British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/salaries-australia-comparision-uk-339398/)

smurtaza Nov 25th 2005 1:59 am

Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK

Hi,

Salaries in Australia, are quite lower than what people earn in UK?People get London allowance if they are working in London but in Australia there is nothing like Sydney Allowance even if they are working in Sydney?

Usually in UK people earn around GBP3500 per month(after taxes) but in Australia(Sydney) the same person may earn AUD$2100 per month (after taxes). If u are planning to move to Australia then u have to compromise over the salary and allowances?Please comment

Thanks,

diddy Nov 25th 2005 2:03 am

Re: Salaries in Australia / Comparision With UK

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

Salaries in Australia, are quite lower than what people earn in UK?People get London allowance if they are working in London but in Australia there is nothing like Sydney Allowance even if they are working in Sydney?

Usually in UK people earn around GBP3500 per month(after taxes) but in Australia(Sydney) the same person may earn AUD$2100 per month (after taxes). If u are planning to move to Australia then u have to compromise over the salary and allowances?Please comment

Thanks,

Can you check your numbers and denominations. Plus, by usually do you mean average?

smurtaza Nov 25th 2005 2:06 am

Originally Posted by diddy
Can you check your numbers and denominations. Plus, by usually do you mean average?

Usually means average person living in London (with London allowance).

Hels Nov 25th 2005 2:08 am

Hi,

Thanks,

In my experience, 4 yrs in London working in Recruitment, a fairly small percentage of people ever took home GBP3500 per month(after taxes)!! Not sure where you get your figures from....but in real terms I would love to know the REAL percentage of those that ever took home that kind of money.

My Hubby as a mechanic never even came close, friends of mine who work for the NHS as an Accountant never came close to that kind of money. Another friend who was a Auto Spray painter never took home that kind of money. My FIL was a Sargent in the Police Force and he never took home that kind of money. Pretty good cross section of people all living and working in and around London. No one I know ever took home that kind of money.

As for the $2100 in Australia. I work for a Student Association as an Employment Officer. I take that home and I have no formal Qualifications. I dare say that figure you quoted is quite a bit lower than what the majority take home.

I am pretty sure I know the reactions you were after by posting your OP. But you aint gonna get it from me.... :rolleyes:

diddy Nov 25th 2005 2:11 am

Gotta agree with Hels. The figures you came up with are way out.

Paul.

smurtaza Nov 25th 2005 2:12 am

Originally Posted by diddy
Gotta agree with Hels. The figures you came up with are way out.

Paul.

Forget about the figures, there are no allowances on salaries like London allowances even if u are working in Sydney.

brisnick Nov 25th 2005 2:27 am

maybe not officially, but i would expect between $20-30K more for doing the same job in sydney that i currently do in brisbane.

back to the figures again, i would be surprised if the average wage in london is £50,000, and equally surprised to find the average wage in sydney was only $36,000!!

Forget about the figures, there are no allowances on salaries like London allowances even if u are working in Sydney.

MartinLuther Nov 25th 2005 2:56 am

With the current PAYE rates, someone taking home £3,500 would have to be earning at least £63,000 a year (unless they were putting large amounts into their pension - in which case they would not really be taking home £3,500).

mercador Nov 25th 2005 3:01 am

I've done alot of IT recruitment in Australia this year and I believe salaries are about 20-40% lower there - depending on the skill set. Sydney obviously commands a premium but not enough to compensate for the increased costs of living there - in my opinion.

ROBnCAZ Nov 25th 2005 6:20 am

Hi,

Thanks,

Usually in the UK people earn around GBP3500 per month after tax????????
They got any jobs going at that firm?
Bad information source methinks dude!

Buzzy--Bee Nov 25th 2005 6:22 am

Originally Posted by mercador
I've done alot of IT recruitment in Australia this year and I believe salaries are about 20-40% lower there - depending on the skill set. Sydney obviously commands a premium but not enough to compensate for the increased costs of living there - in my opinion.

I work in IT in London and am planning to move to Melbourne.

I have compared my basic salary here now to what the salary surveys say I should earn in Oz. It seems that my ozzie salary is calculated as follows -

Salary in pounds x 1.5 = salary in AU$.

What I mean is, for every £10,000 I earn here I expect to earn AU$15,000 in Oz.

Would anyone like to comment on this estimate?

Cheers

Buzzy

Melchels Nov 25th 2005 6:25 am

Hi,

Thanks,

Are you sure that you haven't got the figures around the wrong way? £2100 for UK $3500 for Aus?

mercador Nov 25th 2005 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I work in IT in London and am planning to move to Melbourne.

I have compared my basic salary here now to what the salary surveys say I should earn in Oz. It seems that my ozzie salary is calculated as follows -

Salary in pounds x 1.5 = salary in AU$.

What I mean is, for every £10,000 I earn here I expect to earn AU$15,000 in Oz.

Would anyone like to comment on this estimate?

Cheers

Buzzy

It depends what you do. If you're senior management or have some hot skill set I'd say yes. For normal operations or development jobs I'd say 1000ukp = 1500 Aus$ is very optimistic... in my experience.

Only a few managers in our Australian IT organization make more than $60k, but I've got plenty of people in the UK on more than 40k ukp. 1000ukp = 1200 Aus$ would seem like more realistic estimate. But this is only my experience in my company and your mileage may vary...

Lerop Pekill Nov 25th 2005 6:43 am

Originally Posted by mercador
It depends what you do. If you're senior management or have some hot skill set I'd say yes. For normal operations or development jobs I'd say 1000ukp = 1500 Aus$ is very optimistic... in my experience.

Only a few managers in our Australian IT organization make more than $60k, but I've got plenty of people in the UK on more than 40k ukp. 1000ukp = 1200 Aus$ would seem like more realistic estimate. But this is only my experience in my company and your mileage may vary...

I earn slightly more in Aus than i did in the UK. With two yearly bonuses i would exceed what i earned in the UK, but i never count on bonuses. :D

wargod Nov 25th 2005 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Lerop Pekill
I earn slightly more in Aus than i did in the UK. With two yearly bonuses i would exceed what i earned in the UK, but i never count on bonuses. :D

Show off :D - Although Hungry Jacks do pay better then McDonalds;);):D