Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salaries question

Salaries question

Old Jan 19th 2022, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salaries question

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'm sure he was referring to the south coast of the UK. I should image many places have a south coast, but not sure I've heard of one when related to Australia as a whole - south coast NSW maybe.
Yes I did mean the South Coast of England. As I was replying to an English person, I didn't think to elaborate. But yes there is a South Cost in WA. I previously lived there. I entertained the idea of moving back but the drug problem is too overwhelming.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Err, last time looked, that's still in Australia

Australia is indeed expensive but living standards, in the real world for those having a crack, are improving all of the time. It's certainly got a lot better since I arrived in 2005. Admittedly, our Kung Flu overreaction has put a dent in things, but that will end soon enough and it will be onwards and upwards
Enjoy
Just a shame you missed the good days, which were well on the wane by the time you reached these shores in 2005. I'm struggling to think of a single thing that has improved since 2005. I'd hate to be an immigrant coming out over recent years. Outside of possibly people preparing to live in the sun, I can't think of a single reason that would warrant a move. I suppose some better money, but the inflated costs around housing and difficulty finding a rental make that very debatable. Then stressful work places for many, along with not having work permeance (in many cases) further add to questioning the validity of going to Australia. Probably more understandable for those coming from developing world, but any developed country probably not.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
What you spend is probably more important than what you earn. Moving from a low cost country to a high cost country often only seems to work out when you have a lot of equity in your home, otherwise the higher salary just doesn't seem to be worth it these days. I remember when people moved to Oz with nothing and ended up rich, though I'd say those days are gone (at least for now) and it seems to be the opposite now. I have no idea how it is in Scotland but at least the evenings are getting brighter and we've had plenty of sunshine the last few days. It was dark at around 5:40 in our part of Ireland yesterday but still an improvement to December, so I'd imagine similar for you. Seeing the sun is one thing but christmasoompa made some good points. Sometimes another location within your country or south-facing property can work wonders, maybe even moving closer to the ferry port will offer far more opportunities with the generous holidays you have. I can imagine Brexit is not great, then again in Oz you're not in the EU either and not free from problems.
I had a friend who listed nearly all the same reasons for a move as Christmasoompa did to her husband when offered a job transfer to a sunny mostly hot all year round part of America she listened to the advice similar to what is offered in this thread so they went….. fast forward they nearly split up they both ended up very stressed and unhappy they gave the USA enough time and eventually we’re able to return to a different part of the UK I once asked why they went and she told me she felt she was being a stick in the mud with all the “give it a go, what a chance, you mad to stay in the UK, if it were me” etc so really we really should listen to what we really enjoy to make us happy and it’s not always money (it helps of course) moving overseas (whatever country we may live) sometimes just making the slightest “tweaks” to our lives can be the answer.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I had a friend who listed nearly all the same reasons for a move as Christmasoompa did to her husband when offered a job transfer to a sunny mostly hot all year round part of America she listened to the advice similar to what is offered in this thread so they went….. fast forward they nearly split up they both ended up very stressed and unhappy they gave the USA enough time and eventually we’re able to return to a different part of the UK I once asked why they went and she told me she felt she was being a stick in the mud with all the “give it a go, what a chance, you mad to stay in the UK, if it were me” etc so really we really should listen to what we really enjoy to make us happy and it’s not always money (it helps of course) moving overseas (whatever country we may live) sometimes just making the slightest “tweaks” to our lives can be the answer.
On the flipside there many people who have made it by moving ro Australia and never move back to where they came from. Me for one. I have no desire to move back 11 years in on this stint. Life is great, especially now we are living with the virus.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 8:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retirednow
Read it again, slowly this time..
I stand by my opinion. People are free to post in any forum even if they have never left their little bedsit in Swindon.
Old Jan 25th 2022, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I stand by my opinion. People are free to post in any forum even if they have never left their little bedsit in Swindon.
Free to post in the Swindon bedsitter context, why not.

But posting as a "Super Moderator" in a specific country thread, with an inherent bias against the desirability of relocating to that country...? In a forum dedicated to expats...?

That's a bit more conflicted.

Last edited by abner; Jan 25th 2022 at 7:30 am.
Old Jan 25th 2022, 8:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner

But posting as a "Super Moderator" in a specific country thread, with an inherent bias against the desirability of relocating to that country...? In a forum dedicated to expats...?

Nope. Remember that first and foremost we are forum members, so entitled to share our opinions just the same as everybody else. Being a mod doesn't preclude one from posting as a member, it's not like it's a paid position (unless my pay check just got lost in the post……..).
Old Jan 25th 2022, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner

You get it. That ‘moderator’ and I use the term loosely, shouldn’t be anywhere near this form. An absolute plonker!

Last edited by Retirednow; Jan 25th 2022 at 11:07 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old Jan 26th 2022, 12:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

You get it. That ‘moderator’ and I use the term loosely, shouldn’t be anywhere near this form. An absolute plonker!
Members, incuding Moderators, can post where they choose - if they choose, not you!

And name calling is never a good look

Old Jan 26th 2022, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Members, incuding Moderators, can post where they choose - if they choose, not you!

And name calling is never a good look
They need to have some knowledge of the locale.
Old Jan 26th 2022, 12:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

They need to have some knowledge of the locale.
No they really don't.

But I would imagine that most people have some knowledge, not always in agreement with yours even in the same country.
Old Jan 26th 2022, 12:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

True, but who wants to live in Blighty…

Me !
Old Jan 26th 2022, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Me !
It’s all yours dearie…
Old Jan 26th 2022, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

No they really don't.

But I would imagine that most people have some knowledge, not always in agreement with yours even in the same country.
You’re entitled to your opinion..
Old Jan 26th 2022, 12:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It’s all yours dearie…
Ta ! But I couldn't live in all of it , pudgy though I may now be. So just a wee small piece would do. Eh Poll?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.