Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salaries question

Salaries question

Old Jan 16th 2022, 8:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salaries question

Originally Posted by Retirednow
I guess you have low standards but it is what it is..
Mmm. Interesting that you choose to try and belittle somebody for having a different opinion to you.

We could have moved to Oz but I genuinely can’t see a single thing living there would improve in my life, and I can think of several things that would be infinitely worse. You’re clearly the other way around but that’s all good, what suits one may not suit another.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_hepburn
Wow! That's by far the biggest figure I've seen for equivalent income/lifestyle levels. Most folk places say you need 10-15% more.

What in particular makes it 2.5 x ?

FTA our take home each month here is £6400 and using the Aus figures would be £6856.
You can try this site

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...city2=Adelaide

What you are trying to work out is by no means accurate but this site is a good guide.

I always work to a minimum of x2.

Exchange rate does not come into it. It's all about cost of living. Leave the detail price of milk and eggs alone. It will do your head in. Focus on the big picture items like rent.

If this employer is looking to hire from abroad it means they need you. Don't be afraid to put your concerns on the table. If they don't budge leave it, they aren't the employer for you.

Finally, costs are one part of moving, you need to want to try living in a new place. If that doesn't come with the required money up front, treat it as an experience and a stepping stone, but don't let money get in the way of an experience.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I can think of several things that would be infinitely worse. .
I am curious. Like what?
Old Jan 16th 2022, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I am curious. Like what?
Being so far from family & friends top of the list obvs. Would be a disastrous career move for my husband and I don’t think my business would work there, so wouldn’t be great for us financially. Weather (I hate hot weather, I spontaneously combust at about 27 degrees). Not being able to jump on a £30 flight or get the train to Europe. Right to roam. History. Architecture. Mountains (hate beaches, but ski several times a year - yes I know you can ski in Oz but it’s not the Alps!).

Just a few things that matter to me personally. Not important for others of course, but they are to me.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Being so far from family & friends top of the list obvs.
Fair enough. I maintain friendship in both places. If I can be as far away as possible from my inlaws, it works best.

Would be a disastrous career move for my husband and I don’t think my business would work there, so wouldn’t be great for us financially.
I guess it depends on what you do. Its certainly be financially beneficial for my wife and I in Australia. UK salaries just aren't there for what we do. Especially for my wife.

Weather (I hate hot weather, I spontaneously combust at about 27 degrees).
Not all of Australia is hot. Its a big place. Note the cricketers over the past few days. Middle of summer and they were wearing jumpers. For me, I would have to think long and hard about moving back to the UK and what 9 months of crap weather would do to the soul.

Not being able to jump on a £30 flight or get the train to Europe. Right to roam. History. Architecture. Mountains (hate beaches, but ski several times a year - yes I know you can ski in Oz but it’s not the Alps!).
Not into history myself, and ironically the right to roam generally took us to a beach weekend on the med or a ski weekend. You are right, Oz skiing is not the Alps. I used to do 2 or 3 weekends, and a week holiday in the Alps before kids. Not sure how that would work now. Still currently do the week long holiday in the Alps with families, but I reckon the weekend trips might be curtailed a bit. Looking at a week trip to Zermatt over Easter and visit a few in the UK - will do that from Oz, baring any further Covid over panick. Zermatt is high enough to accommodate Easter snow. Missed out on 2 trips to Thredbo here over the winter due to Covid over panicking which Australia was renowned for.

Just a few things that matter to me personally. Not important for others of course, but they are to me.
Fair enough
Old Jan 17th 2022, 12:47 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I'm increasingly arriving at that conclusion as well. Australia is somewhat past its sell by date. Way too expensive. Declining living standards. And lots more I could mention . I've been looking at property on the South Coast.
Originally Posted by Amazulu
Err, last time looked, that's still in Australia....
I'm sure he was referring to the south coast of the UK. I should image many places have a south coast, but not sure I've heard of one when related to Australia as a whole - south coast NSW maybe.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm. Interesting that you choose to try and belittle somebody for having a different opinion to you.

We could have moved to Oz but I genuinely can’t see a single thing living there would improve in my life, and I can think of several things that would be infinitely worse. You’re clearly the other way around but that’s all good, what suits one may not suit another.
How would you know if you haven’t lived here? Talk about a dumb comment..
Old Jan 17th 2022, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Being so far from family & friends top of the list obvs. Would be a disastrous career move for my husband and I don’t think my business would work there, so wouldn’t be great for us financially. Weather (I hate hot weather, I spontaneously combust at about 27 degrees). Not being able to jump on a £30 flight or get the train to Europe. Right to roam. History. Architecture. Mountains (hate beaches, but ski several times a year - yes I know you can ski in Oz but it’s not the Alps!).

The fact that you think it’s all hot confirms that you don’t have a clue about the topic at hand.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 3:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'm sure he was referring to the south coast of the UK. I should image many places have a south coast, but not sure I've heard of one when related to Australia as a whole - south coast NSW maybe.
Fair enough. I thought that he was referring to the South Coast of WA - Augusta to Esperance. I can't imagine that the South Coast of England would be any cheaper but anyhoo
Old Jan 17th 2022, 10:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Fair enough. I maintain friendship in both places. If I can be as far away as possible from my inlaws, it works best.
My worry would be my mother-in-law would then want to come out for a month or so at a time, and frankly that would be far worse than seeing her for a cuppa once a week.

I guess it depends on what you do. Its certainly be financially beneficial for my wife and I in Australia. UK salaries just aren't there for what we do. Especially for my wife.
Other way round for us, every job offer hubby has had in Oz has been half his UK salary.

Not all of Australia is hot. Its a big place. Note the cricketers over the past few days. Middle of summer and they were wearing jumpers. For me, I would have to think long and hard about moving back to the UK and what 9 months of crap weather would do to the soul.
That '9 months of crap weather' for you is '9 months of great weather' for me. I know all of Oz isn't hot, but the vast majority of it would be too hot for me at least some of the year and I don't fancy living somewhere as isolated as Tasmania. I don't even particularly like summer in the UK, I'm happiest in the rain and cold. Which is why I say different strokes for different folks, thank goodness we all like different things or life would be incredibly dull.

Not into history myself
I'm a history buff, my degree is in History & French, love a mooch around a historic town or a bit of time in a 1000 year old church. So the UK works well for me. I think when we lived just outside Toronto & Vancouver my soul died a little with all of the strip malls and concrete jungle. Boston is our next move, but at least that has some history and beautiful architecture.

I used to do 2 or 3 weekends, and a week holiday in the Alps before kids. Not sure how that would work now. Still currently do the week long holiday in the Alps with families, but I reckon the weekend trips might be curtailed a bit. Looking at a week trip to Zermatt over Easter and visit a few in the UK - will do that from Oz, baring any further Covid over panick. Zermatt is high enough to accommodate Easter snow.
Zermatt should be great, we're (hopefully) off to Italy in a few weeks, which will be the first time we've made it to the ski slopes in nearly 2 years. So missed it! Have fun, hope you do get to go.

How would you know if you haven’t lived here? Talk about a dumb comment..
Gosh, you're a charming chap aren't you?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 17th 2022 at 11:08 am.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_hepburn
We live in Scotland and earn around £130k gross PA. Cost of living is less here but the weather is depressing as hell and with Brexit and the likelihood of the UK breaking up I can see things getting worse here before they get better.

We're thinking that relatively speaking we would possibly be slightly worse off taking into account cost of living etc. But there's a lot to be said for being somewhere where you actually get to see the sun more than a couple of days a month.
What you spend is probably more important than what you earn. Moving from a low cost country to a high cost country often only seems to work out when you have a lot of equity in your home, otherwise the higher salary just doesn't seem to be worth it these days. I remember when people moved to Oz with nothing and ended up rich, though I'd say those days are gone (at least for now) and it seems to be the opposite now. I have no idea how it is in Scotland but at least the evenings are getting brighter and we've had plenty of sunshine the last few days. It was dark at around 5:40 in our part of Ireland yesterday but still an improvement to December, so I'd imagine similar for you. Seeing the sun is one thing but christmasoompa made some good points. Sometimes another location within your country or south-facing property can work wonders, maybe even moving closer to the ferry port will offer far more opportunities with the generous holidays you have. I can imagine Brexit is not great, then again in Oz you're not in the EU either and not free from problems.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

You can try this site

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...city2=Adelaide

What you are trying to work out is by no means accurate but this site is a good guide.

I always work to a minimum of x2.

Exchange rate does not come into it. It's all about cost of living. Leave the detail price of milk and eggs alone. It will do your head in. Focus on the big picture items like rent.

If this employer is looking to hire from abroad it means they need you. Don't be afraid to put your concerns on the table. If they don't budge leave it, they aren't the employer for you.

Finally, costs are one part of moving, you need to want to try living in a new place. If that doesn't come with the required money up front, treat it as an experience and a stepping stone, but don't let money get in the way of an experience.
That's really helpful, thank you.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

My worry would be my mother-in-law would then want to come out for a month or so at a time, and frankly that would be far worse than seeing her for a cuppa once a week.

Other way round for us, every job offer hubby has had in Oz has been half his UK salary.

That '9 months of crap weather' for you is '9 months of great weather' for me. I know all of Oz isn't hot, but the vast majority of it would be too hot for me at least some of the year and I don't fancy living somewhere as isolated as Tasmania. I don't even particularly like summer in the UK, I'm happiest in the rain and cold. Which is why I say different strokes for different folks, thank goodness we all like different things or life would be incredibly dull.

I'm a history buff, my degree is in History & French, love a mooch around a historic town or a bit of time in a 1000 year old church. So the UK works well for me. I think when we lived just outside Toronto & Vancouver my soul died a little with all of the strip malls and concrete jungle. Boston is our next move, but at least that has some history and beautiful architecture.

Zermatt should be great, we're (hopefully) off to Italy in a few weeks, which will be the first time we've made it to the ski slopes in nearly 2 years. So missed it! Have fun, hope you do get to go.

Gosh, you're a charming chap aren't you?
At least you got one thing right. And if you haven’t been here what exactly are you doing on this forum?
Old Jan 18th 2022, 7:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

At least you got one thing right. And if you haven’t been here what exactly are you doing on this forum?
Can you point me to the rule that says you can't post in a forum unless you have lived in that country? I must've missed that one.......
Old Jan 18th 2022, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can you point me to the rule that says you can't post in a forum unless you have lived in that country? I must've missed that one.......
Read it again, slowly this time..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.