Sars????

Old Apr 25th 2003, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sars????

Anyone got info/ideas/views on how SARS is going to effect travel to Oz in the next couple of months. Anyone flown recently. Is it going to be the plague of our times or is it just another big hyped up media scare now that Iraq has got a bit boring. There have probably been lots of stuff on SARS on here already but I can't be fagged to trail back.

Elaine
Old Apr 25th 2003, 5:02 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

This is where you can find the SARS bulletin by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)

http://www.dfat.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/...ratory_Syndrome

Thinking about flights eh? First step Elaine?

I heard stories about horror flights where everyone was wearing masks and stuff but that could be hype too.

You could always go via the US if it makes you feel better. We are going over in Oct via a stopover in Singapore (booked before all this came out) so we are desperately hoping they've got a lid on it by then!

Em.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 10:12 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by emmahafryn
This is where you can find the SARS bulletin by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)

http://www.dfat.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/...ratory_Syndrome

Thinking about flights eh? First step Elaine?

I heard stories about horror flights where everyone was wearing masks and stuff but that could be hype too.

You could always go via the US if it makes you feel better. We are going over in Oct via a stopover in Singapore (booked before all this came out) so we are desperately hoping they've got a lid on it by then!

Em.
ABTA said don't worry if you're passing through, it's if you spend some time that it's a worry. However since I've caught asian flu from the recycled air on a plane a mask is a sensible precaution. Is it any hardship to wear one? They only cost a couple of quid.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 7:28 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, how di you eat and drink for 18 hours?
Old Apr 26th 2003, 10:44 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sars????

Originally posted by grubelice
Is it going to be the plague of our times or is it just another big hyped up media scare now that Iraq has got a bit boring.
While you probably won't get SARS from short-term exposure to a SARS carrier, prolonged exposure isn't recommended.

My brother dons what they call the doctor's FBG (full battle gear) when he works in the hospital, tending to patients who are suspected to have SARS. Three doctors in Singapore have died from the disease, and hundreds of civilians and medical personnel worldwide have also succumbed.

It's just a hype? Go tell it to the three babies in Hong Kong who were born prematurely because their mothers had SARS and were dying. Two of the mothers died shortly after the operation, while the remaining mother is recovering. All three babies are suspected of having SARS at birth and are in ICU.

Peter
Old Apr 26th 2003, 10:56 am

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Just out of interest, how di you eat and drink for 18 hours?
Through your ears Seriously the one hour that you're eating and exposed is still better than 18 hours without.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

we are seriously worried, we go via singapore, 3 hour stop over. do they actually give you masks? ( not used ones i hope) it really is frightening isnt it ?? :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 26th 2003, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

You can get masks here

Mike.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

The masks are only effective when dry- when wet with exhaled breath, ineffective.According to the lecture we had at work last week- average life of a mask-three minutes.Thats a lot of masks and the basic masks are ineffective anyway.Spend your money carefully.Katie.:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 27th 2003, 12:25 am
AdamAnt

Originally posted by Chris
The masks are only effective when dry- when wet with exhaled breath, ineffective.According to the lecture we had at work last week- average life of a mask-three minutes.Thats a lot of masks and the basic masks are ineffective anyway.Spend your money carefully.Katie.:scared: :scared: :scared:
Chris,

I've always thought that masks were to reduce infection SPREADING FROM THE WEARER - they are NOT very effective PREVENTION.

Virus particles are very small and need specialized filters to remove 100% of them. I have a beard so a mask does not fit tightly anyway.

Do you have more info on the topic?

Old Apr 27th 2003, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

The most accurate and up tp date info can be accessed on the World Health Organisation web site- Sars route of infection is THOUGHT to be by inhalation of droplets from infected people ie sneezing and coughing-but this is not 100% prooven as yet.Bare in mind that malaria kills more people in one day than Sars -at present.Kate.:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 27th 2003, 12:41 am
AdamAnt

Hospital Infection Control Guidance for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)

Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Em. [/QUOTE]

Hi

Just to let you know that we got back from Aus yesterday having stopped over for 2 nights in Singapore. Nobody was wearing masks on the streets of Singapore, in contrast to when we flew over at the end of March when we went via Hong Kong. In HK I would guess 50 % of people were wearing masks - probably as many as 90% on the underground. All waiters in restaurants in HK were wearing masks. When we flew out of HK and touched down at Singapore for a couple of hours we were met by nurses fully gowned up and checking all passengers.

The general impression I get was that Singapore have very much got things under control due to their strict use of quarantine measures. Certainly we didn't feel concerned while we were there. Having said that though, I've had to take my son to the doctors this am to get a certificate that he's not exhibiting any clinical symptoms of SARS before they would let him attend!

The nice thing about Singapore at the moment is that there are hardly any tourists! You can get some good deals in the shops! It's not good for their economy though and I hope they find a cure soon....
Old Apr 28th 2003, 2:24 pm
Homeward Bound

Hi Nicstids,

Well that's nice to now anyway. Thanks for the info.

Em.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nicstids

Em.

Hi

Just to let you know that we got back from Aus yesterday having stopped over for 2 nights in Singapore. Nobody was wearing masks on the streets of Singapore, in contrast to when we flew over at the end of March when we went via Hong Kong. In HK I would guess 50 % of people were wearing masks - probably as many as 90% on the underground. All waiters in restaurants in HK were wearing masks. When we flew out of HK and touched down at Singapore for a couple of hours we were met by nurses fully gowned up and checking all passengers.

The general impression I get was that Singapore have very much got things under control due to their strict use of quarantine measures. Certainly we didn't feel concerned while we were there. Having said that though, I've had to take my son to the doctors this am to get a certificate that he's not exhibiting any clinical symptoms of SARS before they would let him attend!

The nice thing about Singapore at the moment is that there are hardly any tourists! You can get some good deals in the shops! It's not good for their economy though and I hope they find a cure soon.... [/QUOTE]

can i just ask if the plane was empty as well??? plenty of empty seats to lie across i hope. we go in 4 weeks via singapore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.