Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salaries and cost of living

Salaries and cost of living

Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

christilouise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salaries and cost of living

We are contemplating making the move down under. My boyfriend works as an IT systems manager. Does anyone know what the average wage is, it appears to be around $50000 could we live comfotably on this. What kind of price would we be looking at for an apartment in the Sydney area (rental and sales) I work for the government in the UK and not sure what type of job I could apply for so at the moment its all based on his salary.

Any info would be appreciated
Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:55 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Salaries and cost of living

Look at the sticky threads near the top of the page (the ones in green).

Welcome to BE btw
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

What actually is a systems manager? A network/server administrator in Melbourne could expect to earn $100,000 + and in Sydney I suspect it would be more.

Buzzy
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

That sounds very low for a Sydney IT salary so you might be in for a pleasant surprise. We found salaries to be roughly 1/3 less than London (City) for senior roles, but quite a few people we know are on the same salary as they were in the UK outside of London. Housing is comparable to SE England (which is a bit of a bummer of the lower salary!) but train fares/petrol/food costs less. Quality of life in Sydney (in my opinion) is vastly superior
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christilouise
We are contemplating making the move down under. My boyfriend works as an IT systems manager. Does anyone know what the average wage is, it appears to be around $50000 could we live comfotably on this. What kind of price would we be looking at for an apartment in the Sydney area (rental and sales) I work for the government in the UK and not sure what type of job I could apply for so at the moment its all based on his salary.

IT grads fresh out of uni would be looking for $50k these days so there's no way an 'IT systems manager' would be on that - not in any capital city. I'd expect $100k to be closer to the mark.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

You may have already done so, but worth check out some employment sites to get an idea:

www.seek.com.au
www.careerone.com.au
www.mycareer.com.au

My OH is in IT (Bris) and he reckons about $100k in Sydney, depends on the company.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

$50k definitely sounds to low. Check out the latest Hayes salary survey at http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs07...Technology.pdf for IT jobs
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spottydog
$50k definitely sounds to low. Check out the latest Hayes salary survey at http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs07...Technology.pdf for IT jobs
As suggested, the Hay's survey does seem on the ball.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

christilouise is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Salaries and cost of living

Many thanks for all your responses. I thought 50K was quite low. The problem with the agencies in OZ is that they do not reply when you email them regarding jobs. Is it best to wait till you arrive to start looking for work. BTW applying for a skilled 175 visa

cheers
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:56 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

For apartments have a look at domain.com.au which has quite extensive listings for rentals and property to buy.

Welcome to BE!

Thérèse
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all your responses. I thought 50K was quite low. The problem with the agencies in OZ is that they do not reply when you email them regarding jobs. Is it best to wait till you arrive to start looking for work. BTW applying for a skilled 175 visa

cheers
You might be easier to get a job and ask them to sponser you then go through the 457 visa
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
Don't email them. Ring them. Or email them and follow up within 24 hours with a phone call.

Buzzy