Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salary for a hairdresser

Salary for a hairdresser

Old Jan 1st 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice
Default Salary for a hairdresser

Help please i am getting concerned.
My family & I (me, wife & 4 kids)are coming to the end of our visa application process and i am now panicing about the salary for a hairdresser. I have 16 years experience but i want to know how much on average a stylist earns. as I am the bread winner and my wife not able to work due to the kids will i be able to earn enough to support my family?
Also are there many salons that come on the market to buy often. i have been looking on seek at jobs but all do not give a salary.
I have also been looking at businesses to buy but as we are not there yet that seems a bit pointless.
I think we are wanting to go to the redcliffe area so if anyone can help me with this i would be really greatful.

We might not sell our house here in the uk before we arrive in Oz so i will have to find work asap, how little amounts of finance has you people who have emigrated taken with you
sorry it has been a long thread

Regards
Carl
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary for a hairdresser

My hairdresser is the owner of the business and he seems to be doing OK but the stylists werent on much. Here is a site that suggests median salaries http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/...alary/by_State Not sure that I could live on that. This site http://content.mycareer.com.au/salar...s/hairdressing has quite different figures which do look more promising. I suspect the reality is somewhere between the two.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
My hairdresser is the owner of the business and he seems to be doing OK but the stylists werent on much. Here is a site that suggests median salaries http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/...alary/by_State Not sure that I could live on that. This site http://content.mycareer.com.au/salar...s/hairdressing has quite different figures which do look more promising. I suspect the reality is somewhere between the two.
Thanks for that.
It is not as much as i thought it would be to say that hairdressers are in short demand

What part of Oz are you in?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Carl England
Thanks for that.
It is not as much as i thought it would be to say that hairdressers are in short demand

What part of Oz are you in?
Thats why they are in demand, no-one wants to work for low wages, when they can work in Coles for the same.

My wife is a Barber and workes casual and gets $22 an hour, which was better than what she earned in the UK
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:53 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Here in Adelaide youd be lucky to get $20 an hour, i know of a few who have really struggled and either doing something else, working for themselves or gone home . shame as aussie hairdressers are crap in comparison, and you should see some of the mullets
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:18 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
Thats why they are in demand, no-one wants to work for low wages, when they can work in Coles for the same.

My wife is a Barber and workes casual and gets $22 an hour, which was better than what she earned in the UK
What do you do to become a barber? Its something I have always thought about, but never really got any further.. When I google it, I just referred back to Womens hairdressing?

Would you OH know any useful websites for me to have a nose at?

Em x
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My friend rents a chair at a salon here in Adelaide, she pulls in at least $2k per week profit - mind she's damn good! She has been here a few years and has built up a very good and loyal client base though.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emelems
What do you do to become a barber? Its something I have always thought about, but never really got any further.. When I google it, I just referred back to Womens hairdressing?

Would you OH know any useful websites for me to have a nose at?

Em x
You just start cutting mens hair and do shaves etc.

My wife has done it for all her working life.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

My family & I (me, wife & 4 kids)are coming to the end of our visa application process and i am now panicing about the salary for a hairdresser. I have 16 years experience but i want to know how much on average a stylist earns. as I am the bread winner and my wife not able to work due to the kids will i be able to earn enough to support my family?
Also are there many salons that come on the market to buy often. i have been looking on seek at jobs but all do not give a salary.
I have also been looking at businesses to buy but as we are not there yet that seems a bit pointless.
I think we are wanting to go to the redcliffe area so if anyone can help me with this i would be really greatful.

We might not sell our house here in the uk before we arrive in Oz so i will have to find work asap, how little amounts of finance has you people who have emigrated taken with you

Regards
Carl
2 yrs ago I got $18 an hour casual, which would have dropped to about $16 if I'd gone for permanent part time.
In Margate,near Redcliffe, there was a salon for sale for $40k but i doubt you'd have touched it looking at the books,we wouldn't and it had been up for sale a looong time. There are salons for sale, especially franchises, the Hairhouse Warehouse group is always looking for franchisees but i don't know how you feel about franchises.
I'm guesssing it will be like UK and you will earn more in the city.There are always jobs advertised and vacancies going.I doubt you would be out of work long and a smaller wage is better than none ( I know thats easy to say but we're having to do that at the moment)while you get established and find out more re. areas or salons for sale etc.
Good luck,i'm sure you will be fine, i've never gone in a Westfield yet and not seen an advertisement for a hairdressing vacancy.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:27 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Carl
$22-24hr for casual less for permanant / full time, you also dont get tips here so have to rely on wages its not enough for me to live off (even as a 2nd wage) hence im now at uni having a change of career.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Babsw
2 yrs ago I got $18 an hour casual, which would have dropped to about $16 if I'd gone for permanent part time.
In Margate,near Redcliffe, there was a salon for sale for $40k but i doubt you'd have touched it looking at the books,we wouldn't and it had been up for sale a looong time. There are salons for sale, especially franchises, the Hairhouse Warehouse group is always looking for franchisees but i don't know how you feel about franchises.
I'm guesssing it will be like UK and you will earn more in the city.There are always jobs advertised and vacancies going.I doubt you would be out of work long and a smaller wage is better than none ( I know thats easy to say but we're having to do that at the moment)while you get established and find out more re. areas or salons for sale etc.
Good luck,i'm sure you will be fine, i've never gone in a Westfield yet and not seen an advertisement for a hairdressing vacancy.
Hello and thanks for that
I am not into franchaises and have always worked for myself, well most of the time and i have had more that one salon at any time. franchises just dont do it for me
Are you a hairdresser and are you in the redcliffe area?
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Hello and thanks for that
I am not into franchaises and have always worked for myself, well most of the time and i have had more that one salon at any time. franchises just dont do it for me
Are you a hairdresser and are you in the redcliffe area?
I was for 25 years,including having my own salon in the UK but not any longer. I briefly considered it when we moved to Brisbane as we decided to be open to all options but decided against returning to it,not because of the money but my heart just isn't in it any more.
i have to agree with you re. franchises but thought they might give you a quicker way to an income especially as you have no extra wage to fall back on while building up your own business but then with franchises you have to lay out so much as well......
Good luck with what ever you decide but I'm sure you'll get work and then could always begin freelance to earn extra?