Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sat Nav, buy in Singapore?

Sat Nav, buy in Singapore?

Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of
Default Sat Nav, buy in Singapore?

We are going on a recce to Melbourne and Brisbane in March and stopping off in Singapore on the way, is it cheaper to buy it in Sing than here?

Being a sat nav virgin I do not have a clue just don't want us getting hopelessly lost as we have limited time so any advice gratefully received, also what make is best value for money. We are on a budget as the recce is costing an arm and a leg
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sat Nav, buy in Singapore?

Originally Posted by milliesmum
We are going on a recce to Melbourne and Brisbane in March and stopping off in Singapore on the way, is it cheaper to buy it in Sing than here?

Being a sat nav virgin I do not have a clue just don't want us getting hopelessly lost as we have limited time so any advice gratefully received, also what make is best value for money. We are on a budget as the recce is costing an arm and a leg
Make sure you get one with Aussie software. Find out how much they cost here, so that you know what you should be paying.
Simlim Square is the place to go for this kind of stuff. If you like gadgets,you'll love Simlim.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Make sure you get one with Aussie software. Find out how much they cost here, so that you know what you should be paying.
Simlim Square is the place to go for this kind of stuff. If you like gadgets,you'll love Simlim.

What's wrong with a UBD hard copy.... Much prefer that to the automated announcer voices!!!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muzza04
What's wrong with a UBD hard copy.... Much prefer that to the automated announcer voices!!!
They're a bit hard to read when you are doing 100kph at night........
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

See now you are both getting technical and its going right over my head

I am so not a gadget girl!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:15 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I havent found electronics to be much cheaper in singapore than here in aus - well like maybe a small bit but not enough to make it worth the hassle and lose the warranty.

check www.dse.com.au for high street prices - they're not the cheapest but they are high street - like tandy/dixons type place. So you can walk in and pick it up. Also check out ebay.com.au - you'll see prices on there closer to singapore/hong kong prices cos people export from HK/Sing to Aus.

Seriously - save the money - get a refedex (map) for 30 bucks.

If you buy satnav in aus it wont work in UK without spending megabucks on UK maps -and vice versa .

Hertz - will rent you a car with Satnav in it - as will many others - maybe think about that I dunno how much they charge I always get it on expenses so dont see the bill.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Muzza04
map reading makes me car sick
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spalen
I havent found electronics to be much cheaper in singapore than here in aus - well like maybe a small bit but not enough to make it worth the hassle and lose the warranty.

check www.dse.com.au for high street prices - they're not the cheapest but they are high street - like tandy/dixons type place. So you can walk in and pick it up. Also check out ebay.com.au - you'll see prices on there closer to singapore/hong kong prices cos people export from HK/Sing to Aus.

Seriously - save the money - get a refedex (map) for 30 bucks.

If you buy satnav in aus it wont work in UK without spending megabucks on UK maps -and vice versa .

Hertz - will rent you a car with Satnav in it - as will many others - maybe think about that I dunno how much they charge I always get it on expenses so dont see the bill.
Thanks for that! I had thought about just renting a car with it already installed but thought it might not be cost effective esp as we will need it when we eventually move. I will look into to it
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:19 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by milliesmum
map reading makes me car sick
Or you could be like me & just drive around until you find where you need to be going. I refuse to ask for directions.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

They're a bit hard to read when you are doing 100kph at night........

Do that and it's roadkill Roos for dinner
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Or you could be like me & just drive around until you find where you need to be going. I refuse to ask for directions.
If I did that then I would prob be locked up for murder! All 3 kids and dh

I think for all our sakes we need sat nav