Reload this Page >

Salary expectations - Engineer -Sydney

Salary expectations - Engineer -Sydney

Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:50 am
Just Joined

BigWave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary expectations - Engineer -Sydney

Hi,

I´m being offered a job in Sydney but not sure if I´m able to take it because of poor salary. I have 4 year of work experience in Electronics Engineering and also in Software Engineering and I´m being offered a 50k /year + super. My expectations where somewhere between 70-80k.

My question now is, if I´m being ripped off or is this normal starting salary in Sydney for Electronics Engineer? They told me that they are not able to pay more because there are so many willing to come from Asia with this salary. We live in europe and I´m really wondering if it´s worth to move to OZ when we would have to survive with 3500 Aud/ month after taxes.

Also I wonder if I´m able to survive with this salary. My wife does not have job yet and we do not have kids. Any advices on rent prices in Northern Sydney ( near North Ryde)?

Any thoughts appreciated,
P
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary expectations - Engineer -Sydney

Originally Posted by BigWave
Hi,

I´m being offered a job in Sydney but not sure if I´m able to take it because of poor salary. I have 4 year of work experience in Electronics Engineering and also in Software Engineering and I´m being offered a 50k /year + super. My expectations where somewhere between 70-80k.

My question now is, if I´m being ripped off or is this normal starting salary in Sydney for Electronics Engineer? They told me that they are not able to pay more because there are so many willing to come from Asia with this salary. We live in europe and I´m really wondering if it´s worth to move to OZ when we would have to survive with 3500 Aud/ month after taxes.

Also I wonder if I´m able to survive with this salary. My wife does not have job yet and we do not have kids. Any advices on rent prices in Northern Sydney ( near North Ryde)?

P
I think they are trying to pull a swifty....a general .NET analyst/programmer in a decent company in Sydney earns $85,000 typical salary + super.

See: http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs09...Technology.pdf
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Hi,

P

Just to get an idea, why do not you go through seek and check what salaries are engineers generally offered in Sydney.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think they are trying to pull a swifty....a general .NET analyst/programmer in a decent company in Sydney earns $85,000 typical salary + super.

See: http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs09...Technology.pdf
But he is not being offered a .Net A/P role. He is being offered a position as an Electronics Engineer and they don't earn as much as .Net A/P's.

I would say $50K might be about right for 4 years experience which in real terms isn't really a lot.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You would struggle to live in North Sydney on one salary of 50k. I've found the Hays salaries to be pretty accurate, BTW.

Take a look at www.domain.com.au for an idea of rental prices. We pay $620 a week for a tiny 2 bed/1 bath house, although admittedly our suburb is very popular and we are close to the harbour. You might pay less a bit closer to North Ryde but the North Shore is not cheap.

If you do a search you should find some Cost of Living threads; if you can't find them post again and I will find them for you.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for replies. TO be more precise about the job. It will mostly include post sales technical support to customers who are programming with graphical programming environment. Also support for embedded systems that can include measurements, data logging, analyzing and so on.. Also the job would include some graphical programming teaching for customers.

I still think that 50k not enough to survive in Sydney, hopefully I´m wrong. Do you know if there are any "minimum" salaries in Oz for engineers or salary recommendations from Australian Engineers for graduates? I guess at least 60k would make life much easier.

P
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for replies. TO be more precise about the job. It will mostly include post sales technical support to customers who are programming with graphical programming environment. Also support for embedded systems that can include measurements, data logging, analyzing and so on.. Also the job would include some graphical programming teaching for customers.

I still think that 50k not enough to survive in Sydney, hopefully I´m wrong. Do you know if there are any "minimum" salaries in Oz for engineers or salary recommendations from Australian Engineers for graduates? I guess at least 60k would make life much easier.

P
So the position is essentially a support role? If it is that is why they are paying $50K.

And, no, $50K is nowhere near enough to survive in Sydney.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Deancm
So the position is essentially a support role? If it is that is why they are paying $50K.

And, no, $50K is nowhere near enough to survive in Sydney.
I second that. 50K is not a very good salary specially when OP is moving to Sydney.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

P

They are tasking the piss - if you have B.Eng then 50k is laughable
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

I have B. Eng..

P
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Title for the job is Applications Engineer.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:37 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Electronics is always a lot less than just say Civil, Mechancial but yeah if oyu have the BEng 50k is a little low but honestly you probably wouldn't goo too much higher
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

maximmm99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just started my degree in Civil Engineering (as a mature student) and have researched wages and career opportunities for the different disciplines extensively - you should contact the industry body to find out more, especially in regard to getting your skills/qualifications recognised: www.engineersaustralia.org.au You will notice that there is a quick link on the left hand side of the home page that says Migration Skills Assessment - that's what you need.
Software, from what the info I am getting so far, should pay a LOT more than 50k plus super. Hell, I'm looking at $45k plus super as a newly qualified civil engineer straight out of Uni!