Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sat Nav wizz kids

Sat Nav wizz kids

Old Aug 21st 2005, 4:16 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Sat Nav wizz kids

Seriously thinking a Sat Nav on arrival in Oz would be a good idea. Looking at a Tom Tom as have used one here and they seem easy to install in car/good at getting you there.

On looking up the price in Oz they are about £200 dearer than here...!

So my question is...being a bit dim..can I buy one here and get it reconfigured/uploaded with Oz road info

Any of you wizz peeps know...?
Old Aug 21st 2005, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sat Nav wizz kids

Originally Posted by peppi
Seriously thinking a Sat Nav on arrival in Oz would be a good idea. Looking at a Tom Tom as have used one here and they seem easy to install in car/good at getting you there.

On looking up the price in Oz they are about £200 dearer than here...!

So my question is...being a bit dim..can I buy one here and get it reconfigured/uploaded with Oz road info

Any of you wizz peeps know...?
Destinator 3 has Aus maps, Tom Tom far as I know does not. I assume you mean with a PDA.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 6:42 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Destinator 3 has Aus maps, Tom Tom far as I know does not. I assume you mean with a PDA.
No tomtom PDA is not avalable in Aus yet

Tomtom go is avalable only so far. If you wanted to run the maps on your UK GO system then i see no reason why not just stick in your Aus SD card and hey presto away you GO? Or upload your Aus map to the go unit. Only problem is youll have to buy the TT Aus version from someware and i havent found anybody stocking it yet as a standalone product?

I run a spv with TT3 much beter than desinator i wonder if the GO maps run on a PDA?
I have asked TT but they are awful at responding and only give you very limited information. Guess they want you to get your $ out
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:12 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

thanks for your replies

I went onto tom tom web site and found stockists in Aus of the PDA tom tom which is where I got the price difference from....

I just have no clue how these things work. Now a bit confused as I dont understand the technical speak...but in broad terms if the have the same PDA system as here as they seem to advertize they have, can you download something to it on arrival to reconfigure it for Oz

On reading your reply again from what I can gather you can get a card for it...is that correct...?If I cant get the card here then assume I could get one when I touch down...over there

Last edited by peppi; Aug 21st 2005 at 7:15 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:27 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by peppi
thanks for your replies

I went onto tom tom web site and found stockists in Aus of the PDA tom tom which is where I got the price difference from....

I just have no clue how these things work. Now a bit confused as I dont understand the technical speak...but in broad terms if the have the same PDA system as here as they seem to advertize they have, can you download something to it on arrival to reconfigure it for Oz

On reading your reply again from what I can gather you can get a card for it...is that correct...?If I cant get the card here then assume I could get one when I touch down...over there
Hello peppi as far as i can work out the pda version is not avalable yet, the Aus tomtom site only offers a Go system this is different to the PDA type. the pda is a small handheld computer that does lots of things including running TT.
With my Pda you "upload" software via your main computer via usb cradle to the pda and save it to an SD card. Tomtom also do extra maps already installed on SD cards for europe usa etc. but not Aus yet

Dont junk your PDA if thats what you have as it is useful for lots of other things. If you have the GO system ie only does TT then dont junk it either as it will only need the maps from australia which i would guess will be avalable sometime soon

If you go on the UK site it will show you the differences between PDA and GO systems
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

On a similar topic, I've got a Road Angel Classic here in the UK, and am hoping that I can take it to Oz and get it uploaded with local scamera information on subscription there. Just going to email the Oz distributors to see if this is possible.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Storini
On a similar topic, I've got a Road Angel Classic here in the UK, and am hoping that I can take it to Oz and get it uploaded with local scamera information on subscription there. Just going to email the Oz distributors to see if this is possible.
I'd also be interested to know if software that shows fixed speed camera sites is available in Oz like it is in the UK. I want to keep driving fast!. On the same note are speed radar detectors legal in WA?. I know they are illegal in most of OZ, but not sure about WA.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'd also be interested to know if software that shows fixed speed camera sites is available in Oz like it is in the UK. I want to keep driving fast!. On the same note are speed radar detectors legal in WA?. I know they are illegal in most of OZ, but not sure about WA.
My understanding is laser detectors (and diffusers) and radar detectors are banned everywhere in Oz, but GPS-based alerting units are permitted everywhere in Oz. So, with my Road Angel Classic, I'd have to unplug the laser sensor add-on (and not have it in the car) but could continue to use its GPS alerting function. This is assuming I can get a subscription to the Oz Road Angel database; I'll post what I find from the distributor.

Many roads in the NT outside major towns have no speed limits

You'd be best to make contact with the Oz chapter of your marque club: they'd have the on-the-ground tips on avoiding trouble with the law...
Old Aug 21st 2005, 10:24 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Bump!

Would be interesting to hear whay people say.
Bye
Mark
Old Aug 21st 2005, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Tut!!!! I thought this thread was going to be something interesting for the kids. Was intrigued as I thought it was a new craze. No, it was just me being thick (again!!!! ).

Tracey
Old Aug 21st 2005, 10:55 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

This site might help get an idea of what is available - navman are competitors to tomtom.
http://www.navmanaus.com.au/

Garmin have single-unit GPS like the 'go' http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/mobile.php

there are also quite a few on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Compaq-Ipaq-3...QQcmdZViewItem

The feature you are looking for in speedcam alerting is called waypoint alarming - those are the thing that let you insert waypoints (speed cams) and alarm when you get near. You need of course to find someone who has created a database of the speed-camera maps and converted them to waypoints for your navigation software Tomtom / Navman / Magellan etc. This might not exist for Australia.

Speeding is frowned upon here for good reason. So dont come here expecting to speed or you will lose your licence esp in the 'burbs or city. Move to the NT or go on track days, there are enough hoons on the roads without importing more. The radio announces where speed-cameras are but there are plenty of hide-behind-tree police with mobile cameras who will catch you and you will get a fine and penalty/demerit points.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 11:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Storini
My understanding is laser detectors (and diffusers) and radar detectors are banned everywhere in Oz, but GPS-based alerting units are permitted everywhere in Oz. So, with my Road Angel Classic, I'd have to unplug the laser sensor add-on (and not have it in the car) but could continue to use its GPS alerting function. This is assuming I can get a subscription to the Oz Road Angel database; I'll post what I find from the distributor.

Many roads in the NT outside major towns have no speed limits

You'd be best to make contact with the Oz chapter of your marque club: they'd have the on-the-ground tips on avoiding trouble with the law...
Might not be illegal in WA:
http://www.radarlaser.com.au/lawsrdau.htm

Worth further investigation.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 11:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by spalen
Speeding is frowned upon here for good reason.
Driving fast on it's own is not dangerous.
Driving fast & badly or driving fast in the wrong conditions is dangerous.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 11:22 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Driving fast on it's own is not dangerous.
Driving fast & badly or driving fast in the wrong conditions is dangerous.
Believe what you like - there is a huge advertising campaign here on speeding. They're doing it for a reason. The wrong conditions are - a road where there is another person driving whose actions and reactions you cannot be assured of.

There is not the prevelance of big motorways like UK most roads are contraflow in that if you have a momentary lapse of judgement at 90k instead of 70k you are 2 metres further along and into the other lane and 4 people die. Seems worth it to me .

In my experience here people dont drive fast during normal day . Hooning at night does go on.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 11:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by spalen
Believe what you like - there is a huge advertising campaign here on speeding. They're doing it for a reason. The wrong conditions are - a road where there is another person driving whose actions and reactions you cannot be assured of.

There is not the prevelance of big motorways like UK most roads are contraflow in that if you have a momentary lapse of judgement at 90k instead of 70k you are 2 metres further along and into the other lane and 4 people die. Seems worth it to me .

In my experience here people dont drive fast during normal day . Hooning at night does go on.
That's cool, but you're wrong about the speeding. I respect your opinion though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.