Reload this Page >

Salary sacrificing flights to the UK

Salary sacrificing flights to the UK

Old May 16th 2011, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

TGOC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary sacrificing flights to the UK

Hi All,
I was hoping someone could help? I was speaking to someone the other day who said if you are on LAFHA you can ask your employee to salary sacrifice flights home for people on your 457 Visa. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what the process is?
Thanks.
Old May 16th 2011, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Salary sacrificing flights to the UK

Originally Posted by TGOC
Hi All,
I was hoping someone could help? I was speaking to someone the other day who said if you are on LAFHA you can ask your employee to salary sacrifice flights home for people on your 457 Visa. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what the process is?
Thanks.
Not saying it's not the case, but I was on a 457, and know plenty of others who were as well and it's the first time I've heard that mentioned as an option.
Old May 17th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I think anyone can sacrifice for any "holiday" if you work for a public hospital. You also have a higher FBT limit.
Old May 17th 2011, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by medwaymark
I think anyone can sacrifice for any "holiday" if you work for a public hospital. You also have a higher FBT limit.
Certain public hospitals are tax exempt entities and hence don't pay FBT, I believe. This is a separate issue. I have heard of flights home as a LAFHA but don't know of anyone who has claimed. I was always on my min income for my 457 after my food and board so had no scope for this regardless.
Old May 17th 2011, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Never heard of this. My wife works at RPH and sacrifices for the mortgage and an entertainment allowance but I've never heard of that. Unless you mean sacrificing towards an entertainment card which you CAN use abroad but only for eating at restaurants etc.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Just looked it up......

About Private Travel
You can Salary Package private travel for you and your dependants as a Full FBT Benefit Item. This is limited to fares, accommodation and travel insurance and excludes entertainment and meals.

Maybe this is only for Queensland, I don't know. I also don't know what implications the "Full FBT Benefit" statement has.

I sacrifice for the mortgage & electricity, so I use all my allowance anyway.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Ordinarily FBT items are taxable in the hands of the employer, not the employee. As you work for a tax exempt employer, no one pays the tax.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this is what the OP is thinking of, but worth a look - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701657 -- claiming back tax for flights to return to the UK to sort out rental issues.