Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK

Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK

Old Nov 25th 2005, 11:45 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all
Default Re: Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

Salaries in Australia, are quite lower than what people earn in UK?People get London allowance if they are working in London but in Australia there is nothing like Sydney Allowance even if they are working in Sydney?

Usually in UK people earn around GBP3500 per month(after taxes) but in Australia(Sydney) the same person may earn AUD$2100 per month (after taxes). If u are planning to move to Australia then u have to compromise over the salary and allowances?Please comment

Thanks,
All this Guestimation-the bottom line is that Oz has a higher Per Capita GDP than the UK-and then consider costs-(Aus per Capita GDP-3$38000, UK-£12000(I wonder whos better off??)
The truth is their are loads of 60-100 000K mid-range jobs in Syd or Melbourne-and certainly not just for the "elite".
There are a number of industries that pay better in Oz
1 Sales
2 Clerical work
Old Nov 25th 2005, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

BSherlock will become famous soon enoughBSherlock will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
And If your rec agency told you that they could get you a job offering $40k...would u register with them?

I spent years believing rec agencies. Now I treat them with real scepticism.

TC

Fair Enough! Good Point

But the very same agency that set my expectations, is one of the companies I have an interview with? Anyway I guess I'll soon find out?

Cheers
Old Nov 25th 2005, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BSherlock
Fair Enough! Good Point

But the very same agency that set my expectations, is one of the companies I have an interview with? Anyway I guess I'll soon find out?

Cheers
Just be careful.

Interviews for jobs are great
Interviews with Recruitment agencies are a waste of time.
It jsut another way for them to get people on their books

TC
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:33 pm
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Comer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I work in IT in London and am planning to move to Melbourne.

I have compared my basic salary here now to what the salary surveys say I should earn in Oz. It seems that my ozzie salary is calculated as follows -

Salary in pounds x 1.5 = salary in AU$.

What I mean is, for every £10,000 I earn here I expect to earn AU$15,000 in Oz.

Would anyone like to comment on this estimate?

Cheers

Buzzy
I'm hoping this is about right. I currently earn £49k in IT in London (admittedly for an investment bank) and start my new job in Dec for a Sydney based investment bank but the salary is $73k. I'm hoping that this amount will be enough and will not be a shock for me.

Last edited by Comer; Nov 25th 2005 at 1:18 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:26 am
ABCDiamond

February 16, 2005
UK average Wage £22,411
UK Capital City Average wage £30,984
Source: The Guardian UK - http://money.guardian.co.uk/pay/stor...415864,00.html

November 17, 2005
Australian average wage $53,000 a year
Australian Capital City average wage almost $62,000
Source: Channel 9 - http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=71971

National average converts at 2.36
Capital City average converts at 2.00

Wages vary tremendously.

Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:54 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

Salaries in Australia, are quite lower than what people earn in UK?People get London allowance if they are working in London but in Australia there is nothing like Sydney Allowance even if they are working in Sydney?

Usually in UK people earn around GBP3500 per month(after taxes) but in Australia(Sydney) the same person may earn AUD$2100 per month (after taxes). If u are planning to move to Australia then u have to compromise over the salary and allowances?Please comment

Thanks,

Sydney does have an allowance of an extra 10% on all others just for being in Sydney.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 2:00 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
February 16, 2005
UK average Wage £22,411
UK Capital City Average wage £30,984
Source: The Guardian UK - http://money.guardian.co.uk/pay/stor...415864,00.html

November 17, 2005
Australian average wage $53,000 a year
Australian Capital City average wage almost $62,000
Source: Channel 9 - http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=71971

National average converts at 2.36
Capital City average converts at 2.00

Wages vary tremendously.

So therefore on these figures that OZ and UK average wages are pretty much the same. (depends on the exchange rate of the day to which is more or less)
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK

My experience, FWIW...

I had a government job back home in Australia. I worked 25 hours a week, and was paid fortnightly. After two years in that job, I bought a fully-refurbished 1944 2-bedroom California bunglow on a quarter-acre block in one of the northern Perth suburbs (Western Australia) for the equivalent of £40,0000.

I have found that a similar property in my area of Britain would cost around £250,000-£280,000 which is utterly ridiculous.

I came to the UK in January 2004, having sold my house for a 40% profit and purchased an investment property to keep me in the Australian real estate market; that property has now doubled in value, and is paying for itself quite nicely.

It has taken me nearly two years to find a private sector job which pays as much as I earned back home, but for that salary I have to work 40 hours a week and am paid monthly, which is very inconvenient.

I could not possibly buy a house of any description on my UK salary - so it's just as well that my wife already had her own house when I met her - nor can I afford the same standard of living that I enjoyed back home in Australia.

UK pensions aren't worth the paper they're written on; I can't wait to return down under and start topping up my Aussie superannuation fund.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

UK pensions aren't worth the paper they're written on; I can't wait to return down under and start topping up my Aussie superannuation fund.
Don't generalise.

My pension is worth a lot.

And I started getting it age 55

G
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:48 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't generalise.

My pension is worth a lot.

And I started getting it age 55

G
I apologise for generalising.

It's just that I couldn't help but notice Britan's current pension crisis.

Not to mention the NHS crisis.

And the Railtrack/Network Rail crisis.

Never mind. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

Somehow.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I apologise for generalising.

Or the the ongoing NHS crisis.

Not to mention the ongoing Railtrack/Network Rail crisis.

Never mind. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

Somehow.
Most state pensions are in decline. G is lucky to have come from a generation where a state pension probably counted for something.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:51 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Most state pensions are in decline. G is lucky to have come from a generation where a state pension probably counted for something.
That will explain it, then.

Thanks.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Or the the ongoing NHS crisis.

Not to mention the ongoing Railtrack/Network Rail crisis.
You certainly have a sharp eye for things to complain about in the Uk don't you?

Is that because you are Australian and moaning comes naturally to you?

G
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:53 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Mine is an occupational pension (won't get the state one for another 10 years).

G
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:54 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience, FWIW...

I had a government job back home in Australia. I worked 25 hours a week, and was paid fortnightly.
I want your job in Oz. Just PM me the details and I'll apply right away, I'm sick of of this 36.25 hours a week bollox

Last edited by A dogs life; Nov 26th 2005 at 8:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.