Reload this Page >

Salary in Melbourne

Salary in Melbourne

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Leaveorstay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary in Melbourne

Hi all

im currently living in Guildford earning £65k. I have a job offer to work in Melbourne for aud190k ex super. Am I better off with that salary offer?
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Leaveorstay
im currently living in Guildford earning £65k. I have a job offer to work in Melbourne for aud190k ex super. Am I better off with that salary offer?
Hi, welcome to BE. I've just found this post which may be helpful, although it's for Sydney and a couple of years old - Move to Sydney with Big 4

I'm sure the Oz bods will be along to give you a better idea shortly. Is it just you on that salary or do you have a spouse/children?
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Many thanks. This is helpful.

appreciate any other views on this.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 7:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Hi, will you be buying or renting? Spouse/partner and kids?

I worked out your tax and Medicare as a single person, on $190,000 gross per annum you'd clear $2,453 per week. It's a good salary.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Im on my own. Id like to buy a property but understand its a lot more expensive so perhaps renting to start with.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to check what visa you will be moving on, if it is employer sponsored is it temporary or PR? This is important, especially if you wish to buy a property and settle here.

That salary should see you maintaining your lifestyle here once all the expense of moving is taken care of. Usually 2.5 times in dollars to pounds is a fair swop at nearly three times that is a good deal if it does indeed exclude super.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Absolutely. You will break even at about $130,000 and be able to live a similar life based on cost of living. Anything more you can earn from there is a bonus. $190,000 + super is well exceeds your current salary. FWIW that type of salary puts you in about the top 5%
Old Jan 29th 2020, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your valuable advice. I'm visiting Melbourne at the moment to check things out. To be fair, except house prices cost of living here is only slightly higher than where I live in the UK - not as high as I expected.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 1:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your valuable advice. I'm visiting Melbourne at the moment to check things out. To be fair, except house prices cost of living here is only slightly higher than where I live in the UK - not as high as I expected.
That's my experience too - my overall COL is only a bit higher than it would be in the UK. Forget all those 2, 2.5, 3 conversion rates of AUD/GBP - it's nonsense. We all have different COLs and only you can decide if it works for you

Good luck
Old Jan 30th 2020, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If you are comparing armpit areas of the UK, yes housing is higher in Melbourne, but say v London housing is much cheaper in Melbourne as an overall proportion of your earnings.

Other than soft drinks, everything else is cheaper in Melbourne. Fuel for example. Over Xmas in UK I was paying the same in pounds as I would in dollars. About 1.50 pounds or dollars per litre in both places.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The Melbourne offer is significantly better than what you are making in the UK. $190,000 is a very good salary for Australia. I would move on this offer.

You have not answered what type of visa you are on, that is very important for things like buying property etc. If it is a temporary visa with remote prospects for permanency that may change your outlook somewhat.

Super is generally 9.5% but that will increase in the next few years to 12%. On what you have quoted you will likely have to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

I will be on visa 482 i think - temp skilled worker?
Old Feb 4th 2020, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Not sure if i need to start a new threat or not but does anyone know a ballpark removals cost to ship (pretty much everything) from guildford to melbourne? Im after a door to door service - may be a 20ft container.

Any removals company to recommend?
Old Feb 4th 2020, 3:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if i need to start a new threat or not but does anyone know a ballpark removals cost to ship (pretty much everything) from guildford to melbourne? Im after a door to door service - may be a 20ft container.

Any removals company to recommend?
Not the same locations but it will give you an idea - this is the quote we went with from Britannia Removals, Liverpool UK to Perth WA. It included a crew of 3 spending two days packing absolutely everything in our UK home. I found the UK side fantastic, the Perth side was a bit slap dash though.

To fully export pack goods as per list attached, using top quality packing materials, prepare a numbered inventory, load to a 20ft GP steel shipping container for sole use only, seal and ship to our agent's warehouse, customs clear, deliver to residence address Perth, Australia including unpacking to a flat surface and removal of excess packing material - £3,685.00

Marine Insurance : Superior Cover (All risks, no excess) - £1,537.00

Total £5,222.00

Old Feb 4th 2020, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. Thats really useful. I can live with £5k. Some others have quoted £10k!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.