Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sat Nav Techies Question

Sat Nav Techies Question

Old May 30th 2005, 7:03 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Sat Nav Techies Question

Just posted it in the imi forum nevermind

I wonder if my SPV M2000 phone pocket pc

a; will work in Australia?

b; will run my tomtom navigation software in Australia. I understand maps will have to be installed but i don't think tomtom or Tele Atlas actually map Australia.

Lastly if TT is not going to work is there a pocket pc navigation software program available for Australia? or will it have to be a dedicated boxed system.

it'd be shame to have to ditch the M2000 as it works well as a multi function machine.

Thanks
BoR
Old May 30th 2005, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sat Nav Techies Question

Not sure about your particular nav system, but there is one sat nav software for Australia. Had the same thoughts for my ipaq pda sat nav. i can upgrade the software for $500. its expensive but useful. try this website, as it details the pda's etc it will work with. hope it helps. http://www.ja-gps.com.au/gps-travroute3.html

Chris
Old May 30th 2005, 8:46 pm
OZ in Sep -HOme at last

macnet1 will become famous soon enough

I use tom tom here in the UK on my Ipaq and I understand from the Tom Tom site that there are no maps for Oz.
However NAvman do it for about a £100 for IPAQ but not sure about yout system.

Im going in Sep and will be getting the maps from NAvman before then.

Wish it was Tom Tom though.

Here is a cracking site that will let you know about anything to do with Sat Nav GPS etc...

http://pocketgpsworld.com/
Old May 30th 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

biscuit63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macnet1
I use tom tom here in the UK on my Ipaq and I understand from the Tom Tom site that there are no maps for Oz.
However NAvman do it for about a £100 for IPAQ but not sure about yout system.

Im going in Sep and will be getting the maps from NAvman before then.

Wish it was Tom Tom though.

Here is a cracking site that will let you know about anything to do with Sat Nav GPS etc...

http://pocketgpsworld.com/
I'm not sure about gps mapping in Oz but alot of people I know recommend Destinator 3, which has maps of most countries including the US and UK. It comes on a CD which you load onto a PC and upload to a CF or SD card for your PDA.

Biscuit63
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bed Of Roses
Just posted it in the imi forum nevermind

I wonder if my SPV M2000 phone pocket pc

a; will work in Australia?

b; will run my tomtom navigation software in Australia. I understand maps will have to be installed but i don't think tomtom or Tele Atlas actually map Australia.

Lastly if TT is not going to work is there a pocket pc navigation software program available for Australia? or will it have to be a dedicated boxed system.

it'd be shame to have to ditch the M2000 as it works well as a multi function machine.

Thanks
BoR

Can't answer your questions regarding Tom Tom or your SPV M2000, but I do know of a good Oz reference site for all things GPS...

http://www.expansys.com.au/d_gps.asp

Have fun

Gav