British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sat Nav Recommendations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sat-nav-recommendations-661957/)

Smartinis Mar 31st 2010 1:54 am

Sat Nav Recommendations

I'm sure many of you have got these, so which one would you recommend. I need to buy one (or at least will get my new job to pay for it), it doesn't need to be the cheapest but I want one that is easy to use, will give me alerts for school zones etc, lane changes, exits for freeways. Any advice would be appreciated, I may also need to use it interstate (I'm in VIC) and possibly in NZ. I've read that some have time lag problems which I would find really annoying.

ABCDiamond Mar 31st 2010 4:20 am

Re: Sat Nav Recommendations

The one that my wife has got is better than mine.

I have a Tom Tom, she has a Navman.

Jen1977ni Mar 31st 2010 8:49 am

Or if you've an iphone, just upload the maps and get the Tomtom cradle....

Wol Mar 31st 2010 8:57 am

I've two Navmen and a TomTom - would take the latter every time.

rodandhayley Mar 31st 2010 9:46 am

tom tom one 230 bucks superb piece of kit

quoll Mar 31st 2010 9:55 am

If you have an iphone then Sygic does a fantastic job at half the price.

Jen1977ni Mar 31st 2010 10:15 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 8462339)

Don't u need a cradle to boost the GPS signal though?

Jen1977ni Mar 31st 2010 10:17 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 8462339)

TomTom maps are £45, Sygic ones are £30....well, in the app store anyways?!

ABCDiamond Mar 31st 2010 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8462389)
TomTom maps are £45, Sygic ones are £30....well, in the app store anyways?!

As well as the two I mentioned, I have a built in one in my car, but the maps are $400 !!!

Jen1977ni Mar 31st 2010 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8462404)
As well as the two I mentioned, I have a built in one in my car, but the maps are $400 !!!

BUGGER ME?! Really?!

ABCDiamond Mar 31st 2010 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8462411)
BUGGER ME?! Really?!

Yes, really !! ;) That's why I bought a new one, well two actually, for less than the cost of a single map upgrade !

Actually I just checked the website again, and they have come down, only $249 now :thumbup: I got something in the post from them last week, but I never even bothered opening the envelope :rofl:

But these are for the in-car systems, more complex, to cater for the more accurate thingy whatever, I suppose. :blink:

in-car systems to be more accurate than stand-alone GPS devices when determining your car’s speed and distance. These systems can even work out your location when there's no GPS signal – for instance, when you're travelling through tunnels.

Jen1977ni Mar 31st 2010 10:58 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8462450)
Yes, really !! ;) That's why I bought a new one, well two actually, for less than the cost of a single map upgrade !

Actually I just checked the website again, and they have come down, only $249 now :thumbup: I got something in the post from them last week, but I never even bothered opening the envelope :rofl:

But these are for the in-car systems, more complex, to cater for the more accurate thingy whatever, I suppose. :blink:

My bro bought me the tomtom cradle for the iphone for Christmas/in preparation for our move over here, so paying £45 for the maps wasn't bad at all, been very handy when going somewhere for the first time!

GarryP Mar 31st 2010 11:05 am

If you have an Android phone (>v1.6) you can persuade Google Navigator to work - free maps that are as up to date as Google is.

Other than that, I always prefer iGo.

quoll Mar 31st 2010 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8462384)
Don't u need a cradle to boost the GPS signal though?

Nope, you need a cradle to sit it in so you can read it but the signal is pretty good without anything special. I used mine quite a bit in UK and just tried out the Aus one last night, it was spot on.

australianinleicester Mar 31st 2010 8:02 pm

I have had a Tom Tom for several years with Europe and Australia on it, it is a great piece of kit, I have tried a few others and a few built in ones, but for ease of use and clear directions, the Tom Tom wins hands down.