Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Same sex emigration to oz...help!

Same sex emigration to oz...help!

Old Jan 31st 2004, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

figgie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Same sex emigration to oz...help!

Hi all
I have been researching emigration to oz for the past 3 weeks, and still cant get my head around how same sex couples can emigrate together. Now i have been reading loads of threads, and there are some impressive people out there who seem to be able to digest all the legal stuff and give great advice....please if you read this i need you!!!
I know that as a nurse i would probably be best to apply on some kind of skilled worker visa, but i know this wont allow my same sex partner to come with me as my spouse under the current de facto rules. So i looked into the interdependancy visa, which at first glance looked promising....however then i read that it only applies to either an australian citizen, or permenant resident.....
What i would like to know is, if i get a permenant visa, does that automatically make me a permenant resident, or do i have to have lived in oz for a period of time?
Thing is after being together for 6 years i dont see how i could go and live in oz for any length of time without her.
hope this makes sense, any suggestions or advice would be gratefully recieved.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 5:07 pm
WBB

Default Re: Same sex emigration to oz...help!

Originally posted by figgie
Hi all
I have been researching emigration to oz for the past 3 weeks, and still cant get my head around how same sex couples can emigrate together. Now i have been reading loads of threads, and there are some impressive people out there who seem to be able to digest all the legal stuff and give great advice....please if you read this i need you!!!
I know that as a nurse i would probably be best to apply on some kind of skilled worker visa, but i know this wont allow my same sex partner to come with me as my spouse under the current de facto rules. So i looked into the interdependancy visa, which at first glance looked promising....however then i read that it only applies to either an australian citizen, or permenant resident.....
What i would like to know is, if i get a permenant visa, does that automatically make me a permenant resident, or do i have to have lived in oz for a period of time?
Thing is after being together for 6 years i dont see how i could go and live in oz for any length of time without her.
you are correct that same sex couples can appy if one is an aussie citizen but i'm not sure how it works if you are both british/other.

i would post this question on the immigration forum or failing that write to DIMIA.

good luck.

Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Default same sex couples and emigration

Thanx wbb appreiciate the advice
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: same sex couples and emigration

p.s How do i post it on the immigration thingy majig???
Am not very good with this computer thingy!!
thanx
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I am sure I have seen this question raised somewhere before.
Can't think where though.

Have you tried a search on this forum?

If not a call to an agent may help.

Good luck

G
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
I am sure I have seen this question raised somewhere before.
Can't think where though.

Have you tried a search on this forum?

If not a call to an agent may help.

Good luck

G
Got it!
Look on the DIMIA website under interdependant partner migration.
It seems it is possible but you may have to go on a temporary visa initially.
As a nurse this will be no problem.

Look on
www.immi.gov.au
Use the search engine.

Good luck

G
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

NO COMMENT ON THE GROUNDS I MAY INCRIMINATE MYSELF.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:34 pm
WBB

p.s How do i post it on the immigration thingy majig???
Am not very good with this computer thingy!!
thanx
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...?s=&forumid=32

try this link.

Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by WBB
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...?s=&forumid=32

try this link.

In answer to one of your points.
Yes you would become a permanant resident once you have a PR visa and validate it.
Looking at the DIMIA website it does not seem that there is a qualifying period before you can sponsor your partner.THEY would have to go on a temp visa initially for 2 years.
As a nurse you should get PR in a few weeks.

G
Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:34 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to telephone my migration agent colleague Helen O'Hare on UK number 023 80 488777 (or email her via helen - at - gomatilda - dot - com) to discuss your visa strategy, which I think is likely to be for you to apply for a skilled visa in your own right (I recall that the same sex partner of a main applicant cannot be included on a skilled visa application) and for your partner to then apply for an Interdependency visa, with you as the sponsor of her application ..

Best regards.

Hi all
Old Feb 1st 2004, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Default re same sex couples and emigration

Thanks sooooo much everyone youve been really helpful
Hope i can repay the favour sometime!