Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Same Sex Realtionships:townsville???

Same Sex Realtionships:townsville???

Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold
Default Same Sex Realtionships:townsville???

Hi
I have been offered a professional job in Townsville and wondered if anyone else has gone over there who are in a same sex realtionship and how they have found it??? especially females?? We are not the type to flaunt our relationship but also want to feel safe where we live. Any thoughts from people out there with gay friends would also be appreciated. You are welcome to PM me if you would rather do so.

Thanks to all that contribute to the forum..as a new member I have found it really useful..especially when trying to decide whther to take the job offer in Townsville.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Same Sex Realtionships:townsville???

Townsville is fairly redneck. Indeed, most of Queensland is still pretty unreconstructed when it comes to acceptance of gay relationships. You would find a more friendly atmosphere in Sydney or Melbourne.

All that said, however, there are of course LGB people in North Queesland, particularly in health professions, but don't expect to be able to have any public displays of affection without attracting comment.

Sorry. When people talk about Oz being like the UK 30 years ago, it can also mean the bad sides...
Old Mar 12th 2007, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

laidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the rough

friends of ours said brisbane was ok and felt at ease coming out.... and while we there on our reccie was one of the few places we saw openly gay men... happy to hold hands in public etc...
hear lots of "redneck" stories as you go further north tho.... not much help i know
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

I spent a fair bit of time in townsville and magnetic island (well by that i mean about 5 months) and to be honest it isn't like sydney where I saw a lot of same gender couples holding hands kissing etc didn't ever see this is in townsville or magnetic island. Dosen't mean its frowned upon though i wasn't really looking to be honest. I think the more accepting place of Aus in my opinion was surfers paradise, judging by my experience you would have no problems there.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:02 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tripawaymars View Post
Hi
I have been offered a professional job in Townsville and wondered if anyone else has gone over there who are in a same sex realtionship and how they have found it???
You might want to drop "RabC" a pm and ask him. He isn't gay, but he and his wife have now been living in Townsville for a couple of years. They work there as environmental health officers. They might be able to tell you what people's attitudes are like.

Gina
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all your replies. i wouldn't expect to walk around holding hands with my partner..Ii dont even do that in Manchester!! I just wondered if anyone knew anyone or had heard of any bad experiences. I am not the sort of person to go telling everyone about my sexuality but I wouldn't lie about it if I were asked. Many people just assume I am straight and I dont correct them unless I need to..just easier that way..i quite like that people dont automatically stereotype me anyway..must be because I have grown my hair!!!!!

People keep mentioning rednecks..what exactly do you mean by this and do they cause other probs in Townsville?? How is it really as a place to live??? Iwould love to live in Sydney but my partner can't transfer with the job there...I am looking at trying to find a sponsor on the Sunshine Coast but will see what happens...

Thanks
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Tearose will become famous soon enoughTearose will become famous soon enough

If it helps my brother is gay, he has travelled all over Oz, and is currently in NZ, but hopes to get back to Oz. He loved Melbourne, and says being in a same sex relationship is more "accepted" there, than the UK, he has met a chap in NZ and are going to marry next year. He seems a lot happier within himself since he went oversea's, and feels that he can really be himself, which he found very difficult in the UK.
Hope this may have been a little help to you
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Same Sex Realtionships:townsville???

Thanks for all your replies. i wouldn't expect to walk around holding hands with my partner..Ii dont even do that in Manchester!!
I don't think it's a good idea to walk around Manchester at all, regardless of what you're doing!

Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again for the replies..I have heard that melbourne is cool..it can be unsafe to wander around manchester!!!! No, its not that bad..jus the rain brings a real downer on it!!!

Still undecided..keep reading stuff thats putting me off Townsville!!!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

laidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the rough

People keep mentioning rednecks..what exactly do you mean by this Thanks
Rednecks think small and narrow minded biggotted people.... racisist, homophobic insular and ignorant........

could add more but think that covers the general feelings.....
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GinaUK View Post
You might want to drop "RabC" a pm and ask him. He isn't gay, but he and his wife have now been living in Townsville for a couple of years. They work there as environmental health officers. They might be able to tell you what people's attitudes are like.

Gina
Happy to help. I have sent them a PM

Rob
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Hiya,
I'm a lesbian and living down at the Gold Coast. My partner and I moved over here about 2 months ago and to be honest, we've not had any problem so far. Infact, we've been really open with everyone we've met and that's been a lot of people due to the house build and so on. Everyone has been really nice and even when we go into places to sort out official things, they've all been really cool and haven't batted an eyelid at us being a couple. Infact our pool guy even came out to us as gay which was pretty amusing.
Anyway, I haven't been up further than the Sunshine Coast so I'm not sure what it's like up in the North of Queensland, but here it's been fine so far. We've seen plenty of lesbians around and hear things mentioned about it daily on tv or radio. People here seem a little bit more laidback. We went travelling to Melbourne and Sydney before settling here and we are VERY happy we picked where we did. If you want to chat about anything else you can PM me.
I imagine that alot of it will come down to where you work and what you do. There are some gay and lesbian run places in Townsville, so there's obviously some gay people there. I imagine it's not exactly jumping there, but there's gay people everyone hahahaha. Hopefully the locals are used to it.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:39 am
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold

Hi
I have been offered a professional job in Townsville and wondered if anyone else has gone over there who are in a same sex realtionship and how they have found it??? especially females?? We are not the type to flaunt our relationship but also want to feel safe where we live. Any thoughts from people out there with gay friends would also be appreciated. You are welcome to PM me if you would rather do so.

Thanks to all that contribute to the forum..as a new member I have found it really useful..especially when trying to decide whther to take the job offer in Townsville.
hi i live in Townsville and work with a guy who is gay and i get on really well with him and his partner , the people who i work with all aussies don't think anything of it , i really don't think you will have a problem

kez x
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi
Thanks for all your replies..I am a bit sensitive!! I ahev found out there are 5 gay people work where I have been offered a job so that is re-assuring work wise....

Many thanks
Liz
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Thanks for all your replies..I am a bit sensitive!! I ahev found out there are 5 gay people work where I have been offered a job so that is re-assuring work wise....

Many thanks
Liz
I did a bit of a staw poll today at work and nobody (all Ozzies male/female/young/old) seems to care or have an issues at all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.