View Poll Results: How is your salary compared to UK equivalent?
Less than 50 % of what I was on in UK
25.00%
Less than 25 % of what I was on in UK
10.00%
about the same as what I was on in UK
45.00%
more than 25% % of what I was on in UK
5.00%
more than 50% of what I was on in UK
15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Salaries in OZ

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

The Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of light
Default Salaries in OZ

I've just had a conversation with a friend of mine back in the UK and as a result thought I should post this information.

We were talking about her latest pay rise and subsequently found out that although we were on the same salary when I left UK 4 years ago, I am now on more than 50% more than she is.

To say I was shocked by this is an understatement !!!!!

I have seen quite a few threads on here over the time I have been a member and almost without exception they have been saying that salaries in OZ are less than those back home.

I was on 38000 GBP when I left and on arriving in Australia, my first job was the equivalent of 21138GBP. I have now moved on twice since then and am now on the equivalent of 67479GPB whereas my friend is now on 43100GBP.

Has anybody else experienced the same thing or have I just been very very lucky?????
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:55 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salaries in OZ

Originally Posted by The Old Trout
I've just had a conversation with a friend of mine back in the UK and as a result thought I should post this information.

We were talking about her latest pay rise and subsequently found out that although we were on the same salary when I left UK 4 years ago, I am now on more than 50% more than she is.

To say I was shocked by this is an understatement !!!!!

I have seen quite a few threads on here over the time I have been a member and almost without exception they have been saying that salaries in OZ are less than those back home.

I was on 38000 GBP when I left and on arriving in Australia, my first job was the equivalent of 21138GBP. I have now moved on twice since then and am now on the equivalent of 67479GPB whereas my friend is now on 43100GBP.

Has anybody else experienced the same thing or have I just been very very lucky?????

Depends on vocation and within that your personal experience and skill set.

You may also find your colleague in the UK may have taken a position for personal fulfilment rather than monetary gain. Also do your above figures include or exclude the 9% super contributions?

You may also find that rather than judging yourself against people in a completely different market you should benchmark against those in the same local market as yourself.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

The Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Salaries in OZ

[QUOTE=thebears]....
You may also find your colleague in the UK may have taken a position for personal fulfilment rather than monetary gain. Also do your above figures include or exclude the 9% super contributions?

QUOTE]

She is still doing the same job as we were when I left, which I would also be doing if I hadnt left. It was job I really enjoyed & I wouldnt have left it if I wasnt moving to OZ, so I think its a fair comparison, as I am now doing a similar job here in OZ.

The figures I gave include the 9% super, cos the UK figure I gave includes the NI contribution + pension contribution, so again a fair comparison I think.