Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salary sacrificing????help please!

Salary sacrificing????help please!

Old Apr 29th 2005, 11:27 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary sacrificing????help please!

I should probably get this by now but I dont, can anyone explain it to me and how is it a job perk?
Thanks,
Michaela
Old Apr 29th 2005, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

astonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Salary sacrificing????help please!

complex question i will try my best. 1st thing to understand is it may not be. it depends on your circumstances so check with a tax agent. simply put income reduced at source (sacrificed) becomes non taxable. therefore you save the tax but lose the income. In return for this you get a benefit say a car. Now if the value to you of this car exceeds the value of the net loss of income you are in front. to work this out is not simple and depends on how many KM you do a year etc and other factors that i dont begin to understand. answer is to talk to your local hr and block guy for next to nothing who will point you in the right direction.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 11:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Michaela,
Don't know much about it but this may be useful ?

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/con...&mfp=&st=&cy=1
Old Apr 29th 2005, 11:50 am
Account Closed

That makes more sense, a car is the benefit for this job but its optional so will take some advice before accepting it,
Thanks Bix and Astonished
Old Apr 29th 2005, 12:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mcmercer
That makes more sense, a car is the benefit for this job but its optional so will take some advice before accepting it,
Have they given you the Salary figures with and without the car ?
Does the car package include all running costs ?

Old Apr 29th 2005, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have they given you the Salary figures with and without the car ?
Does the car package include all running costs ?

Hi Erick,
No, and I didnt ask as I didnt really understand it!!!!!
I will find out though, do I need to know anything else?
Thanks,
Michaela
Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:30 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Erick,
Thanks,
Michaela
Would you like to know when mybirthday is
Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
May 27th 1936

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:31 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
May 27th 1936

Cheers,
JTL
Same day as my Dad's, a great birthday for split personality Gemini's

Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:55 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Merlot
a great birthday for split personality Gemini's
So now you know there is two of me.

Good news eh ?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
lmao
Old Apr 30th 2005, 12:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bix
2 days after my mum, 1 day after my daughter, and 6 days before my wifes, excluding the year bit of course
Don't mention Gemini's to me

Old Apr 30th 2005, 12:55 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks,
Michaela
I think thats all the info you will need, but i'm getting a bit rusty now
Fringe Benefit Tax gets involved for the employer to pay.

Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:11 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Fringe Benefit Tax gets involved for the employer to pay.
Depends on the employer & the amount of kms you do.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 2:33 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

The taxation of cars provided by employers in Australia is almost more complicated than the benefits in kind legislation in the UK. There seems to be an aura surrounding what are called novated leases ... these are tax advantageous where an employee:

1. Does a fair amount of personal driving - there are points in terms of your total (personal and business) annual kilometres where the Fringe Benefits Tax payable by the employer drops, a key figure being 25,000 kms per year.

2. Is paying 47% income tax.

3. Would otherwise be paying for a car out of after tax salary.

In essence the company pays a third party lessor such as Leaseplan, GE Capital, the Commonwealth Bank, etc for the provision to you of a car (including servicing, petrol, insurance, and the associated FBT), and reduces your gross salary to reflect this. It should cost you less because the car is being paid for out of pretax dollars.

I was looking into this personally last week, and found a couple of useful websites:
http://www.gefleet.com.au/products/calculator.html
http://business.commbank.com.au/busi...CH2624,00.html

There is also a discussion thread on a Subaru website on this subject:
http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/to...07&whichpage=1

Not sure whether any of this helps ... hope it does!

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.