salaries in OZ

Old May 24th 2004, 8:55 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default salaries in OZ

Hey all i am back online now and can post

We are moving to Oz this September and being a teacher i was wondering about wages for teachers and mechanics.

What can we expect to earn compared to here.

Both my husband and I are on over 20 grand here and were just wondering how it all compared.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks all
Old May 25th 2004, 12:43 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: salaries in OZ

Try out this one for general guidlines

https://www.payscale.com/login.asp?m...eport%2Easp%3F
Old May 25th 2004, 12:57 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: salaries in OZ

Originally posted by katyjoy
Hey all i am back online now and can post

We are moving to Oz this September and being a teacher i was wondering about wages for teachers and mechanics.

What can we expect to earn compared to here.

Both my husband and I are on over 20 grand here and were just wondering how it all compared.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks all
Hi Katyjoy,

I am a graduate teacher and though I am doing supply at the moment, the salary (at least for goverment schools) seems to be about the same as a starting wage ($42k) It's proably slightly less at the moment actually because of the exchange rate etc but the low cost of living here generally cancels it out.

I'm not sure about private schools and I imagine the pay is somewhat experience related to it's quite individual. No idea about your hubby sorry but generally speaking, most jobs attract slightly lower wages but with the cost of living so favourable compared to the UK, it evens itself out and I thin kmost people find themselves about the same if not slightly better off.

My hubby has just got a contract job and is actually making more than he did in the UK which we never expected to happen! (insert very happy bunny smiley)
Old May 25th 2004, 1:34 am
Just Joined

mangobuster is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out the infor for teachers award wages and conditions on the NSW gov website .

The full list of NSW awards is on this page

Award wages are basically the minimum wage available for each job, and also cover other terms and conditions. You would probably be paid "above award" rates if lucky, but try to make sure that any increase in the award rate is reflected in your own pay
Old May 28th 2004, 2:50 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know exacty why but it goes further in Oz (money) Don't stress about it. you will make ends meet if necessary. You will cope. You are moving for a better life - one where the car is not the most important thing in your life and who's got the best house (i hope)....
Old May 28th 2004, 4:26 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mumomonty
I don't know exacty why but it goes further in Oz (money)
Well that depends on your circumstances and your spending habits. To pluck an example from the ether, why is cheese the same price but butter half the price? Tax is much higher for high earners but public transport is much cheaper... the list is endless. I wouldn't care to generalise about whether Oz is cheaper or more expensive, but as mumomonty says, that's not really the point. You're not emigrating 'cos it's cheaper (I hope), you're emigrating 'cos it looks (more) like where you want to be. Look at it this way: Aussies seem to survive on Aussie wages, so we should be able to too!
Old May 29th 2004, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Unless you get the unexpected $9000 dental bills im not holding grudges honest im moving on we will survive and get through this But we do manage here better than we did at home which makes life a lot easier and then you are happier, till you get the odd unexpected bill
Joanne
Old May 29th 2004, 10:45 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jopaulss
Unless you get the unexpected $9000 dental bills im not holding grudges honest im moving on we will survive and get through this But we do manage here better than we did at home which makes life a lot easier and then you are happier, till you get the odd unexpected bill
Joanne
what on earth did you have done?

Never had a bill over £40 in the UK (then again all my teeth are ok) - Just interested.

Bye
Mark
Old May 29th 2004, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Not me mark the 14 yr old son. 5 teeth out, 7 restorations etc etc and then braces being fitted soon total over $9000. Its all private here and we have no insurances either, but they wouldnt cover it all anyway, but anything i suppose is better than nothing isnt it. To go on the NHS type list he would have had to waited 18 months just for an anethatist, he was in pain so had to get it done fast. They were great i have to say no problem great clinic and well worth the money. Also son is doing grand.
Joanne