Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sanctuary Lakes / Point Cook / Altona Whats It Really LIke???

Sanctuary Lakes / Point Cook / Altona Whats It Really LIke???

Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Michael Branagan-Harris will become famous soon enoughMichael Branagan-Harris will become famous soon enough
Default Sanctuary Lakes / Point Cook / Altona Whats It Really LIke???

Looking to move to Melbourne this August - spending my life at the moment on realestate.com.au - what is Sanctaury Lkaes really like? Looks a bit more interesting on the pics that the normal 'burbs with the lakes etc. Someone mentioned the traffic was bad getting to the freeway, but amy other views? I will be travelling into the CBD every day and understand this is a 50 min journey (Big deal in the UK!!!!) distance of around 20km. Also any views on Altona or Point Cook and the Boardwalk Primary School?

Also being near lakes does this mean Mossies?

We all would prefer a new house in new area - dont really care for the trains

Thanks Mike
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sanctuary Lakes / Point Cook / Altona Whats It Really LIke???

Originally Posted by Michael Branagan-Harris
Looking to move to Melbourne this August - spending my life at the moment on realestate.com.au - what is Sanctaury Lkaes really like? Looks a bit more interesting on the pics that the normal 'burbs with the lakes etc. Someone mentioned the traffic was bad getting to the freeway, but amy other views? I will be travelling into the CBD every day and understand this is a 50 min journey (Big deal in the UK!!!!) distance of around 20km. Also any views on Altona or Point Cook and the Boardwalk Primary School?

Thanks Mike
Mike

Click on Search, enter Sanctuary Lakes in the box and click Go and quite a few threads on SL's will come up and they answer most of your questions above. I've said a fair bit in these threads about SL's, Altona and Point Cook so won't repeat myself!

I've been to SL's in summer and winter (but not lived there), mossies didn't seem to be any greater than elsewhere; I don't know much about Boardwalk P.S. but there are Pt Cook posters on here with young children so bound to be some first hand impressions. Unless one is going to live on the seafront at Altona (quite expensive and homes do go for over 7 figures from time to time), SL's in particular and Pt Cook would be more preferable (much newer housing stock, away from chemicals and related industries etc).

If you haven't already discovered it, this website might be useful for you:
http://www.communityguide.com.au/com...mmunitygroups/

OzTennis
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

Thanks Mike
Hi Mike,

We looked at Point Coint/SL area but bought in Manor Lakes - More house for the money and not that much further out - worth a look

http://www.manorlakes.com.au/manorlakes/home.sok

Good luck

Colin
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:02 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Thanks Mike
Sanctuary Lakes has been described on this site as a Florida style estate built around lakes with a golf course and all the amenities/shops you could need. BenandPam live there, so perhaps they could give you a more experienced view of its "feel". Point Cook is another ok estate slightly nearer the freeway. On the other side of Skeleton Creek you have Altona Meadows which appears to be a developing housing estate with few shops on it at the moment. To the North of Altona Meadows is a water plant which smells quite bad at times and an explosives testing area which is a bit worrying if you have kids. Altona beach, on the other hand is fine with a nice enough centre and a decent enough esplanade. One thing you have to take into account in the Western suburbs is they're developing, so buying there is considered by many as a great investment. Therefore, some suburbs which appear as not so nice now may be very desirable in 10 years time. But, of course, that's a big risk.

The traffic in the West is generally not too bad, but the freeway itself can be quite heavy during the rush hours. However, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes to get to the CBD from any of these suburbs.

Can't say anything about the schools but someone did post a link to a site with school league tables the other day. It may have been Pipers-mummy or Jonahs-mummy, I think. I don't have kids so can't quite remember.

Good luck

Carl
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fireeater
Sanctuary Lakes has been described on this site as a Florida style estate built around lakes with a golf course and all the amenities/shops you could need. BenandPam live there, so perhaps they could give you a more experienced view of its "feel". Point Cook is another ok estate slightly nearer the freeway. On the other side of Skeleton Creek you have Altona Meadows which appears to be a developing housing estate with few shops on it at the moment. To the North of Altona Meadows is a water plant which smells quite bad at times and an explosives testing area which is a bit worrying if you have kids. Altona beach, on the other hand is fine with a nice enough centre and a decent enough esplanade. One thing you have to take into account in the Western suburbs is they're developing, so buying there is considered by many as a great investment. Therefore, some suburbs which appear as not so nice now may be very desirable in 10 years time. But, of course, that's a big risk.

The traffic in the West is generally not too bad, but the freeway itself can be quite heavy during the rush hours. However, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes to get to the CBD from any of these suburbs.

Can't say anything about the schools but someone did post a link to a site with school league tables the other day. It may have been Pipers-mummy or Jonahs-mummy, I think. I don't have kids so can't quite remember.

Good luck

Carl
Altona Meadows has a large shopping centre with a Coles New World supermarket, Big W, lots of other shops.

OzTennis
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:09 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Altona Meadows has a large shopping centre with a Coles New World supermarket, Big W, lots of other shops.

OzTennis
Where??

Cas
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We found that Western Burbs was really affordable- and with reasonable sized blocks, but of course it is reasonably industrial.
We live in Newport/Altona North which is quite residential, fab for freeway, off peak is 12 mins to city, rush hour rather more as bridge in to city can be a nightmare! We think it a great place to live and has quite a good community spirit....
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pomster
We found that Western Burbs was really affordable- and with reasonable sized blocks, but of course it is reasonably industrial.
We live in Newport/Altona North which is quite residential, fab for freeway, off peak is 12 mins to city, rush hour rather more as bridge in to city can be a nightmare! We think it a great place to live and has quite a good community spirit....
Hi We live on the Newport/Williamstown border...so we are nearly neighbours.
Can you hear that rain !

Cas
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Where??

Cas
From Williamstown the scenic way is to go down Millers Rd (i.e. turn left from Kororoit Creek Rd) as far as Altona beach, go along the Esplanade to the end, turn right then quick left at Kooringal Golf Club and follow the road (Queen St) about 2 miles. You will see a big shopping centre on the left.

Altona Meadows shopping centre isn't Altona Gate or Werribee Plaza size by a long way but as I said it has a Coles NW, a Big W and the usual array of small shops, take-aways etc. A mile or so further on is the big roundabout at Laverton - left for SL's and Pt Cook, right onto the freeway. Alternatively from Willy turn left onto Maidstone St from KC Rd, go down almost to the beach, right into Queen St at Kooringal GC.

I haven't got my Melways with me but it's on Map 53 which adjoins SL's and PC maps 207/208.

OzTennis
Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

From Williamstown the scenic way is to go down Millers Rd (i.e. turn left from Kororoit Creek Rd) as far as Altona beach, go along the Esplanade to the end, turn right then quick left at Kooringal Golf Club and follow the road (Queen St) about 2 miles. You will see a big shopping centre on the left.

Altona Meadows shopping centre isn't Altona Gate or Werribee Plaza size by a long way but as I said it has a Coles NW, a Big W and the usual array of small shops, take-aways etc. A mile or so further on is the big roundabout at Laverton - left for SL's and Pt Cook, right onto the freeway. Alternatively from Willy turn left onto Maidstone St from KC Rd, go down almost to the beach, right into Queen St at Kooringal GC.

I haven't got my Melways with me but it's on Map 53 which adjoins SL's and PC maps 207/208.

OzTennis
Thanks - is that Central Square? we thought that was Laverton.

We were round there the other day looking for fraser, and it just seemed as though the main body of Altona Meadows - nr Cheetham Wetlands - was deviod of shops from what we could see.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Thanks - is that Central Square? we thought that was Laverton.

We were round there the other day looking for fraser, and it just seemed as though the main body of Altona Meadows - nr Cheetham Wetlands - was deviod of shops from what we could see.
I'm not sure of its official name of the shopping centre but that's Altona Meadows - starts just after the netball stadium/BMX track and is basically everything from Skeleton Creek and the wetlands up to Queen St. Seabrook is to the west on the other side of Skeleton Creek and Laverton is mainly to the north of the freeway.

Long story but I just have 4 Melways maps (a liftout from Williams Real Estate mag - has 54, 55, 56 and 208. The shopping centre is just off the edge of 208 on 53 but I can just see it has a La Porchetta and is on the cnr of Merton and Queen Sts (might be called Central Square). I guess people live in part of AM's which is a fair walk from the shopping centre but these 'burbs are in the land of the car country!

OzTennis
Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

I'm not sure of its official name of the shopping centre but that's Altona Meadows - starts just after the netball stadium/BMX track and is basically everything from Skeleton Creek and the wetlands up to Queen St. Seabrook is to the west on the other side of Skeleton Creek and Laverton is mainly to the north of the freeway.

Long story but I just have 4 Melways maps (a liftout from Williams Real Estate mag - has 54, 55, 56 and 208. The shopping centre is just off the edge of 208 on 53 but I can just see it has a La Porchetta and is on the cnr of Merton and Queen Sts (might be called Central Square). I guess people live in part of AM's which is a fair walk from the shopping centre but these 'burbs are in the land of the car country!

OzTennis
Cheers, yes I agree, it was just that I was looking at areas for fraser, who has two little kids - and a local shop might be handy whereever he ends up...
Cas
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Michael Branagan-Harris will become famous soon enoughMichael Branagan-Harris will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by colinmorgan
Hi Mike,

We looked at Point Coint/SL area but bought in Manor Lakes - More house for the money and not that much further out - worth a look

http://www.manorlakes.com.au/manorlakes/home.sok

Good luck

Colin
Colin thanks very much for this looks really nice - I have done a search on Realestate.com.au (we are looking to rent) nothing came back at all (did not even list the area) - maybe people are not renting out homes yet? thanks Mike
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fireeater

Good luck

Carl
\Thanks Carl - great info and appreciated. We are looking to rent for a couple of years initially until we get permanent Visas. Looks good though - thanks and best wishes Mike
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:09 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road

\Thanks Carl - great info and appreciated. We are looking to rent for a couple of years initially until we get permanent Visas. Looks good though - thanks and best wishes Mike
Mike

Interesting thread, good info for all.

See you on the 25th

Stu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.