Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salary packaging ?

Salary packaging ?

Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:06 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 13
Dr Spock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary packaging ?

Still in the UK & hope to be in Melbourne in March at the latest. A list of benefits my employer has listed is 'Salary packaging'. Anybody else recieve this and is it a good benefit ?
Dr Spock is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:14 pm
  #2  
why
BE Forum Addict
 
why's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,352
why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary packaging ?

Originally Posted by Dr Spock View Post
Still in the UK & hope to be in Melbourne in March at the latest. A list of benefits my employer has listed is 'Salary packaging'. Anybody else recieve this and is it a good benefit ?
https://www.msa-online.com.au/SalaryPackaging.asp
http://www.remunerator.com.au/index.php

there's a post on here about salary packaging

remunerator $9095 Tax Free

i do it and pay some of my mortgage which works well...it's a good deal...but the whole "salary package thing" seems a bit of a waste of time when they should just pay you more....it's worth a few thousand a year
why is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:18 am
  #3  
Has left the building
 
Geelong Gent's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,079
Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary packaging ?

Originally Posted by Dr Spock View Post
Still in the UK & hope to be in Melbourne in March at the latest. A list of benefits my employer has listed is 'Salary packaging'. Anybody else recieve this and is it a good benefit ?
The benefit is simply you are paying for expenditure out of gross income which gives you a decent tax saving (tax calculated on the remaining balance after this expenditure).

Things to bear in mind

If it is a vehicle related there are FBT implications (payable by the employer but in most cases recharged to the employee). The amount is based on list price of vehicle and consideration of mileage done - the more miles/kms the less you pay (yes it is a strange concept).

If you work for a charity they are FBT except.

There are limits on sort of vehicle you can buy - ie age of vehicle - so unless you are looking for new or late model (up to 4 years old) it may not be worth anything to you.

What items you can salary sacrifice depend on your employer.
Geelong Gent is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:10 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
GraemeS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Tapping
Posts: 104
GraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to all
Default Re: Salary packaging ?

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent View Post
The benefit is simply you are paying for expenditure out of gross income which gives you a decent tax saving (tax calculated on the remaining balance after this expenditure).

Things to bear in mind

If it is a vehicle related there are FBT implications (payable by the employer but in most cases recharged to the employee). The amount is based on list price of vehicle and consideration of mileage done - the more miles/kms the less you pay (yes it is a strange concept).

If you work for a charity they are FBT except.

There are limits on sort of vehicle you can buy - ie age of vehicle - so unless you are looking for new or late model (up to 4 years old) it may not be worth anything to you.

What items you can salary sacrifice depend on your employer.
If the car is leased by your employer for your to drive exclusively would it still count towards your tax?
GraemeS is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:28 am
  #5  
Has left the building
 
Geelong Gent's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,079
Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary packaging ?

Originally Posted by GraemeS View Post
If the car is leased by your employer for your to drive exclusively would it still count towards your tax?
FBT based on driver
Geelong Gent is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.