sample cv

Old May 1st 2008, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

leeh36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sample cv

I have a cv which now looks really outdated and basic.

As I had so many short term or temp jobs when straight out of school the cv is about 3 pages long and looks too busy.

Can I just disregard all the early employment after leaving school and only include jobs in the last 10 years which are relevant to the positions I am now applying for or should I keep them all on view?

Has anyone got a simple and clear template cv which I could use as i'm not even sure how the Oz cv's relate to ours?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Lee
Old May 1st 2008, 11:42 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sample cv

Originally Posted by leeh36
as i'm not even sure how the Oz cv's relate to ours?
Australian resume's start with current, and work back if that's of any use.

Google it, there's bundles out there! ...
Old May 1st 2008, 11:55 am
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

As I had so many short term or temp jobs when straight out of school the cv is about 3 pages long and looks too busy.

Can I just disregard all the early employment after leaving school and only include jobs in the last 10 years which are relevant to the positions I am now applying for or should I keep them all on view?

Has anyone got a simple and clear template cv which I could use as i'm not even sure how the Oz cv's relate to ours?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Lee

Hiya Lee,

We had my husbands CV professionally done , as they do have a different layout in Aus and we had it done for migration purposes, it did cost us £60 but it was well worth it we think, they have it about 2 pages max and also they do sometimes ask for a cover letter, this is not to say you cannot do it yourself, but they do make you sound like the dogs b******s on them when prof done, they dont tho put on anything that isnt true! here is the link to who did ours

http://www.cvcl.co.uk/

just wanted to say , we started sending hubbies prof done cv/resume out begining of feb and landed a sponsor in march, we are in the process of all the visa processing as we speak, i hope this is of some help, but as i said there is nothing stopping you doing it yourself if you want to , this is just a suggestion

kind regards
michell

http://www.cvcl.co.uk/emigrationcv.htm

Last edited by michell; May 1st 2008 at 12:06 pm.
Old May 1st 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Lee
This is what I have done in the past:
  • Start CV with your details (name, address etc)
  • followed by career highlights or strengths (bullet points) " I managed a team of .....", "saved the company $ ...." or "excellent communication skills" etc. whatever you feel are the most attractive things you have to offer them.
  • Then I would put work experience from most current, a paragraph will do, again bullet point it and personally, I wouldn't go past 10 years, they're unlikely to read it!
  • Followed by education/training
  • Interests/hobbies
  • References (word of advice, put "supplied upon request" in here if you are using recruitment agencies).
Narrow it down to 3 pages, 4 max. Don't forget, they will likely have to look through maybe hundreds of CVs, make yours easy to read and to the point.

Good luck!
Old May 1st 2008, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michell
Hiya Lee,

We had my husbands CV professionally done , as they do have a different layout in Aus and we had it done for migration purposes, it did cost us £60 but it was well worth it we think,
People charge £60?

Maybe I should start charging to do them too.

OP if you PM me I will give you my e-mail addy and I'll take a look for you. I won't charge you - yet
Old May 1st 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
People charge £60?

OP if you PM me I will give you my e-mail addy and I'll take a look for you. I won't charge you - yet
Hey Wendy, you won't need that part time job now, you can run your own business.
Old May 1st 2008, 12:33 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

People charge £60?

lol yeah £60 the initiall payment is £32.50, but the advanced cv is £54.50 this is for anyone in med proff ,doctors ,nurses etc, company directors both public and private and for people needing a cv for emmigration purposes

michell
Old May 1st 2008, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Hey Wendy, you won't need that part time job now, you can run your own business.
If I had charged $5 for each one I have done so far I would be half way to becoming a millionaire already

lol yeah £60 the initiall payment is £32.50, but the advanced cv is £54.50 this is for anyone in med proff ,doctors ,nurses etc, company directors both public and private and for people needing a cv for emmigration purposes

michell
Thanks Michell, that's handy to know
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

People charge £60?

Perhaps you could ask to get paid in UK chocolate, or prawn cocktail crisps, etc. etc.

Johnnyyt
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
Perhaps you could ask to get paid in UK chocolate, or prawn cocktail crisps, etc. etc.

Johnnyyt
Erm, no thanks I prefer the Aussie chocolate and crisps
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:22 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

michell
If they need a CV done for them and I had heard of it as a recruiter I would not touch them with a bargepole, initiative is a big thing and a CV is a fairly basic thing to do if you stick to some simple rules, which are;
1. Don't make things up or lie, you always get caught out!!
2. Brevity is the key, never have a CV longer than 2 pages.
3. Personal data, then key summary, skills, quals, then employment history, in the case of OP put down e.g. 1999-2004 Temp agency with varying office based roles. It gives the recruiter something to ask in an interview.
4. Tailor your CV to the role you are applying for and keep a record of it for self review prior to your interview.
5. Spell check it!!!!! No fancy pics of logos!! Shout up your qualities, no one else will!!