well....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.