Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SALARY QUESTION UK - AU

SALARY QUESTION UK - AU

Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default SALARY QUESTION UK - AU

Hi All,

A recruiter has just contacted my wife about an interesting role in building services in Sydney and asking for her current salary. Her salary here in London is not great (27K py) and we are not sure if it's a good idea to disclose the number because they may take down her salary expectations.

Do you guys think that to would be better to reveal her salary now or just jump to her salary expectations?

Any idea about how much she can aspire in Sydney considering her current salary?

Cheers.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: SALARY QUESTION UK - AU

Originally Posted by MAR001
Hi All,

A recruiter has just contacted my wife about an interesting role in building services in Sydney and asking for her current salary. Her salary here in London is not great (27K py) and we are not sure if it's a good idea to disclose the number because they may take down her salary expectations.

Do you guys think that to would be better to reveal her salary now or just jump to her salary expectations?

Any idea about how much she can aspire in Sydney considering her current salary?

Cheers.

Just make up a bigger number honesty doesn't pay. You will need more in Sydney than London in my experience.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by isgraham
Just make up a bigger number honesty doesn't pay. You will need more in Sydney than London in my experience.
Thanks for that.. I totally agree but I think that at least we would need to set up her salary expectations to the equivalent here.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would never lie to a possible future employer. Be honest, but also say that you have assessed cost of living and your expectation is X.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would never lie to a possible future employer. Be honest, but also say that you have assessed cost of living and your expectation is X.
Thanks Bermudashorts! We would't cheat or bluff whatsoever; it's just stupid because at the end they will know.
What we don't want is companies or agents taking advantage which uses to happen in this climate.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bermudashorts! We would't cheat or bluff whatsoever; it's just stupid because at the end they will know.
What we don't want is companies or agents taking advantage which uses to happen in this climate.
Just make sure they don't bring current exchange rate into it. And not all companies are out to take advantage of people, many are decent.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:44 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Research the current salary for that role in Sydney, then you can answer honestly about current salary but your expectations here in Sydney. Also, take into account the loss/change of salary of the OH as that also has a significant effect.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:45 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure they don't bring current exchange rate into it. And not all companies are out to take advantage of people, many are decent.
I agree with that, when I came over the pound was a lot stronger so it worked in my favour but now it would a significant reduction.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Cheers.
Don't worry about the salary, just get your ass out of that riot-torn country!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Her current salary is absolutely none of their business, just tell them what her expected salary is after you do some research and find out how much is acceptable.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Neither would I but the OP has been contacted by a recruiter. I would tell them nothing about your current salary and everything about what you would expect to earn in Sydney.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:19 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Hi All,

Cheers.
On a cynical note, could be just a fishing exercise to use as leverage against another potential employee.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
On a cynical note, could be just a fishing exercise to use as leverage against another potential employee.
Recruiter, cynical, fishing?! Words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:30 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Recruiter, cynical, fishing?! Words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence!
Gulity as charged m'lud!! In a previous guise anyway!!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Hey paddyo, you moved to Bulli ?

I remember you moving to Oz around the same time as us, thought you started off in Syd though.
Welcome to the Gong !

Stu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.