Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sampling OZ (Staying for 2-3 weeks)?

Sampling OZ (Staying for 2-3 weeks)?

Old Sep 5th 2009, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Lee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant future
Default Sampling OZ (Staying for 2-3 weeks)?

Whats the best way to sample Australia?

We want to come over for 2-3 weeks and check out if it's where we want to emigrate.

We want to come over and see what its like and to see what jobs are avalible and what it's like to 'live' in Australia.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Sampling OZ (Staying for 2-3 weeks)?

Originally Posted by Lee and Laura

We want to come over for 2-3 weeks and check out if it's where we want to emigrate.

We want to come over and see what its like and to see what jobs are avalible and what it's like to 'live' in Australia.
2 to 3 weeks won't be enough to get the feeling. You will prob live it as a holiday.
As people keep saying, it takes 2 years to get the real feeling. Now that is a long holiday.
But at least you will have been and got an incy wincy taste.

Which part of OZ anyway, it's a big place.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Lee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant future

Looking at Melbourne area
Old Sep 5th 2009, 8:01 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

I would target the type of area you would like to live in. For example, do you want the hustle and bustle (closer to the city) or the quieter life (outer suburbs)? Of course this may also be dependent on where you work but you won't know that until something is lined up.

On the jobs front, well, it depends on what you do but since you are on a quick tour, then I would line up agencies to speak with. People blast them on BE, which may be justified, but the good ones will know what is going on in the local job market and it allows you to get a "feel" for what is going on. It can also allow you to get an idea of the companies you may want to target for future employment. However, I would also do a bit of homework before coming over using online job searches (seek etc.) so you're not completely unprepared. This would also allow you to ask more probing questions if speaking with a recruiter.

I agree with a previous poster in that 2-3 weeks is probably not enough to really get under the skin of Melbourne and know what it is like to live there, but I would try and make the most of the weekends and explore the place. No point in going crazy and filling up each and every day with new activities because it won't allow you to get a feel for the place otherwise. Good luck!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Two/three weeks isn't long but it's a good start. I replied to a reccie planning trip thread a while ago with some thoughts, which might be of use to you.

Yes you can do things on the Internet, but nothing beats being on the ground doing your own research.

One point I'd like to reinforce is don't think in £s when you're here. Don't even waste time calculating exchange rates - it's fine to get an idea of the lump sum you may bring with you, but after that you'll be earning $s.

Hills Boy
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
2 to 3 weeks won't be enough to get the feeling. You will prob live it as a holiday.
As people keep saying, it takes 2 years to get the real feeling. Now that is a long holiday.
But at least you will have been and got an incy wincy taste.

Which part of OZ anyway, it's a big place.
well I just came back from oz, and I have lived in 4 different countries already.

during the couple weeks, i investigated estate agents, and spoke to recruitement agents. Due to the approach. I got a good feel of the people, and the place. Some expats i spoke to their, were so surprised what my thoughts of oz. As i adapted well.

If you lived overseas before. you are more aware and know how to drop processes and understandings from another country
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:33 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Are you spending all the 3 weeks in Melbourne? OZ is a vast varied country, will 3 weeks in Melbounre show you what it is like to Live in OZ, l don't think so, if you don't like Melbounre will you not immigrate or will you see if theres other parts of the country you like.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

As was said before you will probably treat it like a holiday.

We came over in 2004 and did 4 days in Sydney, 6 days in Melbourne, 3 days in Brisbane and 5 days in Port Douglas. Absolutely loved it.

Came over to live at the beginning of 2008 and hated it from the get go. Now back in Europe.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MartinH
As was said before you will probably treat it like a holiday.

We came over in 2004 and did 4 days in Sydney, 6 days in Melbourne, 3 days in Brisbane and 5 days in Port Douglas. Absolutely loved it.

Came over to live at the beginning of 2008 and hated it from the get go. Now back in Europe.

That happen to me in Argentina, spent 5 weeks there, wanted lived there after. got there and hated it.

When went for interviews in brussels, hate it straight it away,

you should be more aware now
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

We want to check out the area, the jobs, housing etc.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Did 3 weeks for a reckie. It is a holiday no matter how you see it..The difference is trying hard not to be on holiday when your there if you know what i mean. We rented a holiday house.went to the supermarket for groceries, filed car up with petrol etc, got up at a normal time as if going to work, stuff you do at home as much as possible. It is too small a sample of oz life to give a true perspective of what it is really like. I will head out in the future under no illusions of what it really will be like.
Paul