Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:27 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Originally Posted by Clippies
We've just bought a Tom Tom One v2 Europe (nothing fancy!)- hoping to use it when we go on hols to Austria and then hoping we can get maps to use it in Oz too when we go. I have an absolutely terrible sense of direction so hopefully it will come in useful!

For anyone that's interested, I had a code which got me 10% off at PCWorld - not exclusive to Tom Tom, it's 10% off all the SatNav they sell

Think we paid £224 for the one we bought, which seemed to be a good deal compared to elsewhere
i was asking in halfords about oz maps,the chap told me you go onto the tom tom website and download the oz map for 30 quid,i have tried but you need proof of purchase to enter the site,,

would someone be so kind to check it out???

thanks ast..
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:30 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Originally Posted by andyphilpott
I've always found Tomtom to be the best but there are only about 3 main mapping companies who provide the data in the world. Sensis is one, TeleAtlas (tomtom) is another, so in effect you may be buying the same maps but with a difference conduit - ie the user interface. Check this out - I'm sure different units will use the same software therefore it's not going to matter which is more expensive - the data will still be the same.

Any satnav unit that takes 30 mins to locate a satellite has a fundamental fault in it. I work in Formula One and thus travel a lot and we all use tomtom - every new country is a challenge but as long as you turn the unit on outside of a car (some cars have windscreens that offer poor satellite imagery), AND you are not moving until the unit has located the satellites, then it should take between 2-7 or so minutes, but in general I found it takes about 4.

I did not use it Melbourne as I know my way around there but certainly none of the other chaps in my team had an issue...
found the same myself.

If you take the time to start up the nav system, and get a pinpoint first of all, you will be on your way very quickly.

The latest GPS systems use SIRF III which all have a much quicker find time for the sats, and longer battery life as well. A cold start is now about 4 minutes, and a warm start is about 30 seconds nowadays.

I prefer Tomtom to Navman for sure, and I have used sat nav on different PDA's, navigation units & now a smart phone.

Just recently sold my Navman unit to a Dutch guy going backpacking in Oz for a year, so now i'm running TomTom mobile with europe & Oz maps installed.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:33 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
i was asking in halfords about oz maps,the chap told me you go onto the tom tom website and download the oz map for 30 quid,i have tried but you need proof of purchase to enter the site,,

would someone be so kind to check it out???

thanks ast..
Hi there Marcus.

still having a few probs with the tomtom.

Is that for the N70 ? otherwise give me a call on skype or phone. I'll pm the details.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:55 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Hi there Marcus.

still having a few probs with the tomtom.

Is that for the N70 ? otherwise give me a call on skype or phone. I'll pm the details.

hey furkew .i just checked out the tom tom website and a map for the whole of oz is £60...
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:58 pm
Going for a ride

hey furkew .i just checked out the tom tom website and a map for the whole of oz is £60...
when are you going down under ?

might be an idea to wait till as last minute as possible, just incase they are due for a new version.

Paul.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by furkew
when are you going down under ?

might be an idea to wait till as last minute as possible, just incase they are due for a new version.

Paul.

27 days and counting
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:07 pm
Going for a ride

27 days and counting
Lucky B...........d

had you found a buyer for the cars ? ooops, sore subject.

I bet you can't wait.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:15 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh is that for any tom tom? That's not bad I'd heard they were well expensive - I'm off to have a look
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

I've just checked the Tom Tom website and the Australia map for a Tom Tom Go is 159.96 Euro (normally 199.95 Euro) which is about £107.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by wafc
I've just checked the Tom Tom website and the Australia map for a Tom Tom Go is 159.96 Euro (normally 199.95 Euro) which is about £107.
hang on ill have another look,im sure it was in dollars
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:26 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

hang on ill have another look,im sure it was in dollars
Oh I forgot to look, I'll look now
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:28 pm

Oh bugger, that's what I got too Maybe they'll have a Christmas sale

Just a thought, can you update the maps you've already got for free or does it cost you?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, can you update the maps you've already got for free or does it cost you?
There already is a 20% discount so I doubt it will come down in price anytime soon.

You can't update the maps for free, you have to buy the new maps, not sure if it is at full price or not.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:32 pm
Banned

sorry chaps it was,euros 107£.

clips,ill pop you half round and you can download the maps??
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:36 pm

There already is a 20% discount so I doubt it will come down in price anytime soon.

You can't update the maps for free, you have to buy the new maps, not sure if it is at full price or not.
No way!!!! Can't believe you have to buy new maps that's a right rip off! should be free to update them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.