Salaries in NZ

Old Apr 18th 2003, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

valleygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salaries in NZ

So to all you people out there who have lived or who still live in NZ, how much is considered to be a nice salary?? You know to pay for the necessaties and still have some left to do the social thingie!!!!

If anyone can help please let me know.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help? This would be really interesting to know.

Gill
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
Can anyone help? This would be really interesting to know.

Gill
Can't really help that much, not there yet either, but the following link is useful - www.careers.co.nz/jop.htm - It lists virtually every job you can think of and, (if I remember correctly), if you select 'full printout' it tells you the average salary for the job plus other statistics. I guess from that you can get an idea of what's considered a decent salary.

Gra...
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

This is like asking how long is a peice of string.

But here goes.

I seem to remember the average salary for the whole of NZ is about $26,000, Auckland which is the most expensive city is about $30,000.

I'd say a couple could live comfortable on $50,000 before tax in Auckland and about 25% less in Christchurch. This wouldn't give you many expensive holidays to Europe but would give a very good lifestyle in NZ with say a 2 week holiday in Oz, Fiji, etc each year.

Living in Auckand you are going to get a 6 month summer from Nov through to about Easter when you can enjoy the NZ outdoors by having week ends away for less than $100 /per night for accomodation in 3* or 4* hotels, in Bay of Islands, Coromandel Peninsula, Taupo, etc.

Cars are cheap in NZ, because the gov dosn't tax imports, because it has no car industry to protect and so lots of 2nd hand Japanees imports are around which keeps the cost of all 2nd hand cars down. You can buy a 2nd hand car a couple of years old for between $10,000-20,000 and the higher end will get you a 4 wheel drive.

Also phone lines might seem expensive at $40 per month, but that includes unlimited local calls to your area (if you live in Auckland all Auckland local calls are free).

This is just a taste of what you will experience, the majority of it good.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
This is like asking how long is a peice of string.

I'd say a couple could live comfortable on $50,000 before tax in Auckland and about 25% less in Christchurch. This wouldn't give you many expensive holidays to Europe but would give a very good lifestyle in NZ with say a 2 week holiday in Oz, Fiji, etc each year.

Living in Auckand you are going to get a 6 month summer from Nov through to about Easter when you can enjoy the NZ outdoors by having week ends away for less than $100 /per night for accomodation in 3* or 4* hotels, in Bay of Islands, Coromandel Peninsula, Taupo, etc.

Cars are cheap in NZ, because the gov dosn't tax imports, because it has no car industry to protect and so lots of 2nd hand Japanees imports are around which keeps the cost of all 2nd hand cars down. You can buy a 2nd hand car a couple of years old for between $10,000-20,000 and the higher end will get you a 4 wheel drive.

Also phone lines might seem expensive at $40 per month, but that includes unlimited local calls to your area (if you live in Auckland all Auckland local calls are free).

This is just a taste of what you will experience, the majority of it good.
In your opinion is the cost of living in NZ cheaper than Australia?

Regards
Nina
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by NinaU
In your opinion is the cost of living in NZ cheaper than Australia?

Regards
Nina
Cost of living is cheaper in NZ but then again, salaries are lower.

But it also depends on where in Oz you go, Sydney and Melbourne costs a lot more than Brisbane or Perth. Go live in one of the smaller towns and it's cheaper still.

I'd say the standard of living in Auckand is comparable to that of Brisbane, but Brisbane has a better climate ie no winter at all compared to UK.

Also Australia is a richer country than NZ, and that is obvious from the facilities (sports, infrasture, transport, roads, etc). It's also more Americanised, whereas NZ has a more English feel to it. Christchurch is the most English city outside of England in my Humble opinion, it even has English type weather.