Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Samsung fridge freezer

Samsung fridge freezer

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

emlou has a spectacular aura aboutemlou has a spectacular aura aboutemlou has a spectacular aura about
Default Samsung fridge freezer

Hiya all,

we are off to Brisbane next week (Yippee!!!) after having our 457 visas granted some weeks ago. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to defrost & clean the samsung side by side fridge freezer to prepare for shipping? Have heard you should use vanilla essence in water to wipe inside over???

I've checked my instruction book & I have to say it's pretty useless, can't find anything on how to defrost & clean.

Any advice would be most appreciated,

Regards

Emma
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:27 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Samsung fridge freezer

Originally Posted by emlou
Hiya all,

we are off to Brisbane next week (Yippee!!!) after having our 457 visas granted some weeks ago. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to defrost & clean the samsung side by side fridge freezer to prepare for shipping? Have heard you should use vanilla essence in water to wipe inside over???

I've checked my instruction book & I have to say it's pretty useless, can't find anything on how to defrost & clean.

Regards

Emma
You can also hang dry tea bags from the shelves , these absorb any dampness in the Air...............mm
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:17 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all

Hiya all,

Regards

Emma
Not sure about the cleaning side but 2 points you might need to check what type of refrigerant gas is in the fridge it must be a non ozone depleting refrigerant gas (non cfc) to get into Australia if you look inside there will be a label with the type of refrigerant let me know and i will tell you if its ok. One other point make sure you wedge the doors slightly open to stop any mould build up. Also after it is shipped DO NOT TURN ON FOR 24 HRS AFTER IT HAS BEEN PUT IN PLACE this is to alow the oil to return to the compressor and will stop it burning out.

Steve (ps im a refrigeration engineer)
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevelaird
Not sure about the cleaning side but 2 points you might need to check what type of refrigerant gas is in the fridge it must be a non ozone depleting refrigerant gas (non cfc) to get into Australia if you look inside there will be a label with the type of refrigerant let me know and i will tell you if its ok. One other point make sure you wedge the doors slightly open to stop any mould build up. Also after it is shipped DO NOT TURN ON FOR 24 HRS AFTER IT HAS BEEN PUT IN PLACE this is to alow the oil to return to the compressor and will stop it burning out.

Steve (ps im a refrigeration engineer)
Defo agree with leaving the door wedged open a bit...to let it 'breathe'

If you do a search on fridges on here you will find lots of different opinions 'bring it/don't bring it'.

We brought our Whirlpool fridge, but purchased and Oz Whirlpool fridge of about the same size whist we were waiting for the container to arrive. We now run the two side by side and the UK one works miles better than the Oz one!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi

We brought our samsung side by side out with us. Try to defrost about a week before if you can to allow time to dry out. We left our to the last minute and although OK when arrived had a bit of mould cleaned up as new now. The doors on ours were wedged open with packing boxes.

Make sure you can get it out if the house though with packaging on otherwise you may have a sticky moment . We were able to take the back door off our house to get it out.

Jane
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hiya all,

Regards

Emma
Bi-carbonate of soda also takes the smell of "fridginess' away. To defrost simply just turn it off for afew days.
Make sure the packers keep the F/F upright. Laying it down will cause the gas to escape.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:23 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Not sure if this help, but I just brought in Oz a Samsung side by side ff 540 litres for $1298.00 (not the ice making one). This might help you figure out whether it's worth bringing.

The movers should have silica packets = you can ask them to bring a few spare to help with moisture. Otherwise tea bags (hanging) or bi carb should work.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:35 am
Just Joined

emlou has a spectacular aura aboutemlou has a spectacular aura aboutemlou has a spectacular aura about

Thank you everyone, you've really helped me out.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:09 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Bi-carbonate of soda also takes the smell of "fridginess' away. To defrost simply just turn it off for afew days.
Make sure the packers keep the F/F upright. Laying it down will cause the gas to escape.
It wont cause the gas to escape if you turn it upside down or round about but what it will do is make the oil leave the compressor which in turn would cause a compressor burn out nothin at all to do with refrigerant charge. so if you turn a fridge on its side the reason to leave it 24 hrs is for the oil to drain back into the compressor nothing at all to do with gas.

steve
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:20 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Laying it down will cause the gas to escape.
damn all these years trying to find leaks and all i had to do was make sure the fridge was stood up

SORRY couldnt resist

Jon