British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/salaries-australia-comparision-uk-339398/)

woodyinoz Nov 28th 2005 12:40 am

Re: Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Ditto your husband. A 5 min commute outside London for GBP60k is also lucky!

You don't realise what you have till it's gone ;)

Lets hope that it may happen again for us... somewhere :rolleyes:

MrsDagboy Nov 28th 2005 1:09 am

Originally Posted by brisnick
funnilly enough, i lose money by paying into an aussie super fund.

for example (made up figures for now, i can't remember) i put in $10,000 last year, and the balance at the end of the year was $9,000. doesn't really seem fair does it.

at least my private pension in the uk used to make me money, not lose it!!

Geez Nick, I would be looking at changing your super fund!!!! :scared: :eek:

I know a while back they weren't doing so well, but for the last 4 years at least that I know of they have done not so bad.

The super surcharge & the tax takes a fair wack out of it, but Dagboys is still making money.

ozzieeagle Nov 28th 2005 1:36 am

funnilly enough, i lose money by paying into an aussie super fund.

for example (made up figures for now, i can't remember) i put in $10,000 last year, and the balance at the end of the year was $9,000. doesn't really seem fair does it.

at least my private pension in the uk used to make me money, not lose it!!

The Aussie post Super which also carries a employer benefit of 9pct is guaranteed, by the government to bring a positive return each year.

The Nurses Super, also has a employer contribution of 9pct, although "Hesta" not guranteed by the Government as it is non Federal. Even through the worst times of the ups and downs of the share market also managed to bring in positive returns each year. Currently my wifes Hesta super is outperforming the Aussie post one, as times in the share market are good again.

My private Superannuation, Lump sum component, Earned whilst at the Gas and Fuel with and now with in the slightly erratic hands of Bankers Trust did bring in a negative return. Although now times in the Sharemarket are good again, is bringing in slightly better returns than the above ones. As is the wifes carried over Super from earlier employees. The reason I havn't changed my Bankers trust one into the Aussie post one is withdrawa/handlingl fees, and also it apparently is not a good thing to have all ones eggs in the same basket.

brisnick Nov 28th 2005 2:16 am

i made a positive return, but taxes, management fees, etc ate away the positive return :(

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The Aussie post Super which also carries a employer benefit of 9pct is guaranteed, by the government to bring a positive return each year.

Rabc Nov 28th 2005 8:15 am

i made a positive return, but taxes, management fees, etc ate away the positive return :(

I left my UK Local Government Supernnuation in the UK. It's 23 yrs worth and comes to quite a bit. One of the reasons for doing that is that the LG pension here is better and grows quick. I pay 7% and my employer matches it $ for $ so it grows by 14% of my weekly salary every week. Much better (in relative terms) than the UK Local Super

Auspom Nov 28th 2005 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

Salaries in Australia, are quite lower than what people earn in UK?People get London allowance if they are working in London but in Australia there is nothing like Sydney Allowance even if they are working in Sydney?

Usually in UK people earn around GBP3500 per month(after taxes) but in Australia(Sydney) the same person may earn AUD$2100 per month (after taxes). If u are planning to move to Australia then u have to compromise over the salary and allowances?Please comment

Thanks,

First thing first,What job where u doin for that money it's £875 pr week so if u did a 40hr week that means u what b getting £22pr hour right?
When u say after taxes is that just your wage tax or all your living taxes as well(rent bills ect)
In my line of work in Aus i can do say average 130hours every two weeks and i would take home $1500? after tax,so $3000? per month, my hourly rate is $16(this sum is for 130x$16=$2080 every two weeks b 4 tax or $4160 per mth b 4 tax)
Now in england doing the same job i was on £7pr but waswasn'ting the same hours, if u do the same hours from Aus on 130x£7=£910 every two weeks b 4 tax x2=£1800 per month b 4 tax.
If u take £1800 x2.2(exchange rate)=$3960 per mth Aussie b 4 tax.
If u understood all that your doing well cause i lost myself somewhere in all the numbers(so it could b wrong Sorry).
Now on these calulations and the price of living,What salary is better for the standard of living u get.
Let me know

touchingcloth Nov 28th 2005 3:08 pm

Mate...if I ever figure out your grammar and english....I'll let you know about your sums.

or is you in an urry to catch a bus or sumfink?

;)

Originally Posted by Auspom
First thing first,What job where u doin for that money it's £875 pr week so if u did a 40hr week that means u what b getting £22pr hour right?
When u say after taxes is that just your wage tax or all your living taxes as well(rent bills ect)
In my line of work in Aus i can do say average 130hours every two weeks and i would take home $1500? after tax,so $3000? per month, my hourly rate is $16(this sum is for 130x$16=$2080 every two weeks b 4 tax or $4160 per mth b 4 tax)
Now in england doing the same job i was on £7pr but waswasn'ting the same hours, if u do the same hours from Aus on 130x£7=£910 every two weeks b 4 tax x2=£1800 per month b 4 tax.
If u take £1800 x2.2(exchange rate)=$3960 per mth Aussie b 4 tax.
If u understood all that your doing well cause i lost myself somewhere in all the numbers(so it could b wrong Sorry).
Now on these calulations and the price of living,What salary is better for the standard of living u get.
Let me know

Auspom Nov 28th 2005 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Mate...if I ever figure out your grammar and english....I'll let you know about your sums.

or is you in an urry to catch a bus or sumfink?

;)

Nice to meet u 2,
Sorry but we all cant be a smart as u Pal,but i'll keep doind the best i can if that's alright with u.

touchingcloth Nov 28th 2005 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Auspom
Nice to meet u 2,
Sorry but we all cant be a smart as u Pal,but i'll keep doind the best i can if that's alright with u.

see....you've improved already....glad to have been of help. :)

ugez009sumi Nov 28th 2005 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
A PhD qualified lecturer/researcher with some experience here in Sydney earns from about $65-77, Senior Lecturer $79-91, Assoc. Prof. $94-104 and Professor $121. Compared with the UK generally these are all low. Compared with the US they are very low. And yet the Universities are not nearly as good as either the UK or US, and teaching is harder because of the number of international students with low English ability.

But the good news is that the Sydney allowance is, wait for it, $3000...

Academic jobs in UK are similar to Aus I think. I did Phd in UK and Postdoc in US private University. I decided not to take an academic career but I have friends who are full time academics in US, Aus and UK. US is better than UK, but UK ans Aus seem similar form what they tell me. Just my undersatnding.

charlie brown Nov 28th 2005 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by mercador
It depends what you do. If you're senior management or have some hot skill set I'd say yes. For normal operations or development jobs I'd say 1000ukp = 1500 Aus$ is very optimistic... in my experience.

Only a few managers in our Australian IT organization make more than $60k, but I've got plenty of people in the UK on more than 40k ukp. 1000ukp = 1200 Aus$ would seem like more realistic estimate. But this is only my experience in my company and your mileage may vary...

i'M NOT GOING TO WORK IN YOUR COMPANY!