Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Same **** Different Bucket!!!!!!

Same **** Different Bucket!!!!!!

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Same S!it Different Bucket!!!!!!

I'm with Grayling on this one. I think the constant putting down of the U.K. is a bit naive. Yes of course there is plenty of crime in Britain just as there is in any country.The same applies to illegal immigrants.
I agree same s**t, different bucket.
I think if you are emigrating it is better to go for the adventure and experience not because you want to escape crime and illegal immigrants.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:01 am

martin and sharon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Serious questions here - have you ever lived in Australia (not including holidays)?

R
No I haven`t. I am going out there blind so to speak. I take all serious comments on board and appreciate unbiased opinions. But if some people say it is so bad....then why are they still there?

P.S nice to speak to you!

Sharon
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by jugsy
I'm with Grayling on this one. I think the constant putting down of the U.K. is a bit naive. Yes of course there is plenty of crime in Britain just as there is in any country.The same applies to illegal immigrants.
I think if you are emigrating it is better to go for the adventure and experience not because you want to escape crime and illegal immigrants.
I didn`t realise that Australia was an under-developed country and that people still use buckets to sh!t in.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by martin and sharon

No I haven`t. I am going out there blind so to speak. I take all serious comments on board and appreciate unbiased opinions. But if some people say it is so bad....then why are they still there?

Sharon
It's not bad. it's just same s**t, different bucket
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:04 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Sharon
I know what grayling's response to this is going to be

Good luck sharon with the move...you'll only know whether you can live here until you move here. Each person on here has different needs and experiences to you which makes this site somewhat pointless sometimes.

Apart from the banter which is quite good!

R
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really be bothered

G
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:06 am

Good luck sharon with the move...you'll only know whether you can live here until you move here. Each person on here has different needs and experiences to you which makes this site somewhat pointless sometimes.

Apart from the banter which is quite good!

R
My feeling is that if we can survive here, then why not somewhere better. What do you do for a living?

Sharon
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Grayling
Can't really be bothered

G

What you mean is that you have already got sh!t up to your elbow with all the stirring you do!
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

I have no more problems with the UK than i have with any other country I have lived in, nowhere is perfect. I read the SMH online every day to make sure I arrive prepared, I am not expecting perfection.

But nobody moving to Oz is doing so because they think quality of life will be worse there...so it's natural for people to be talking about it in a positive light. I would imagine that most people do their research before making a big decision like to move across the world, but they will still be excited about their decision and looking forward to their adventure, hence the comments people make. I can't imagine feeling 100% sure about doing anything, and therefore there is an inherant human need to justify and back up with opinions/facts.

Sorry to rant! Just think it's probably better for people to have a chance express their opinions here, whatever they are.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

What you mean is that you have already got sh!t up to your elbow with all the stirring you do!
OK

You mentioned 'Yob Culture'

Here's a good example:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...6-1242,00.html

G
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:10 am

Are you stalking me

G

I do hope that`s not an invitation. :scared:
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:13 am

OK

You mentioned 'Yob Culture'

Here's a good example:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...6-1242,00.html

G
Thanks for the example. Couldn`t help but notice that the article read that the crime would not be tolerated and that it carried a sentence. Over here they would have been told not to do it again and got a slap on the wrist (which they would probably sue for)!

Sharon
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

[But nobody moving to Oz is doing so because they think quality of life will be worse there...so it's natural for people to be talking about it in a positive light. I would imagine that most people do their research before making a big decision like to move across the world, but they will still be excited about their decision and looking forward to their adventure, hence the comments people make.
I agree. Of course people want to be positive about the country they are going to. What I find a bit silly is people being negative about Britain and thinking that those problems won't be present in australia. Go for the pull factors not the push factors.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Of course people want to be positive about the country they are going to. What I find a bit silly is people being negative about Britain and thinking that those problems won't be present in australia. Go for the pull factors not the push factors.
Fair comment

This is a natural arena to air your thoughts and concerns though
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:17 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

People are just trying to show that you need to be realistic.
There is no point emigrating to escape crime because every country has it.
I agree, The only reason I posted my 1st ever post on here was because people come on here whinging about all the bad things in Britain and then go on to list all the bad things they are escaping from in the UK, like these problems don’t exist here in Australia. Well they do all exist with varying levels, something’s are better and some are worse but all of the same problems exist with a few extra thrown in for good measure. The reason people like me post is that its very frustrating reading about all the UK badness that supposedly either doesn’t exist or is much less here. No one want to spoil anyone’s adventure and I certainly had my rose tints on before getting here and know exactly what its like now in both places.

When I was planning the adventure here I was very unrealistic in my set in the way thoughts as to what Australia was going to be like and it just made for a rougher landing when reality hit.

I’ll give you just one of my misconceptions I had before coming here:- Our dog absolutely hates fireworks and thunder storms and I knew Australia wasn’t mad on fireworks and the weather is supposedly so much better there would be less thunder storms. Well I was right about the fireworks but a million miles away on the storms. In the 11 months so far hardly a couple of weeks go by without massive thunder storms of a magnitude far greater and scarier for the dog than anything we had in the UK.

All I want to say is be realistic, don’t leave the UK for any one or many reasons because they will all exist here. Come here because there is something you desperately need and want from Australia that you can’t find either in the UK or Europe. Not because something stinks back home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.